Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ktidwell
New-- need advice/tips
November 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM
im a sahm of 4 kids (ds 7, ds 5, dd 16months, and 4months) i have really been thinking about doing Homeschool im so tired of the school system and people here, i mean just a couple days ago sadly a 16year old girl was being bullied, she told about and nothing was done so she killed herself, i worry about my DS that is 7 because he weighs 150lbs and 5ft (im 5'6 and hes just about as tall as me) weve had him tested and everything but i worry about him and his size.. but back to the main question i plan to work with my 7-5-and 16month old and do ALOT of research but i was wondering what tips you could gie me, any good websites to check out ANYTHING HELPFUL... im wanting to find out as much as possible and maybe even some good sites for practice work or something

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    November 8, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Sure you can homeschool! It's great to start so young! And your reasons for wanting to homeschool are the sane reasons I homeschool.

But, you need to get a little more specific with your questions.

First things first, what state do you live in? The laws in your state will govern your choices. 

• paganbaby
    November 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I agree with PurpleCupcake, your reasons are sound but your choice of ciriculum really depends on your state.

• ktidwell
    November 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    i live in Alabama

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Sure you can homeschool! It's great to start so young! And your reasons for wanting to homeschool are the sane reasons I homeschool.

But, you need to get a little more specific with your questions.

First things first, what state do you live in? The laws in your state will govern your choices. 

• debramommyof4
    November 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    I will come back and help when on my computer. For now look at lessonpathways.com it is free curriculum.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    November 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM

As a home school workshop leader, I recommend the following

1.  First check out your state laws concerning home education at the following link  How To Find Your State Laws

2.  When you home school, the whole world becomes your classroom.  For example cooking with your 7 and 5 year old can become a lesson in math, reading, measuring, ext.  The main thing is to set objectives for each child so that you are covering the right material for each of them. Grade level is not as important as what they are ready to learn.  You can easily teach your children together, and then possibly individual work where needed.  Ring Around The Phonics is on sale  right now. You can use it to teach language arts from K through 6th grade, and you can teach both of your children at the same time even if they are on different subjects or levels.

3.  Each child has their own learning style (there are 4 basic learning styles).  However if you use whole brain teaching (physically involving the child in the learning process---using as many of the senses as possible---exp games like Monopoly or Ring Around The Phonics, and life experiences), you are reaching all the learning styles. With whole brain teaching children learn faster, retain more, stress is reduced, children retain their natural desire to learn, and it improves the health of the brain.  With this method, children are eager to learn.

4.  Computer games can be excellent teaching tools, but not for teaching phonics, because they teach some of the phonic sounds incorrectly . It does not effect all children, but it is the number one cause for reading problems.   The following video explains. 

Hear the phonic sounds free (for adults who want to teach phonics)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN