Homeschooling Moms

JaniceEckenroth
Holiday Learning Tips - anyone have some good ideas?
November 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I am seeking some ideas to keep the learning going during the holday season, in SPITE of all the stress of shopping, cooking, family gatherings, etc

I am hoping to keep it both fun and educational.  I am looking for any ideas you may have for elementary and middle school grades.  Activities, subject/topics- anything that has worked for you before.

Thank you!

Janice

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Having them help make & write the shopping list, helping with the budget, cooking & baking can all be educational & a big help to you! Make a point to learn one new thing about the holiday everyday! Have the older children help the younger ones make ornaments for the tree. Give them some money & let them budget shopping for everyone or have them buy the stuff to make things as gifts. I saw some simple no sew blanket kits at Walmart you could get some & have them work together to make them & then donate them to a shelter! That could open up a whole conversation about how thankful they are that they can give to others that are less fortunate then they are!  

• ablackdolphin
    November 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I will probably add some schooling in the weekends to make up for some of the fun but not as learning focused activities that we'll be doing for the next few months.  I also assigned science experiments to DH and he does those in the evening or weekends.

• JaniceEckenroth
    November 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Quoting usmom3:

Having them help make & write the shopping list, helping with the budget, cooking & baking can all be educational & a big help to you! Make a point to learn one new thing about the holiday everyday! Have the older children help the younger ones make ornaments for the tree. Give them some money & let them budget shopping for everyone or have them buy the stuff to make things as gifts. I saw some simple no sew blanket kits at Walmart you could get some & have them work together to make them & then donate them to a shelter! That could open up a whole conversation about how thankful they are that they can give to others that are less fortunate then they are! 

Love the community service idea - thank you! :)

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    Fractions while baking lol so cliché but it works.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    November 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    We do a lot of reading during this time of year.

Homeschooling Moms