Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
Everyone is against me...selfish build me up post...
November 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM

This is my first year homeschooling and my DS is in grade 3...EVERYONE seems to be against me using the same BS(IMHO) excuse "Kids need to be with other kids" or "You need the break" But I am loving the homeschooling, Okay since I had a VERY bad reaction to a new med the doctor put me on we are a bit behind where we should be, but we are going to catch up...

I have him in a PE class with other HS kids, I am a youth leader in my church so he hangs around those teens for a couple hours on wednesday, have friends in the neighbourhood so he isnt lacking there.

My mom is being crazy and decided to cancel Christmas unless I put him back in "normal, proper school" in January. 

I just feel beat down...and now my son is saying he wants back just because everyone is always asking him 'dont you miss your friends, wow you arent going to get that many gifts at your birthday" and so on...

So this is my shamless or is it shamefull??? ((anyways)) Post for some encouragment...

Yes there might be spelling and grammar issues I am exhusted and feeling so discouraged right now to proofread.

Replies

• Dorra
    by Dorra
    November 12, 2013 at 1:37 AM
    I told everyone, family included that if they couldn't support our decision to please stay out of our lives. It took almost 2 years for them to get over themselves and accept us homeschooling.

I'm sorry that your family cannot see the benefits of this. It takes time for others to come around.

Does he still play with his friends from public school?
  • Connorsmommy13
    November 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Quoting Dorra:

I told everyone, family included that if they couldn't support our decision to please stay out of our lives. It took almost 2 years for them to get over themselves and accept us homeschooling.

I'm sorry that your family cannot see the benefits of this. It takes time for others to come around.

Yes I we still keep in contact with them too...

• Dorra
    by Dorra
    November 12, 2013 at 1:49 AM
    So pretty much grandma has an invalid point about less bday gifts. It's not like he'd invite the entire class anyways.

Just keep your head up and don't let anyone else get to you.

I explained to my dds the advantages and disadvantages of public and home school. I let them decide and they still picked homeschool.
    Public= more friends but you have to sit all day long. Lol
    Homeschool= field trips whenever we want. Not as many friends but closer friends.
    Just different stuff.

It WILL get better.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting Dorra:

Yes I we still keep in contact with them too...

• Connorsmommy13
    November 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Quoting Dorra:

So pretty much grandma has an invalid point about less bday gifts. It's not like he'd invite the entire class anyways.

Just keep your head up and don't let anyone else get to you.

I explained to my dds the advantages and disadvantages of public and home school. I let them decide and they still picked homeschool.
    Public= more friends but you have to sit all day long. Lol
    Homeschool= field trips whenever we want. Not as many friends but closer friends.
    Just different stuff.

It WILL get better.

Thank you for that...Just frustrated but also alone...we are going to start even more field trips and such Thanks again just glad that I am not alone, even if its just on the world wide web..

• Bleacher-mom
    November 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    Wow. I am sorry you are going thru this. When we first told people we were going to HS, nobody (with the exception of a couple of people) supported our decision. It was the same stuff, kids need to be with other kids, bla bla bla. It was so bad one day that I was told I was going to ruin my kids. I was about to just put them in school, but it was my insurance agent who told me how great it was with his kids being HS that was the boost that I needed. Just know that what your doing isn't wrong, and that they are just ignorant to what is outside of the norm. Move on and limit the time you see those who are against your decision. After a while, they'll get used to it. Or they won't. Either way, you do what's best for your family.
  • Bluecalm
    November 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    I know for myself when I'm not 100% sure myself of a choice I made other people can tell I'm wavering when they try to convince me to change my mind and redouble their efforts. I've never doubted my decision to hs my 6 year old and it's easier for me to shut down the negative comments. I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing with my 3 year old so negative comments get to me more. Your mom is being very manipulative and playing on your emotions and making you doubt yourself. She knows that and is going to keep at it until you either give in and put him in ps or shut her down.
  • TJandKarasMom
    November 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    That is such a crappy feeling. Try not to let others get to you. I became friends with a homeschool mom down the street, her DD is a bit older than my kids and her DSs are on the younger side, but we go over and spend time with them and she has been so so encouraging for me when I've had a hard time with other people not approving.

The worst for me is my MIL...and we LIVE WITH HER! Lol. That has had it's awkward moments. But she bites her tongue most of the time. I have this urge to teach my kids random information so they sound super smart when people ask them stuff.

I would talk to your DS and explain the benefits of it and don't let him see you feeling down about others opinions or he will be down about it too. Try to let it roll off your back, know you are making the best decision for yourself and your DS...if this is what feels right to you you should keep doing it! People will come around, but until then, it's none of their business how you choose to educate your child.

Oh, another thing to keep in mind...a lot of people that use PS think when you choose to HS you are judging them. I wish I could just come out and tell my MIL that we are not judging her choice to send her kids to PS, I think she finally got it when DH pointed out that she had the opportunity to go to private school-she understood that that is not an option for us, and we feel hsing is what is best for our kids at this point. But lots of people take it as a personal attack on them, even though it really has nothing to so with them.
  • Bluecalm
    November 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    Yes, I've noticed that it makes people feel guilty too. My son has some SNs and my good friend was very supportive and gave me lots of materials she had used with her SNs dd when she was young. Her dd died when she was 20 and now my friend is feeling guilty she didn't hs her too. :(

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

That is such a crappy feeling. Try not to let others get to you. I became friends with a homeschool mom down the street, her DD is a bit older than my kids and her DSs are on the younger side, but we go over and spend time with them and she has been so so encouraging for me when I've had a hard time with other people not approving.

The worst for me is my MIL...and we LIVE WITH HER! Lol. That has had it's awkward moments. But she bites her tongue most of the time. I have this urge to teach my kids random information so they sound super smart when people ask them stuff.

I would talk to your DS and explain the benefits of it and don't let him see you feeling down about others opinions or he will be down about it too. Try to let it roll off your back, know you are making the best decision for yourself and your DS...if this is what feels right to you you should keep doing it! People will come around, but until then, it's none of their business how you choose to educate your child.

Oh, another thing to keep in mind...a lot of people that use PS think when you choose to HS you are judging them. I wish I could just come out and tell my MIL that we are not judging her choice to send her kids to PS, I think she finally got it when DH pointed out that she had the opportunity to go to private school-she understood that that is not an option for us, and we feel hsing is what is best for our kids at this point. But lots of people take it as a personal attack on them, even though it really has nothing to so with them.

• AutymsMommy
    November 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Bake them some brownies (and put ex-lax in them).

Sorry.

• TidewaterClan
    November 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM

The guilt over having children in ps is a reality.  I would definitely let your family and friends know you won't be discussing it further with them, then change the subject when they do.  Life is too short, and these years will pass to quickly, for anyone to give you a hard time.  It's your business (not theirs), and you're the one providing the education and effort for it.  

We started taking field trips once a week.  We've gone to museums, the zoo, playgrounds, hiking, the library, etc.  I'm AMAZED at how many homeschoolers are out there!  I'll bet if you take your son out and about he'll have a marvelous time and realize what fun hs is.  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN