Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
Is this too Creepy?
November 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

8 yo ds has been struggling with subtraction. He knows how to do it, he just doesn't want to. So here I am racking my brains trying to figure out a fun way for him to do math. Then last week as I was passing the cemetery, it hit me!

Out of habit, I mentally subtract the birthday from the death day to figure out how old the person was. *Light bulb* I peddled home and asked ds how would he like to go to the graveyard and do some math? He was all for it. So yesterday we spent the day roaming around the graveyard, figuring out how old everyone was. The oldest grave we found dated March 18th 1860 to December 22 1860.

My Mil of course got wind of it (Facebook) and told me how disrespectful it was for us to to go traipsing over people's graves. She said it was a place for mourning and remembering, not a fun house. *Wet blanket*

Would you ever take your kids to a graveyard for school?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 80% - I would. It sounds like fun.
  2. 8% - I wouldn't. I find it to be disrespectful.
  3. 12% - I don't think it's disrespectful but I wouldn't go.

Replies

• crystalplus1
    November 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

No, lol, math sucks so if you can find a way to make it work for him good job! 

As long as your not like, stepping on the dead people anyway.

• bluerooffarm
    November 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I think that is an awesome lesson.  Were you rolling around giggling on the graves?  My parents used to stop the car any time we saw an old graveyard.  We loved looking at the different styles of tombstones and see how they changed throughout history.  (They have some really awesome skulls with wings up in New England!!) So no I do not think it is disrespectful.  I actually think her mentality makes graveyards very lonely and mysterious and perpetuating the spookiness of a graveyard.  We have a local cemetary that holds weddings, LOL, so we definately have a very different view of death!

• paganbaby
    November 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Doesn't it? Ugh, math was never my favorite.

And no...that would seriously creepy if there were dead bodies to step on,lol. Ds was very careful not to step on the headstones though.

Quoting crystalplus1:

No, lol, math sucks so if you can find a way to make it work for him good job! 

As long as your not like, stepping on the dead people anyway.

• paganbaby
    November 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I just had a visual of us doing that,lol. Maybe that's what Mil was envisioning *Eye roll*

Oh the older section is my favorite!. The newer ones all look the same but older ones are awesome. Some of them even list cause of death.

You know, I grew up going to this very cemetery myself when I was his age and my mom used to visit them with her family also on vacations. Mil is just stodgy.

And weddings? That's so cool! Where do you live?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I think that is an awesome lesson.  Were you rolling around giggling on the graves?  My parents used to stop the car any time we saw an old graveyard.  We loved looking at the different styles of tombstones and see how they changed throughout history.  (They have some really awesome skulls with wings up in New England!!) So no I do not think it is disrespectful.  I actually think her mentality makes graveyards very lonely and mysterious and perpetuating the spookiness of a graveyard.  We have a local cemetary that holds weddings, LOL, so we definately have a very different view of death!

• tonyanamelia
    November 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I used to do this as a kid when we went to a church that had a grave yard. I used to love going to my cousin's church and looking at their graveyard. From what I remember, it was so old and the people had been burried so long ago there, the church congregation didn't even know the people personally that were burried there. We were never disrespectful (running, laughing, playing etc). We just liked to walk around and read how long they lived and how long ago they lived. I mean, the grave stones are suppose to be a small record of their life, why shouldn't we be able to view these records?  

• PurpleCupcake
    November 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I like the old grave yards. They give a lot of information on the culture and past times. 

Lots of deaths in the same year- disease or epidemic

Lots of children-high mortality rate/poor healthcare/poverty

Comparing causes of death between then and now

Endless info...I'm a bit weird!

• Precious333
    November 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    As long as you are respectful to the mourners, i would go.
  • bluerooffarm
    November 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I live in southwestern Pennsylvania.  And the cemetary has this adorable little chapel full of stained glass windows.  It has a Koi pond with a curved, wooden bridge.  It has these 2 stone "thrones" that supposedly if you sit on them and kiss on your wedding day, you will have a long happy marriage.  Seriously the cemetary is awesome! 

Quoting paganbaby:

I just had a visual of us doing that,lol. Maybe that's what Mil was envisioning *Eye roll*

Oh the older section is my favorite!. The newer ones all look the same but older ones are awesome. Some of them even list cause of death.

You know, I grew up going to this very cemetery myself when I was his age and my mom used to visit them with her family also on vacations. Mil is just stodgy.

And weddings? That's so cool! Where do you live?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• Bleacheddecay
    November 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Another good lesson at the graveyard when they are old enough is driving. On weekdays when there is little activity it's a perfect starter place for learning drivers.

• AnnieGoolaheey
    November 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Sure.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN