Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bleacher-mom
How much do you practice for the Test?
November 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM
For those of you whose children have to take the test every year, how much do you practice for it and what do you use to practice? And how much do you push for them to get good scores?

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    November 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I like the scoring high series. We didn't have to take the test every year but we did because I was trying to get them ready for college prep tests and get my son over his text anxiety. We took a week to do test prep each year before using a second week for testing.

• bluerooffarm
    November 13, 2013 at 7:05 AM

We don't really practice for the test.  I've told them that their scores do not matter to me because I know they are learning and I will fight for them to stay home even if they "blow" the test.  It really takes the pressure off. 

• misselphaba
    November 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

In Colorado they only have to score higher than 13%, and if they don't, they can take the test again.  Honestly, I think a monkey could take a fill in the bubble test and score higher than the 13th percentile.  So, we don't teach to the test at all.  We learn what we learn and fill in any "gaps" as we see them.  

• paganbaby
    November 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

We'ere lucky not to have to take any tests. So here's a bump!

• debramommyof4
    November 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    This is our first year to have to take it. We do not practice for the test. They give scant on tests yearly for my oldest two girls now and they are scoring above grade level. And we have never practiced for the tests, so I do not worry.

This is my oldest dd's first year to have to take the star test so that should be fun. I may find some worksheets with bubbles to fill in before then so she can practice filling them in completely, but that is it.

Part of the reason I am glad I homeschool is that I hate that schools teach to the test.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    November 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    When my oldest tested, we would use a test prep book from Spectrum. It helped her get used to the test format.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts