Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
monkeybunns
So how do you know for sure your kid is gifted?
November 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM

So I am just wondering how do you know for sure your kid is gifted?  I really am not pro-putting a label on my kiddo but he begged me to learn how to read when he was 2 1/2 and is 5 1/2 and doing 2nd grade work and some 3rd grade work.  I pulled out Saxon 2 to start working and he knows how to do over half of the book-he needs to learn fractions and multiplication and division but already has a grasp on some basics of those anyways.  He's just burning through curriculum which is fine but it's hard to budget for it and I'm not sure where to go on math for him especially because he gets bored really easily.  It's taking a ton of time for me to sit down and evaluate which lessons to do and which to skip.  He's worth it I'm just having a rough pregnancy so it's hard to sit down and focus with a 2 1/2 year old (also begging to read like brother and already knows his letter sounds so we're starting to sound out words).  Anyways I don't know who to talk to about this.  I already am worried about testing because our state requires it however they don't let you report until they're 7 and we'll be moving before that school year after he turns 7 because my husband *should* be finishing grad school at that point. 

And before I get attacked I don't force him to do school or anything I follow his lead-if you don't have anything nice to say please don't comment because trust me I've already been attacked plenty over the past few years by people that think that kids shouldn't have any formal education the first 7 years of life.  That just wouldn't work for him and when I was flat on the couch he taught himself astronomy and other subjects from books we had on the shelf.

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    November 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Lol, no one is gonna attack you in here for any of that! 

He sounds like a good candidate for academically gifted to me. 

Is he burning through all subjects? 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I would just keep putting things in front of him that interest him or you think might & let him go!

• debramommyof4
    November 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I would not worry about it.  My children are not quite where your son is but pretty advanced.  I do not worry about the test.  If they are advance then they will probably do well and if not who cares.

• Bluecalm
    November 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    My 3 year old is pretty advanced and I provide him with a variety of materials and opportunities to explore his world. I think as long as you do that he'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about testing.
  • ablackdolphin
    November 14, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    I attended a gifted seminar by someone who is gifted at our expo.

Interesting stuff! Gifted kids get bored with things they already know so don't beat a dead horse. They often have a fast brain but slow body so things like writing might be frustrating to them. Meaning they know what they need to do but their body isn't as easily controlled.

Often active.

She said that sadly gifted do not succeed as often as"normal" and that when you teach them they do not need MORE work they need better work. Again not beating a dead horse.

She said to watch for what they avoid that is where you need to teach. They are used to things being easy and avoid things that are a challenge. Handwriting seemed to be a theme for her. That whatever their challenge you need to force them to deal with it that for gifted kids the sooner they learn that life lesson the better because they will learn it at one time or another. They are not used to struggle KWIM?

My DD started reading at 2 as well and is crazy into science! Last night she drew a pic and declared look I drew a cochlea....she is 4 . I am constantly scratching my head wondering is she is part alien or just reincarnated! lol
  • ablackdolphin
    November 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    Her name was Randy St Denis. I think she is a consultant in Ga and will take calls etc might be worth talking to her she was awesome!
  • ablackdolphin
    November 14, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    Might be Randi
  • PurpleCupcake
    November 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I completely agree. Quality over quantity of work. 

The only one point I might disagree with and that is that they avoid challenges, the gifted kids I've seen relish challenges that are above what other kids thier age are doing. 

I would also add they tend to be more aware and sensitive to problems in the world and they are much more aware in general. 

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I attended a gifted seminar by someone who is gifted at our expo.

Interesting stuff! Gifted kids get bored with things they already know so don't beat a dead horse. They often have a fast brain but slow body so things like writing might be frustrating to them. Meaning they know what they need to do but their body isn't as easily controlled.

Often active.

She said that sadly gifted do not succeed as often as"normal" and that when you teach them they do not need MORE work they need better work. Again not beating a dead horse.

She said to watch for what they avoid that is where you need to teach. They are used to things being easy and avoid things that are a challenge. Handwriting seemed to be a theme for her. That whatever their challenge you need to force them to deal with it that for gifted kids the sooner they learn that life lesson the better because they will learn it at one time or another. They are not used to struggle KWIM?

My DD started reading at 2 as well and is crazy into science! Last night she drew a pic and declared look I drew a cochlea....she is 4 . I am constantly scratching my head wondering is she is part alien or just reincarnated! lol

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    November 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    My son is gifted. Reading early is not a sign. Einstein didn't read til later. Some read early and some don't. My son didn't ask until he turned 5. He literally went from not reading to reading at a 3rd grade level in 2 months. I have never had him tested. I just read articles books. I highly recommend Homeschooling Your Gifted Child.

I would look at characteristics of gifted child and see how many he Has. My son showed signs at 1 year old. You might want to consider unschooling. It is what works for my son. Gifted kids require more help than I realized. They are a very at risk group. So many never reach their full potential.
  • bluerooffarm
    November 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Well, part of me wants to answer that all kids are gifted.  By gifted we typically mean children with an IQ over 135.  So an IQ test would be helpful for telling if your child is truly gifted in the clinical sense of the word.  Children with a high IQ often have a set of behaviors.... they get bored by repetition, when they "get it" they want to move on.  They like to put things together and figure things out on their own, so puzzles and inductive learning  are quite fun for them.  So instead of actually starting out with a math lesson saying this is how you do it, begin the lesson with the problems and a few manipulatives and have them try to figure out how to do it.  I usually start my oldest son off with word problems instead of the written problems.  I give him the math manipulative blocks (c-rods if you use Miquon or mani-blocks if using MUS) and we read a problem together and he tries to work out how he could use the math blocks to answer the question.  He often can figure it out.  But I watch to make sure he doesn't get too frustrated.  That was how our very awesome gifted teacher taught us math in late elementary school and I really wished my earlier teachers would have done it that way.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts