Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Multiple choice....
November 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

We are prepping for the Terra Novas coming up next week.  So I've had my oldest (chronologically a 3rd grader) doing some reading comprehension work.  But when we do reading comprehension at home they are open-ended, answer in full sentence type questions.  So today I gave him one with multiple choice questions.  His response when he got to the questions.....

X: "Mom, what is this?"
Me: "Your reading comp test prep."
X: "But the answers are right there."
Me: "Yep"
X: "Seriously.  This is what the school had me all nervous about?"
Me: "Yep"
X: "What are the consequences if I don't do well?"
Me: "You'll let me worry about that."
X:  "Will I have to go back to PS?"
Me: No, I won't allow that."
X: "Okay, cool."

Makes me wonder what the schools hope to accomplish when they scare the kids with all the horrible consequences from those tests.

Replies

• TidewaterClan
    November 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Yes!  My youngest (3rd grade) had teachers in 1st and 2nd who scared her to pieces over those tests (she took the Iowa here).  Instead of using them as a tool - "Oh, I see you need some extra practice in . . . " they pressure them until they're almost scared to take the darned things in the first place.

• bluerooffarm
    November 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yes!  My youngest (3rd grade) had teachers in 1st and 2nd who scared her to pieces over those tests (she took the Iowa here).  Instead of using them as a tool - "Oh, I see you need some extra practice in . . . " they pressure them until they're almost scared to take the darned things in the first place.

Xavier's teachers were the same in kindergarten and 1st grade.  Thankfully we've had time to stop that nonsense over the past 2 years. 

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    November 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    And people wonder why some kids develop test anxiety.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I hate testing & believe that it is not an effective way to know what a child has truly learned! Just because a person is good at tests dose not mean they can use the information in real situations! 

• bluerooffarm
    November 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I hate testing & believe that it is not an effective way to know what a child has truly learned! Just because a person is good at tests dose not mean they can use the information in real situations! 

I completely agree!!  Unfortunately we have to take this test.  Fortunately, my boys have not been filled with dread for these tests by the very teachers that are supposed to be preparing them for the test.

I swear, no matter what happens in this test, I will make sure he can stay home.  Filling him with fear of testing will not fill him with the love of learning!

• romacox
    by romacox
    November 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I solike the way the moms here fight for their kids. 

• kirbymom
    November 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    Awesome.That is great. He is more confident in himself and his abilities. I am not one to side on the side of test taking but when a child has viewed themselves and their intelligence on a test, it is a definite booster to their confidence and they start to believe that other people are right that they Are intelligent when they can take a test without all the qualms attached. The test in itself is meaningless but the knowledge gained and the confidence gained is invaluable achievement.
  • bluerooffarm
    November 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Awesome.That is great. He is more confident in himself and his abilities. I am not one to side on the side of test taking but when a child has viewed themselves and their intelligence on a test, it is a definite booster to their confidence and they start to believe that other people are right that they Are intelligent when they can take a test without all the qualms attached. The test in itself is meaningless but the knowledge gained and the confidence gained is invaluable achievement.

I hope he does gain some confidence in this test.  I know he has gained confidence and perspective over the last 2 years of homeschooling.  When he came home, he was a t the point where he would vomit every Thursday morning from anxiety over his spelling tests.  I have watched him grow over these years and I am pretty confident he will do well on this test. 

I just know that my job is to make sure he knows that no matter what he will be loved, we will work with him and fight for him, and that he will succeed in his life (good score or not).

• kirbymom
    November 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    This is making me want to stand up and do a cheer. :)
    Way to go mama!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:Awesome.That is great. He is more confident in himself and his abilities. I am not one to side on the side of test taking but when a child has viewed themselves and their intelligence on a test, it is a definite booster to their confidence and they start to believe that other people are right that they Are intelligent when they can take a test without all the qualms attached. The test in itself is meaningless but the knowledge gained and the confidence gained is invaluable achievement.

I hope he does gain some confidence in this test.  I know he has gained confidence and perspective over the last 2 years of homeschooling.  When he came home, he was a t the point where he would vomit every Thursday morning from anxiety over his spelling tests.  I have watched him grow over these years and I am pretty confident he will do well on this test. 

I just know that my job is to make sure he knows that no matter what he will be loved, we will work with him and fight for him, and that he will succeed in his life (good score or not).

• Mandallyn
    November 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    My son, who is in 1st grade, brings home homework that is 9x out of 10 multiple choice, fill in the bubble type work. I was so disappointed when I saw those worksheets. They're already preparing him for test taking in grade 1. That seems extremely f-ed up to me.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts