Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
debramommyof4
Thomas Jefferson Education
November 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Has anyone used a program that uses it?  My oldest has the oppurtunity to start working with it next year and I was looking into it.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    I have not. Bump
  • Leissaintexas
    November 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I read the book, but do not implement it.  It seemed to me to just be a CM method with an emphasis on classics. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see how it would be any better than anyting else out there.

• debramommyof4
    November 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    Ok. I was just looking into it.

The group here in town does not have a website and I will never be a fully child led homeschooler, but it sounds like something my 7 year old might enjoy.

I just want opinions so I can work through it since it is fairly expensive and while yes we have a year to come up with the money, I do not want to spend it and then we all hate it.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I read the book, but do not implement it.  It seemed to me to just be a CM method with an emphasis on classics. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see how it would be any better than anyting else out there.

• kirbymom
    November 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    I haven't. Is there a special reason why it is expensive?
  • debramommyof4
    November 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    I think it is the group itself and not the method. They do fund raising to, but I am not sure how we are going to do this if we decide to do it.

Quoting kirbymom:

I haven't. Is there a special reason why it is expensive?
  • kirbymom
    November 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    Well, I would be interested in knowing how it goes? We happen to like Thomas Jefferson.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I think it is the group itself and not the method. They do fund raising to, but I am not sure how we are going to do this if we decide to do it.

Quoting kirbymom:I haven't. Is there a special reason why it is expensive?

• AutymsMommy
    November 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I haven't heard anything good about it, honestly.

I would suggest you hop over to the Well Trained Mind forums and, in the search box (in quotation marks), search "Thomas Jefferson Education". You'll see what pops up.

• debramommyof4
    November 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I am still looking into it and am going to talk to them to see how it is going to go.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, I would be interested in knowing how it goes? We happen to like Thomas Jefferson.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting kirbymom:I haven't. Is there a special reason why it is expensive?

• debramommyof4
    November 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I found one post about it there and their concern was that the child was not learning enough.  It would only be one day a week so I wonder if that would change it.  I will go over there and ask them also.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I haven't heard anything good about it, honestly.

I would suggest you hop over to the Well Trained Mind forums and, in the search box (in quotation marks), search "Thomas Jefferson Education". You'll see what pops up.

• SusanTheWriter
    November 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I jokingly call it the "Dead White Man" education. Very classically oriented, very heavy on reason and logic and Latin. Basically, terrific if you want to raise a senator. There is a TJ boarding school nearby, so I did a very small amount of research before realizing that it was absolutely wrong for our DD. But I can honestly see where it would work well for someone who highly valued a strictly classical education.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts