Homeschooling Moms

ladyofnight
Anyone else experience this with their homeschooler?
November 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Yes ladies, I am back but this time asking for advice or something. I was working with my youngest today who is 6. He cannot remember how to count to twenty, let alone remember what the numbers are. But today I set out a bunch of play coins and asked him to pull out a fraction of them (example 1/4 of a dollar, 1/2 and 3/4 of a dollar etc.) I took it all the way up to 20ths. He gpt each and every one right, but asking him to count and point out numbers and sequences, he just can't do it. 

Have any of you had this issue? He can also add and subtract so long as you tell him what the number is. He'll do it for you all day. He's even picking up on his brother's times tables. When brother gets lost or confused, he picks him back up. This is weird for me since I completely stink at math myself. Even DH was shocked, proud, but shocked at how easily he gets that. 

Replies

• debramommyof4
    November 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I have not ran into that.  But maybe as you go upstairs with him you can count them or point out numbers and tell him what they are if you see them everyday.  He might pick it up that way.  Hope someone comes along with better advice.

• Mandallyn
    November 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    It took my oldest (6 now, 7 in Jan) a long time to understand how numbers progress and the patterns for 10-19, 20-29, etc. He was well over 6 1/2 before he really understood the pattern. He's good at it, but still getting it down. I think his mild dyslexia comes into play with that occasionally. (He'll sometimes write 51 instead of 15. It's becoming less frequent.)

My middle child has a really hard time including all the numbers through his teens. For a long time he couldn't count to ten, but he recognized all of his numbers 0-9.

I really don't know how to tackle that, even repetition didn't work well with my middle child. It seems like my middle kind of out grew it some. I would think that if he gets math so well he'll eventually understand the pattern and order of numbers. Have you tried something abstract to link his addition with number order? 1+1=2+1=3
  • ladyofnight
    November 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

No I haven't but I love that idea! :) I may try that with him after Turkey day. He's having the exact same problems as you just explained. But he sometimes actually writes his numbers (the actual character number) backward, like take the numbers 2, 5, 6, 9, and even 7 oand 3 then flip them where they are like a mirror image, with 6 and 9, he writes them upside down and sometimes backwards,and seven the same way. It's really difficult for him because with the single digits like this being all befuzzled to him, adding the pattern of 10-19, 20-29 etc...has got to be absulotely mentally painful for him. I'm thinking along with the possibility of dyslexia, he could have dyscalcula. So long as you can explain it to him verbally he makes perfect grades. It's all very hard and frustrating for not only him, but for all of us. Even his brother has tried helping him and he feels so bad for him. But I'm telling you, the kid knows fractions lol. 

Quoting Mandallyn:

It took my oldest (6 now, 7 in Jan) a long time to understand how numbers progress and the patterns for 10-19, 20-29, etc. He was well over 6 1/2 before he really understood the pattern. He's good at it, but still getting it down. I think his mild dyslexia comes into play with that occasionally. (He'll sometimes write 51 instead of 15. It's becoming less frequent.)

My middle child has a really hard time including all the numbers through his teens. For a long time he couldn't count to ten, but he recognized all of his numbers 0-9.

I really don't know how to tackle that, even repetition didn't work well with my middle child. It seems like my middle kind of out grew it some. I would think that if he gets math so well he'll eventually understand the pattern and order of numbers. Have you tried something abstract to link his addition with number order? 1+1=2+1=3

• romacox
    by romacox
    November 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Yes I have seen this. Both hands on learners and analytical personalities, tend to look at it this way. If it is not accomplishing something, it is a waste of their time.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    November 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    My son had this issue but he had an eye issue that contributed.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I have not dealt with that but it is very normal for children to need repetition to help remember basic information! I would not worry about it just gently remind him when he struggles & move on don't make a big deal out of it!

• celticdragon77
    November 20, 2013 at 3:42 AM

What have you been using to teach math?

• SMTCMMoore
    November 20, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    Interesting! We have the same struggle at 5. But I haven't introduced fractions yet.
  • ladyofnight
    November 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM

We use both visual aid and repetition with him. For some reason he just gets fractons. Was weird but great at the same time lol. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

What have you been using to teach math?

• ladyofnight
    November 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I just don't understand how he get something so complex, yet still not know his numbers 1-100 yet. He just astounds me sometimes. He's alos got a pretty extensive vocabulary for a 6 year old. He surprises even me at times and I was a kid who used the word Chlaustrophobic at his age. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but his dad and grandpa are construction workers lol. 

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Interesting! We have the same struggle at 5. But I haven't introduced fractions yet.

Homeschooling Moms