Homeschooling Moms

Precious333
social time
November 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Ok, so i have learned that we need to do our school time in tge morning, or its so hars to get done becauae the kids are absorbed in their toys or play, and baby gets fussier later in the day, so ideally we start at 9:30-12. Well mondays we alreasy have our sxhool group we meet with. Tuesdays i am exhuasted from being out ALL mondays. Wednesdays i have bible study in tge morning (thats my ONLY me time), and thursdays we go to the park with friends in the morning. Well, my neighbor has two boys, 4 and 2, and she was apart if LLL and a park dayvwith me, we have known eachother for about a year. She wants to homeschool her chuldren and ants to encourage a relationship with my kids since she likes how they play together. Mornings work best because of naps, but its harder for me, plus i honestly would also like older kids to participate. My kids also have additional classes, and several friends are asking for piano lessons from me that i am hoping to start in January, so i fear our schedule getting too full. I said maybe everyother friday, but deep down i am feeling kind od anxious about adding one more thing. I guess we will see how it all falls into place.

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    November 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Honestly..that schedule would drive me bonkers!

• Precious333
    November 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    Lol, i know! No wonder I'm tired and cant get anything done, huh? Lol

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• PurpleCupcake
    November 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Girl you gotta say NO more often! 

Maybe instead of going out to play, have them come to your house more? Rent some movies?

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• Precious333
    November 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    Maybe we can switch houses each time we meet. I think the point was to give them playtime, .but honestly it would be nice for my older two to have kids their age as well. Hmmmmmm

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Girl you gotta say NO more often! 

Maybe instead of going out to play, have them come to your house more? Rent some movies?

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• bluerooffarm
    November 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I think reading the Boundaries books (by Townsend and Cloud) could help you.  The first one is how to say no and when to say yes.  It may be helpful in choosing exactly what you want to say yes to and how to say no with conviction.  It was helpful to me anyway, although I am really still working on it!  LOL

• Precious333
    November 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    I have no problem.saying no to my kids lol. Yeah, i figured i would try and see how it goes, hmmmmm

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I think reading the Boundaries books (by Townsend and Cloud) could help you.  The first one is how to say no and when to say yes.  It may be helpful in choosing exactly what you want to say yes to and how to say no with conviction.  It was helpful to me anyway, although I am really still working on it!  LOL

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    November 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM

It's funny how so many people tell moms they need to learn to say no, but when we say no, people get hurt/offended/put off!!  I told a Girl Scout lady that I had too much on my plate right now to volunteer on a council level, and she had that whole, "Well, I sure hope things work out for you," kind of response that tells me that was an unacceptable response.  Oh well.....  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• Precious333
    November 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    Yeah thats true. I tend to get a lot of "how do you do it?" And then ask me for things too, so far the people that have asked ne also say "no rush"

Quoting hwblyf:

It's funny how so many people tell moms they need to learn to say no, but when we say no, people get hurt/offended/put off!!  I told a Girl Scout lady that I had too much on my plate right now to volunteer on a council level, and she had that whole, "Well, I sure hope things work out for you," kind of response that tells me that was an unacceptable response.  Oh well.....  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• KrissyKC
    November 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, that's busier than we are.

This is what we have settled into...

Tuesdays at 2:45, one child has choir practice.

Wednesdays at 2:45, another child has choir practice and then they have church clubs at night.

Thursdays: This is our event day.   We get up, do math and a little grammar.   Then we head over to the following activities:    PE, drama, Art, and kinder class for the kinder.   Then we come home, have dinner, and the girls head to sewing class with me and my DH enjoys some "man" time with the boys.   (Usually the baby runs around the living room while he and my 9 yr old play WII bowling)

Fridays:   there's an optional science seminar right now at noon, but we only do this if we've done our other stuff and are up to it.

However, we belong to a field trip group, too, so there are some random events.    My son also plays baseball in the spring with the local athletic group, so "after school hours and saturdays"...

• Pukalani79
    November 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

My kids are very active as well. I'm one who has always bent over backwards to accomodate everyone else.  This year we started a homeschoolers' choir and some of my good friends weren't able to make it because of schedule conflicts.  My immediate first reaction was "Oh, then I'd better see about changing the time."  But then I took a breath and realized that the time I choose was the time best suited for our schedule, and doing it at a different time/day would make things more difficult.  So I finally had to say "Sorry, maybe next time." And it was okay.  It is okay to say "This doesn't work for me."  You have to do what's best for you and your kids. 

Homeschooling Moms