Homeschooling Moms

LavenderMom23
Going off the beaten path
November 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I've home schooled my special needs daughter much better than the public school was capable for the past two years now. But after two years of following a set curriculum I am finding some things that don't quite mesh with our schedules and learning styles. I am thinking of just purchasing some of the books from the program and going through them on our time. But I am worried because one day I will be a nurse and she'll have to go back to public schools. I don't want to miss an important concept. Right now she's only in first grade. 

How important is it to purchase a program vs. just using their workbooks on your schedule for elementary years?

Also, what age do they start working independently more? If I don't graduate until 2016, will she be more indepent with her work by then?

Are there any subjects that are better learned with more freedom to choose what you learn within them?

Replies

• debramommyof4
    November 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

It depends on the child.  My 2 older girls have been independent since k.  My son is doing k at 4.5 and is not independent at all and I do not see another year fixing that for him.  But in 3 I imagine he would be.  None of my children are special needs however and that may play a huge part into when she would be more independent.

I do not that that getting the workbooks would hurt as long as you are learning the material.  I do not buy a curriculum though we are using parts of things here and there.  We pretty much pick and choose things that fit our need.

• romacox
    by romacox
    November 13, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Congratulations for improving your child's education.  She is likely ahead of where she would be in the PS system,

I am not big on forcing children to measure up to a standard set by someone who does not even know the the child.  In fact, cognitive studies reveal that there can be a 3 year difference in the learning of any "normal" child.  So a one size fits all approach is a disaster for many children.  

However, if you are planning on possibly  sending your child back to public school, it might be helpful to know their grade level requirements...use them accordingly. with a grain of salt.    Grade Level Requirements.Grade Level Requirements

• romacox
    by romacox
    November 13, 2013 at 6:42 AM

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to your family too

• paganbaby
    November 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I'm with Roma on this one. By the time your dd goes back to public school, I'm sure she'll be ahead of where she would be if you never HSed her.

With that said, have you considered what you would do if she doesn't take to PS? My ds has been home since he was 6. He's 8 now and doing great but I knwo if I tried to put him back in PS it would a disaster for everyone.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts