Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Uh-Oh, DH says hsing isn't working :(
November 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I have to change some things, which I have been in the process of doing anyway.  But I came home a little late today from work and DH was really on edge.  He finally let it out that he was really annoyed with the kids playing video games too much, and he feels they aren't learning enough (they only sit and do school work for about 2-3 hours a day).

Here's the thing, I totally agree with him...but twice a week I leave at 11am and he sleeps until 3pm (he works nights, so he sleeps about 8:30am-3pm).  The other days I leave around 2:15 and he sleeps until 3.  The kids definitely take advantage of this and get a lot of screen time.  Then DH kind of takes it easy in the afternoons and the kids continue to play video games.  They are 10 and 11 so don't quite get the moderation thing, once they are in it they just lose track of time and could play all day.  (DH could also remind them to turn it off once he is up...so this is not just on me or the kids).

So we set a new rule, one hour a day of video games.  They can have other TV time if it's educational.  We haven't had strict screen time rules.  They know how to use a timer on their ipods, so they will need to set the timer and follow it.  They are really good kids and will follow this rule even without a parent watching (this is why I have felt we didn't need to be too strict here, since they really do follow the rules and the video games or a movie helps keep them entertained so DH can sleep).

We also have been stuck in history and DH is annoyed by that, he thinks that's one of the more important subjects...I am LOST in history.  So I sat down with him and the SOTW table of contents and we picked out what he feels is important in ancient history.  So I will try to get through these few things over the next few weeks, and then have him go through medieval history with me.  He thinks we have only been learning about Egypt since September and was annoyed the kids didn't know who Cleopatra was...so we are hitting Cleopatra tomorrow and then moving on to Ancient Greece.  Hopefully they remember something we learn so it doesn't seem like I am teaching them nothing :(  I am also thinking documentaries or something for when I am not home. 

Sorry this is so long, I don't want to send them back to PS.  I need them to take an interest in learning (this was another point from DH as well and I just had this conversation with them yesterday) and I need to find more to keep them learning even without a parent right there.  If anyone has any encouraging words or advice, please share :)

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    November 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Are you doing the literature suggestions with SOTW? They could work from their respective levels in their corresponding literature while you're gone.

In other words, give homework while you're gone.

"Today in history we read about cleopatra, while Mom is at work, you need to: read chapters 1 and 2 from your corresponding literature assignment and write a one paragraph summary about what you read. In science today we covered famous chemists, while I'm gone, you need to: look up one of the chemists we discussed and put together a brochure about his life. In math today we worked with dividing decimals, here is a sheet to work on - nothing is new, just to review what we learned today. Today in english we learned about adverbs; I want you to underline all adverbs in your history summary. If there's something you get stuck on and need help with, put it to the side and I'll help you when I get home. When you are finished, you may have one hour of free screen time!"

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    November 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

We all have different learning priorities, and different aspects of knowledge that hold our fascination.  I'm kinda wacky with my history.  We read SOTW, but the kids don't enjoy it so much, and I'm not entirely focused on it.  We also study what the kids are interested in, so when K did her project on Benjamin Franklin, we took time to watch Liberty's Kids as well.  That was fun.  Good luck figuring it all out.  I need to figure things out, too!

• Precious333
    November 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    We do story of the world as well. I agree, finding additional things to read on it. Sotw also has activity books and tests.

Also, i dont let my kids play any games or watch tv until threy are done with their work, but like you, we only do 2 or so hours of school daily. So, somedays I will tell them to entertain themselves, which is what i told them today, and my son decided to make a rocketship out of cardboard boxes :)
  • TJandKarasMom
    November 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM

A lot of the literature suggestions are too young for them, but I was also using Classical House of Learning to help with literature suggestions.  But the first book DS had no interest in (DD read the series though) and the second book, even I couldn't get through a few chapters...but they did, DS read the whole thing and DD read a lot of it even though she hated it.  It's hard for me to force them to read an entire book they completely hate.  I would much rather they enjoy it at least a little.  Maybe I will look at the list again though and find the topics DH thinks we need to hit and see what there is for those.

I am loving the idea of 'homework' while I'm gone.  I have really just been giving them their couple of hours and if they don't finish in the morning, they work while I'm gone.  But I like the idea of using that more as a review time and reading time.  But they definitely need me to assign stuff, they don't have enough of an interest to learn on their own yet.  I need to spend more time planning so they have something to do in the afternoons.  Thank you for the ideas :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Are you doing the literature suggestions with SOTW? They could work from their respective levels in their corresponding literature while you're gone.

"Today in history we read about cleopatra, while Mom is at work, you need to: read chapters 1 and 2 from your corresponding literature assignment and write a one paragraph summary about what you read. In science today we covered famous chemists, while I'm gone, you need to: look up one of the chemists we discussed and put together a brochure about his life. In math today we worked with dividing decimals, here is a sheet to work on - nothing is new, just to review what we learned today. Today in english we learned about adverbs; I want you to underline all adverbs in your history summary. If there's something you get stuck on and need help with, put it to the side and I'll help you when I get home. When you are finished, you may have one hour of free screen time!"

• TJandKarasMom
    November 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I want them to do more of that entertain yourselves and it turn into a project!  Our problem lately is that when they do something like that, they get stuck.  We built catapults a few weeks ago and in our research we came across a book and that is all DS talks about now.  He wants the book and just keeps asking for it.  And he just keeps working on building mini "weapons" and DD copies whatever he does, so if he works on that she does too.  It's not a bad thing sometimes, but he won't come up with any other ideas at all, he is just stuck on the mini weapons.  I wish they would work on something different, but this happens any time we get into something they are interested in, they just get stuck.

Quoting Precious333:

We do story of the world as well. I agree, finding additional things to read on it. Sotw also has activity books and tests.

Also, i dont let my kids play any games or watch tv until threy are done with their work, but like you, we only do 2 or so hours of school daily. So, somedays I will tell them to entertain themselves, which is what i told them today, and my son decided to make a rocketship out of cardboard boxes :)

• Precious333
    November 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Paper airplanes? Lol

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I want them to do more of that entertain yourselves and it turn into a project!  Our problem lately is that when they do something like that, they get stuck.  We built catapults a few weeks ago and in our research we came across a book and that is all DS talks about now.  He wants the book and just keeps asking for it.  And he just keeps working on building mini "weapons" and DD copies whatever he does, so if he works on that she does too.  It's not a bad thing sometimes, but he won't come up with any other ideas at all, he is just stuck on the mini weapons.  I wish they would work on something different, but this happens any time we get into something they are interested in, they just get stuck.

Quoting Precious333:

• tuffymama
    November 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    I know that video games aren't really championed for creating minds geared to learning, and (ASD) LO's therapist specifically told us they would reduce his ability to pay attention in therapy and school. An hour a day of video games is still a LOT. Also, vitamin D can help them learn more fluidly and retain more of what they learn, if they are low on D now. Do they get enough sun? If Dad works nights, he could probably benefit from D3 supplementation, too. It might make him less grumpy about HS ;)

Aside from a few peeks at SOTW and reading reviews here and elsewhere, I have no experience with it, so I don't know timeline or schedule. However, if the kids are learning, I say take it at their pace. If they aren't learning and you're moving slowly enough to give them time to digest it all, it might be time to reevaluate the curriculum or remove all external stimuli and roadblocks to their learning. A simple daily schedule change could do it.
  • AutymsMommy
    November 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    Want me to ask Autumn for some of her favorite ancient history related books? Also, you may consider moving to one of the later sotw books... They are written in increased difficulty and one if the later volumes may hold their interest a bit better. I know Autumn found it terribly boring when we tried it in grade 5.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

A lot of the literature suggestions are too young for them, but I was also using Classical House of Learning to help with literature suggestions.  But the first book DS had no interest in (DD read the series though) and the second book, even I couldn't get through a few chapters...but they did, DS read the whole thing and DD read a lot of it even though she hated it.  It's hard for me to force them to read an entire book they completely hate.  I would much rather they enjoy it at least a little.  Maybe I will look at the list again though and find the topics DH thinks we need to hit and see what there is for those.

I am loving the idea of 'homework' while I'm gone.  I have really just been giving them their couple of hours and if they don't finish in the morning, they work while I'm gone.  But I like the idea of using that more as a review time and reading time.  But they definitely need me to assign stuff, they don't have enough of an interest to learn on their own yet.  I need to spend more time planning so they have something to do in the afternoons.  Thank you for the ideas :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• debramommyof4
    November 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Plus you can give them points to earn extra game time if they work while you are gone.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• Jinx-Troublex3
    November 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    I dont know what your budget is like, but Science in a Nutshell boxes would be a good suggestion. They are about $40 a box but contain enough materials for three kids. They are designed for grades 2-6 and your two should be able to do one cooperatively with little or no supervision.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN