Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Heather112611
should I have a curriculum for my two yr old?
November 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM
It seems like a lot of people are posting on fb and everywhere I look that their two yr. Olds are already saying all their alphabet, their shapes etc. I am a stay at home mom and we plan on homeschooling him. I do not want him to already be behind! We have a farm and are a very active family, so he is outside a lot and interacts with animals really well. He is not great at sitting for long and doesnt show an interest in drawing or crafts. But am not starting him early enough? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    November 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Sometimes when parents say thier toddlers are practically ready for Harvard, I doubt thier unbiased honesty!

Your kid sounds fine to me...actually he seems to have more social interaction than some kids. 

It's never too early to start learning. But I wouldn't buy a boxed curriculum for a kid that age.

Go to the dollar tree and buy some workbooks on letters, shapes, colors...that sort of thing. And read daily and you'll be fine. 

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    November 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    Talk to him about numbers and letters. Read to him as much as he will let you. I would wait until after 3 before I would think about sit down activities. I never did any curriculum before 1st grade.
  • -Teeter-Totter-
    November 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    I don't think so.

My 2 and 3 year olds don't know all their letters yet. We're not worried :)

We goof around with different things like montessori activities, nature journals, waldorf crafts, and read/ explore/ thumb through I-Spy books and children's encyclopedias. But those are for my enjoyment just as much as theirs :)

We just started "schooling" (if you can call it that at this age :D) a few months ago with the Starfall.com preschool package, now that DS is almost 4.

My moms rule of thumb was: learn letters at 3, sounds at 4, and worry about reading when they're asking to be apprenticed in the fine art :)

That's what we're going by and it seems to be working. I've got two nature lovers and although they love stories all day long, they have no interest in letters yet (DS is just starting).

If there was any curriculum I'd offer at that age, it'd be songs and nursery rhymes, stories/ music/ dancing, artsy crafty things and lots of time for inside/ outside free play.
    Also, when ready, introducing daily life chores like helping tidy up, washing hands, etc.

Good luck :)

ETA: I'm oober jealous of you being able to raise your little one on a farm! :D
  • AutymsMommy
    November 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Yes! Immediately go and spend $300 on a child who only came from your womb 24 months ago!!!

I kid, I kid.

Lol - no.

My son knew those things at 2 because we played with him - games, read books to him, etc. I do not know anyone who uses a curricula at 2... and I'm a fairly traditional (textbook) kind of gal with my kiddos.

No, no curricula for your little one. Get messy with him, sing to him, read to him, play with him.

• AutymsMommy
    November 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

A toddler who knows his/her letters and shapes isn't uncommon or harvard worthy - nothing to doubt, lol.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Sometimes when parents say thier toddlers are practically ready for Harvard, I doubt thier unbiased honesty!

Your kid sounds fine to me...actually he seems to have more social interaction than some kids. 

It's never too early to start learning. But I wouldn't buy a boxed curriculum for a kid that age.

Go to the dollar tree and buy some workbooks on letters, shapes, colors...that sort of thing. And read daily and you'll be fine. 

• ambcortez
    November 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM

DS was saying his alphabet at 2, but that was when he was my only child and I was a SAHM and lived farther away from friends and family. There wasn't much else to do. DD is 4 and just learned hers through homeschooling.

• Leissaintexas
    November 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

My youngest didn't know a single letter till he was nearly 5. he knew all his colors because he just asked a ton of quetions, and he knew shapes from playing eith them. I am a huge believer in the Raymond Moore philosophy of holding off on formal teaching till as late as 9. He is 11 now and you really can't tell him from a kid who started early. THere is no benenfit to it.

• PurpleCupcake
    November 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM

LOL.. I'm just saying it's the internet..I don't trust everyone!

I know toddlers can know that stuff. I just doubt those parents who make it seem a little too unbelievable.

If you told me that about your kid, I would believe you because I've read your posts and things like that.

I guess I dislike it when parents make new parents or new homeschoolers believe they must have a premium boxed curriculum for a toddler.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

A toddler who knows his/her letters and shapes isn't uncommon or harvard worthy - nothing to doubt, lol.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• AutymsMommy
    November 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Yeah. At 2, while my son knew those things, if I had presented him with a formal curriculum, he would have taken to his other favorite hobby and thrown it in the toilet (along with the cell phones and other misc crap he always threw in there, lol).

Toddlers need to play. They need to learn how to listen, how to find their own voice, how to pee on the potty (2 is even young for that!) - not any academics that they aren't naturally inclined to learn. I have the feeling my current babe (17 months) isn't going to be quite the academic his brother is - he strikes us as more the athletic one (you know, bouncing off couches and the like...).

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

LOL.. I'm just saying it's the internet..I don't trust everyone!

I know toddlers can know that stuff. I just doubt those parents who make it seem a little too unbelievable.

If you told me that about your kid, I would believe you because I've read your posts and things like that.

I guess I dislike it when parents make new parents or new homeschoolers believe they must have a premium boxed curriculum for a toddler.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• kyfiregirl
    November 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM

IM WORKING ON SHAPES AND COLORS AND SOUNDS OPPOSITES AND JUST READING WITH HER AND PRETEND PLAY. OF COURSE SHE WENT FOR HER CHECK UP AND PEDI SAID SHE SHOULD BE SAYING 75 OR MORE WORDS AND JUMPING AND HOPING AND KICKING BALLS AND APPARENTLY I NEED TO WORK WITH HER ON STUFF LIKE TELLING ME WHAT PICTURES ARE AND STACKING BLOCKS UP TO 4 HIGH AND OTHER FINE MOTOR I DIDNT THINK ABOUT! arg sorry for caps

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN