Homeschooling Moms

mem82
My son makes me feel stupid.
by mem82
November 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM

So I give up teaching Cole Science. He makes me feel stupid and I don't think my pride can take this beating.
We are talking about how light affects color. How paint reflects the light colors that it doesn't absorb and that is the color that we see.
What does Cole take from this?
Cole:"So what color is my shirt in a room that's pitch black?"
Me: "Well, its gray, we just can't see it."
Cole: "Can you prove that my shirt is gray if you can't see it?"
Yeah, basically the light wave equivalent to, "If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound if no one can hear it?"
:facedesk

Replies

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    November 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    LOL. You should challenge him to figure out a way to prove it for next science class. I am usually the one asking questions like your son.
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    November 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Wow, that's painful.  That's my oldest.  I tell him a lot that his skill set and mine aren't the same.  And that's good.  Who would cook for him if I had his skill set and not mine?  :)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

That is good that he questions like that! It is critical thinking at its finest & most people do not know how to think that way!

• debramommyof4
    November 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I love it.  Your son is so awesome.

• suziejax
    November 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

big smile mini

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Hubby told me later I should have said, "Let me tell you about this guy, Schrodinger and his cat." LOL

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I like to think so.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I love it.  Your son is so awesome.

• TidewaterClan
    November 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM

You've helped him to think beyond the text Mem.  :)  Congratulations on a job well done!

• PurpleCupcake
    November 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I like how he is following the scientific method!

• megbugsmom
    November 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    My 8yr old daughter is the same way. I have to chuckle to myself because I love it, but it is frustrating. She is also a know it all! Lol oh my! The dr. (Whom is a friend) mentioned putting my daughter on a debate team when older.
    Children like that need that mental stimulation, and love a challenge. :)

Homeschooling Moms