Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
krysxo
Spelling Help for 2nd - 3rd Grade
by krysxo
November 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Hi I'm a 1st year homeschooling we are in our 7th week of schooling. Let me list my curriculum, before I ask the help:

Phonics: Explode the Code

Spelling: I'm using K12reader.com lists (my 3rd grader is using 2nd grade list)

Language Arts: 1st language lessons (grammar) and Write with Ease

Math: MUS

History: SOTW

Science: BJU with tons of videos and worksheets

Ok, so I started homeschooling bc my 9 year old last year was going to FAIL after many attempts to get help in public school which she never got help w programs or anything. She was at 2nd grade, 2nd semester reading, and poor handwriting. Well her handwriting is night and day- I can actually READ it so I know what I'm doing to help her. Well using K12reader list at 2nd grade (since I feel Im doing catch up from public school and figured I could help her in summer with just spelling and language arts.) Well the lists have 16 WORDS- I thought that was alot, but a early educator and homeschooling mom said that sounded right. Since week 2 or 3, she started getting words wrong on her spelling test - I've been adding them to her next weeks list then go down the list from the next weeks words. Then, I found spellingcity and she has been doing amazing from 9 words wrong, we went to 3 words wrong. Well today was her pretest and she got 13/16 WRONG. Our spelling routine for the week is this:

Monday: Pretest, and then 3-5x each, and writing in sentence

Tues: SpellCity teach me the words, and 2 games

Wed: SpellCity 2 games

Thurs: abc and any other games they havent done

Fri: Test

Questions:

1- Is 16 words too much?

2- Any thoughts on supplementing something else (I can not afford all about spelling, so please dont offer that :/ )

3- Anyone heard and used ClickNKids Spelling? It says its a whole curriculum for up to 5th grade and thought maybe I can use that alone or to supplement?

Thank you for the help on your advice! I am thinking about using Soaring w Spelling w supplement last yr or I can start income tax time. Money is really tight atm.

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    November 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM

16 words a week? Yeah too much in my opinion.

I do 8-10 words

These are my weekly activities

Triangle words

(Butter)

B

Bu

But

Butt

Butte

Butter

Sentences

Rainbow words

B U T T E R

Write words 3 times each

Syllables

BUTT/ER

Cross word puzzles

Games

Make flash cards

Cut letters out of paper or use scrabble pieces and let them put the letters together with thier hands. 

Unscramble the word

Utetrb (butter)

Pretext day before test (not first thing). 

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I usually only do 12 words but every kid is different. Maybe you just need to switch it up a bit. I would suggest getting letter tiles she can manipulate and spell with. Maybe make a game where she has to write a story using half the words, etc. It could just be a bad week for her, too. 8)

• coala
    by coala
    November 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Our list had 18 words and that was first grade.  Every word on the list was based on a specific phonics sound they were focusing on and that included 15 words, the last 3 were sight words.  Our routine was to write them once each day during our lessons.  Then she had to look at the list and list them in alphabetic order (Friday), reverse alphabetic order (Monday), word scramble (Tuesday....with no word list printed with it), word search (Wednesday...again no word list), write each word 10x (Thursday), then test of Friday.  This worked really well for my oldest DD.  I'm not sure what we are going to do with our youngest when she starts 1st grade....she is spelling whiz like I was and didn't need much work.  My mom however, insisted that I write each word 10x everynight.  I don't think I ever failed a spelling test because of that.  When you do that you need to make sure that they are spelling the words correctly or they are going to se themselves up for failure.  Good luck.

• romacox
    by romacox
    November 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I teach spelling very similar to PurpleCupcake's method.  Sequential spelling calls them word families.  Kids learn vocabulary at the same time,

I often  use Ring Around The Phonics to turn it into a fun game, and teach root words, prefixes and suffixes (see # 3 for spelling).  It improves their vocabulary, spelling and reading all at the same time.

• KrissyKC
    November 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

We have Rod & Staff spelling.   Although, we only just started it this year because they wanted a "spelling class".   Other than vocabulary, spelling has been hit and miss with us after phonics because my older two are natural spellers.    We haven't put a big priority on it because they spell pretty good already.

My third, though, will probably need spelling.   She is 5 and struggles harder to learn than her siblings did. 

• KrissyKC
    November 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Oh, but a couple things we did was...

trace trouble words with bright colors so you have a black outline of the word (written big and spaced out a bit) and multiple colors tracing the letters coming out from there.   I thought about making a black light set up and doing it with neon colors, but haven't gotten around to that.

However, a pretest, writing 16 words 3-5 times each, and writing them in sentences is a lot of writing.   My kids would struggle with getting that done and still doing their other work.   If writing them isn't really working for her... what about building them out of blocks, tracing them on a light board repeatedly, making art out of some of the trouble words, or just doing some oral spelling.

And if 16 words is too much for her to do successfully, then drop 4-6 words each time.   It's better she learn 10 words well than 16 words not so well.    Most of those workbooks are broken down into a certain amount of work and aren't "year round" curriculum.   You can always go back during the summer and do the words you missed then.   Just keep track of which ones.

• KrissyKC
    November 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM

oh, and some kids are movement oriented.   You could laminate some letters to lay on the floor and have her dance/step on the letters.

• LavenderMom23
    November 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM

16 words is what my 3rd grader does through Seton Home Study. It's just about right :) It's a great spelling workbook if you're Catholic. It has catholic art on every page and some catholic spelling words like nun, priest, advent, etc.  But otherwise I don't know of other spelling programs. I know we focus on compound words for 3rd grade and larger words like Christmas and others about that length but my mind is drawing a blank.

• debramommyof4
    November 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM

We are doing spelling work out B for my 2nd grader, who is a horrible speller, and it is 10 words and she is doing good. 

We do a pretest, she writes the words she misses 5 times each.

The next 3 days she does worksheets, one a day and not much to it then on Friday we retest and she has not missed one yet but we are only on week 3 with that.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    November 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    Eek..some of y'all have little guys doing a lot of writing!

All About Spelling is my go to! It is multisensory and takes aboit 15 minutes a day and there are 10words per lesson. I started doing it with my DD in 3rd but it is designed to start in k or 1st. It is set up by spelling families or rules as well. DD is a bit advanced and DS2 is has a mild learning disability so they do it together well.

I also liked Spelling Power for a while but like OP, I added and words DS missed to his new list and it became overwhelming. One good thing from SP is a whole list of fun ways to practice spelling. I put about 20 of their suggestions on slips of paper in a jar and they grab one a day.

My DS hated spellingcity.com He usually likes online games so I thought it would be fun...HATED it!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts