Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Micala35
Agitated
November 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM
My daughter is 8 and in co op today there was another child telling them that Santa doesn't exist. I don't care that her parents chose not to do the Santa thing, but could they have asked her not to ruin for the others?? Rant over! :)

Replies

• debramommyof4
    November 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    When my older girls were told at 4 and 3, I told them that I Still believe in Santa and he is very real. They still believe to this day. They know that Santa brings the best presents and if they do not believe they do not get them.
  • Precious333
    November 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    :( that sucks. We dont do Santa, but we also make sure our kids dont spoil it for other kids (like their.cousins)
  • Pukalani79
    November 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM

My kids ask me every so often and I'll just ask them, "What do you think?" After they answer and explain, then we leave it there. I don't say either way, just let them come to their own conclusions.  They have been told by friends that Santa doesn't exist and they just brush it off. 

• bluerooffarm
    November 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Okay, don't beat me up or anything....but.....It is usually around 8 that a child begins to question the existence of Santa.  And they usually want others to help them keep believing but they go about it wrong.  They often say things like "Mommy told me he doesn't exist." or "There's no way Santa exists."  Then they really want other kids to give them reasons he does or why they know he exists.  They are waiting for that argument.  The other parent may have no way of knowing that this spoiler was coming.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

All of my kids know that he isn't real per their request to know! They also know that some of their friends still believe & that it would be hurtful to tell them he didn't!

• chotovec82
    November 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    My husband and I chose not to perpetuate the whole Santa thing. Since our kids know the truth; I did tell them that they shouldn't go around telling other kids that Santa doesn't exist. However, if it comes up in the conversation; I feel that my child has just as much right to state their opinions on the matter as the child who believes that he is real. After that it's up to the individual child to believe for himself if my son is right or if he is wrong. I am not going to teach my child to lie to other kids; even if it is a white lie. I'm also not going to make my child be silent in a conversation because he has a different viewpoint. However all in all I've only had one incident of my child telling someone that it wasn't real. It was at my house and the mom brought it up knowing that we don't teach our kid that. My son basically said that the tooth fairy isn't real. He didn't really say it to the kid; he said it to the mother. She said, "you need to talk to your son." I said about what? You know that they don't believe in it so if you want your kids to maintain their belief in the fairy tale than don't bring it up over here. It's not my job to make sure my kids maintain other peoples fairy tales.
  • celticdragon77
    November 20, 2013 at 3:50 AM

I didnt lie to my kids out of tradition. Nor did I have to deal with my kids finding out that I lied to them. 

Its confusing for the kids on both sides of the coin. All of my kids were like "whatever" about it all. They knew santa wasnt real; that he was a fictional character just the same as any disney character. My youngest daughter though, when she heard some kids mention that santa was real, she was really hurt and asked why I didnt believe in him. She SO wanted to believe just because her friends did. 

I don't know every conversation my kids had with other kids concerning santa. I just know that my kids were always told the truth from me.   

An excellent tradition to start, is to take your kids to a foster home to donate toys. Those kids are lucky to even have a present much less worry about if santa is real. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    I think kids should be taught that it's not polite to pee in anyone's Wheaties about anything including Santa. I hate when there is some mean hearted nine year old telling kids the *truth*. Honestly, if my kid purposely ruined it for another kid, Santa would bring coal and socks and not much else.
  • Muscadine1
    November 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    This!
    My two are older now and they do not spoil the fun for other kiddos.

Quoting usmom3: All of my kids know that he isn't real per their request to know! They also know that some of their friends still believe & that it would be hurtful to tell them he didn't!
  • Muscadine1
    November 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    I agree! Just plain old good manners.. LOLing at peeing in Wheaties

Quoting mem82:

I think kids should be taught that it's not polite to pee in anyone's Wheaties about anything including Santa. I hate when there is some mean hearted nine year old telling kids the *truth*. Honestly, if my kid purposely ruined it for another kid, Santa would bring coal and socks and not much else.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN