Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TidewaterClan
Do you take your children to the polls as a Social Studies lesson?
November 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM
We're holding our own election later this week (they're running against our dogs for president & senator) and I thought seeing the real polls would be fun for them (it was).

I told my husband there would be an 8 mil hs levy on the ballot & he said he was voting NO, lol.

Do your children enjoy seeing democracy in action too?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    November 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Yes, we took the boys to the polls.  We vote a lot in our house and negotiate.  They are great debaters!  This year we had a nice long conversation about retaining judges.  One of our local judges has been doing a bit of legislating from the bench and the boys are looking up what exactly will happen if the vote comes back to not retain her.  And they are looking up why we are voting for retention instead of voting between 2 people who want to be judges.  Very cool discussions going on.

• Bleacheddecay
    November 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Totally took the kids with me to the polls. Now they are old enough to vote in them!

• celticdragon77
    November 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I do not vote, so no. 

My younger kids are doing ancient world history this year and we haven't gotten into much else beyond that yet. My oldest daughter and I have always had great conversations and enjoyed researching matters related to local current events / politics.

• TidewaterClan
    November 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    Those are super cool discussions! Do you have the results in yet about your judge?

Lessons like that are the ones they can definitely take with them into adulthood.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes, we took the boys to the polls.  We vote a lot in our house and negotiate.  They are great debaters!  This year we had a nice long conversation about retaining judges.  One of our local judges has been doing a bit of legislating from the bench and the boys are looking up what exactly will happen if the vote comes back to not retain her.  And they are looking up why we are voting for retention instead of voting between 2 people who want to be judges.  Very cool discussions going on.

• TidewaterClan
    November 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    Lol! That makes sense! My girls wanted to vote today too, which is another reason for our home election. :)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Totally took the kids with me to the polls. Now they are old enough to vote in them!

• TidewaterClan
    November 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    That's wonderful to research and discuss together. She's going to be so much wiser because of that.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I do not vote, so no. 

My younger kids are doing ancient world history this year and we haven't gotten into much else beyond that yet. My oldest daughter and I have always had great conversations and enjoyed researching matters related to local current events / politics.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    November 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I usually do. I didn't this time. Why? Because the only thing on our local ballot was School board stuff and honestlly...we aren't concerned about it. I didn't feel the need to do the research.

• TidewaterClan
    November 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    Yep - we didn't research much of that either. I did show them how to look up the folks running for city council. My 3rd grader has had a lot of local government info in her social studies so they had a great idea of what those positions were for.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I usually do. I didn't this time. Why? Because the only thing on our local ballot was School board stuff and honestlly...we aren't concerned about it. I didn't feel the need to do the research.

• bluerooffarm
    November 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM

The paper this morning was still saying it was too close to call, which started great conversations about deadlines and print times and newspaper delivery.  LOL  I would say that even if the judge is retained she will be a bit less conceited in the future.  How many judges have a too close to call vote?  She's gotta be sweating this morning!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those are super cool discussions! Do you have the results in yet about your judge?

Lessons like that are the ones they can definitely take with them into adulthood.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• bluerooffarm
    November 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I hate our local school, I disagree with their methods, and I dislike how all they want to talk about (the school board members) is how they reduced their deficit like that tells how the kids are learning or something.  So I go vote for anybody but the incumbent every time.  Very little research needed.  :-)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts