Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Howardx5
HI! I'm new! :)
November 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Hello! Im Cassi, mom to 3 beautiful kids. ages 6, 3, and 1. My oldest is a first grader (public schools) but were having trouble with her teacher not challenging my daughter. 

We're "homeschooling" part time (when she gets home from public school). My daughter LOVES to learn and she isnt learning anything new in class. the teacher is teaching material my child learned in pre-k. So it's one big social party for her. 

My daughter loves reading (she reads at nearly a 4th grade level) and writing so we (well she) write a lot of little books. 

Shes recently had this obsession with space so we started learning about the planets. Well probably finish the last few up tomorrow. 

Im at a loss of what to start next. She is so eager to learn and is begging me to teach her more but i just dont know where to start! Suggestions? I was thinking maybe the human atatomy. 

All her teacher is "teaching" in class is language arts and math from what ive seen so im trying to find other things to interest her. we started some simple multiplication and she caught on quickly but shes totally confused by division so we're backing away from those. 

Thanks for any help yall can offer! (:

Replies

• debramommyof4
    November 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM

We are studying anatomy now and you can go into history with Little House on the Prairie. 

Sounds like a smart little girl.  THat is part of the reason we pulled our now 7 year old in kindergarten and started fully homeschooling.

• Howardx5
    November 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Was it a hard transition? Ive always debated on homeschooling but not sure I could handle it full time. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

We are studying anatomy now and you can go into history with Little House on the Prairie. 

Sounds like a smart little girl.  THat is part of the reason we pulled our now 7 year old in kindergarten and started fully homeschooling.

• debramommyof4
    November 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    Not really. We had done Early Enrollment kindergarten at home before sending her to public school. So I knew that regular long school days did not work. We needed a set plan and then lots of learning after to keep our minds busy.

My dd hates to be bored so she is always exploring and learning or looking up or observing things. We have changed a lot since then and I have found ways to homeschool all my children. But if you remember that school does not need to take 8 hours and learning can be fun, but you will run into things neither of you like it is worth it.

I decided public school was not an option for my children so I have to make sure it works.

If you decide to homeschool, as long as you are determined and flexible you will find the right path. Even on the hard days I would not change our decision. And since we started writing papers trust me I dream of school bus es some days. But when I think about it this is the right choice for us.

Quoting Howardx5:

Was it a hard transition? Ive always debated on homeschooling but not sure I could handle it full time. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    November 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Amazing book on human anatomy.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-We-Work-Getting/dp/0618233784/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384694735&sr=8-1&keywords=way+we+work

Use living books for history. Look them up on google especially charlotte mason methods.

We do biology in the summer, physic and chemistry alternating years. All science is built around those 3 sciences.

Pick a topic and go in depth. This year we are doing caption's dog which is the stoty of lewis and clark from the point of view from the dog Seaman.

Also go to the library and see what things spark her interest.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    November 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    Also if you have the time full time homeschooling is not that hard. It is very time consuming but very rewarding. It will not be easy but it isn't hard. There will be ups and downs.
  • kirbymom
    November 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    Hi. Welcome to the group. :)
    You can go in any direction. With anatomy, you can start with the digestive system. You can also combine it with math by baking or cooking. You can cook something that you can show how the digestive system works. You can even talk about the history of the digestive system in that how it has been discovered to do "?". And this is just the beginning. :)
  • Howardx5
    November 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! 

• TidewaterClan
    November 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    What are her interests? Science & social studies rock but often get left out at public school. There are fun science labs (tornado in a jar was a hit here) you can google since you're doing extra work just for fun.
  • Howardx5
    November 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM

She loves writing and has a huge imagination so if she had it her way shed write books all day. 

her and her brother started this "i love you to space and back" or "I love you to mars and back" so we started with the planets. 

We do alot of home-ec type stuff. she loves to cook and bake. 

we havent really introduced science or history. i was horrible at history and not even sure where to start when teaching it.

shes interesting in clouds and the different types so i guess the tornado stuff would be cool to start. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

What are her interests? Science & social studies rock but often get left out at public school. There are fun science labs (tornado in a jar was a hit here) you can google since you're doing extra work just for fun.

• TidewaterClan
    November 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    Oh that's so sweet! Those books are definitely worth keeping. :)

History is our favorite subject, but I give my dad the credit for making it interesting. He's the one who would go more in depth when my brother & I were doing homework & make it come alive. I'm trying to do the same for my girls.

My girls love going to history museums. I use that as a springboard (aside from our regular books) to find library books or information over the Internet.

I hope that helps somewhat. It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job supplementing what's happening in public school.

Quoting Howardx5:

She loves writing and has a huge imagination so if she had it her way shed write books all day. 

her and her brother started this "i love you to space and back" or "I love you to mars and back" so we started with the planets. 

We do alot of home-ec type stuff. she loves to cook and bake. 

we havent really introduced science or history. i was horrible at history and not even sure where to start when teaching it.

shes interesting in clouds and the different types so i guess the tornado stuff would be cool to start. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN