Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bleacher-mom
What do you use for you middle schoolers and high schoolers?
November 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I have a couple more years before my oldest will be middle school age and then I will have to look for some other curriculum. I'm curious as to what you use? Do you feel it needs to be accredited? What are you doing to keep up with work to help them get into college?

Replies

• Bleacher-mom
    November 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I ran across this. Has any one heard of it?

www.americanonlinehigh.com

• NYCitymomx3
    November 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM

My middle schooler (7th grade ds) doesn't like any online academics.  He prefers textbooks and workbooks.  We use Saxon Math, Lightning Literature, Holt Physical Science, K12 Human Odyssey (history), and Runkle's Geography.   

For high school, we plan on staying with what we like.  Our math, science, and literature all have high school programs, too.  I was thinking of Prentice Hall World History for 9th & 10th grades.  

• Bleacheddecay
    November 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I found that my students wasted time online doing things that were not school-ish when they were supposed to be doing school. That sort of thing just didn't work for us the few times we tried to do a subject that way.

Both of my teens took at least one college course before leaving high school. They also prepped and studied for using the CLEP test in a subject.

They both won good scholarships, one academic and one athletic. One has dropped out though. He is finding his own path.

Instead I used POC4U http://edudps.com/poc4u.html

to tell me what level they were at, what thier best learning styles were and then curriculum pieces that would work. This one thing helped our homeschooling so much.

Also, we loosened up a bit after reading the Teenage Liberation Handbook.http://www.amazon.com/The-Teenage-Liberation-Handbook-Education/dp/0962959170

I went to a local How to Highschool meeting, twice, as each of my kids hit highschool. I used the general state requirements to get high school done but we did each subject OUR way sometimes using curriculum pieces, sometimes unschool it.

This was how it was when we did high school.

High school requirements:

Academic Diploma

English 4 credits must include research paper, and a study of British poets

Math 3 or 4 credits (must include Algebra and Geometry)

Science 3 or 4 credits (2 must be lab sciences)

History 4 credits (State History/Geography, World, U.S. and American Gove/Econ)

Health   1 credit

P.E. 1

Computer 1

Foreign Language 1 or 2 or same language

Electives: 2 and enough to complete 24 credits depending on math, science and language choices

Total 24

Advanced Academic diploma

Four in all academics

Math to include pre-calculus

Science to include chemistry

2 years foreign language

Electives 4, to total 26 credits

Accreditation doesn't matter to most colleges. What does matter is how your kids did on college entrance exams such as ACT and SAT, in some cases, their essay and recommendation letters count in most colleges that doesn't matter. And you have to provide a transcript but that's easy to do, particularly if you are keeping records all along high school.

These are some of our resources though I may not be remembering them all.

Both Students: 

Literature: Movies As Literature, (I have ONE student who hates to read or write so, we used movies quite often for him.)  Wordsmith and Wordsmith Craftsman, Write With the Best volumes 1& 2, Various books to read, Let Authors Speak, Learning With the Movies, (both of which are also good for historical time period studies) Web sites and Writing projects. The Gold Book - British Literature we sometimes watched movies or just read some of the novels rather than the whole thing for my reluctant reader. I added in Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales.  

Each student must read two books on or above their level each year. Required titles were The Diary of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Highly recommended were, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, The Freedom Writers and The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. 

Other resources:

Language Expression / Language mechanics grammar

http://www.hsadvisor.com/bookstore/10th-grade/language-arts/grammar/

Senior research paper must be done by end of first semester of the senior year, below is a site I used to give my, "I need guidelines and rules" student some structure.

http://www.valleyviewhigh.org/students/senior_project.jsp

Science: Science complete CD, Alchemy Program, Schaum's Outline Series Theory and problems of Physical Science, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Science and Astronomy, various library books, web sites, projects and labs at local science museum.

Math: Math U See, web sites, and other resources. My students insisted on Math U See when we found it. I'm not completely happy with it though. I'd consider Singapore or maybe Teaching Textbooks.

Life skills these vary.  Generally my husband and I teach them things as we think of them. Sometimes we get someone else to do so as well.  We also have a book, Life Skills for Kids that we use.

Arts: It varies a lot from museum visits, to concerts, from painting to learning guitar and piano but we do this ourselves using library books, our own talent, web sites and local resources.

P.E. Gym, Walking and Biking, 1st student Jujitsu every other day, 2nd student tennis every other day, if not daily. (Not required by law but by parent.) Each student has competed in and won tournaments in their sports. Sports they choose and are very passionate about.

American History 1. Clep Prep Book:

Econ: The Great Economic Mysteries Book: A Guide to Teaching Economic Reasoning, Grades 4-8, Freakanomics book and web site, daily discussions about Economic issues in current events, as well as life long lessons from parents. Tried Penny Candy but the students hated it.

American Government Movies as found online in a syllabus for a college course.

The Weather Underground

Questions:  To what degree (if at all) did members of the weather underground resemble participants in the American Revolution?  What factors account for the revolutionary activity of the weather underground?  What factors explain the failure of the weather underground?

George Wallace and Malcolm X  Explain how the theme of redemption in both politics and one's personal life lies at the heart of either movie.  Do you find this theme a satisfactory one for capturing the significance of either Wallace or X to American political life?

All the President's Men
    According to the movie did the traditional checks and balances of the Constitution work during the Nixon Administration?  What alternative does the movie offer to these traditional checks and balances?  What are the problems with this alternative?

The War Room Compare the roles that Carville and Stephanopoulos played in the Clinton campaign.  What role is left for political parties in the face of such campaigns?

The Last Hurrah, All the King's Men What are the strengths and weaknesses of the two styles of campaigning depicted in the Last Hurrah?  Which is more democratic?    Which is more corrupt?
    According to All the King's Men, what are the dangers facing a democratic society in an age of mass politics?  Do you agree that this is a real danger that we may face?

Other political movies that we will discuss in class, but you are not required to view are

7 Days in May (1964) directed by John Frankenheimer

Dr. Strangelove (1963) directed by Stanley Kubrick

Citizen Kane (1941) directed by Orson Wells

JFK (1991) directed by Oliver Stone

Nixon (1995) directed by Oliver Stone

The Crossing (1999) directed by Robert Harmon

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) directed by Frank Capra

The Candidate  (1972)  directed by Michael Ritchie

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) directed by John Frankenheimer

Truman (1996) directed by Frank Pierson

The Complete Idiots Guide to American Government

Also used free online prep tests for citizenship at library web site.

Japanese English/ Japanese dictionary, two years of Rosetta Stone free at library web site (not impressed) My Japanese Tutor on Nintendo d/s $50.00, and http://www.livemocha.com/ free. These last two are highly recommended.

ACT prep book, course, and intensive prep course for perfectionist older student. LOL

Drivers Ed: Read in handbook each week; take at least one online prep test a week, drive, drive, drive, Safe Young Drivers a guide for parents and teens, Drivers Ed CD's, DVD's, Web sites and actual driving. Older girl also took an expensive and intensive driving course with a local driving instructor she hated that. Both took an expensive but good course with The Department of Hwy with the "skid monster" they both liked that.

World Religion and belief systems

http://www.religioustolerance.org/var_rel.htm

http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm

http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/OTHERREFERENCE/RELIGION/MajorReligion.html

http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/

State History: Used fact of the day type of book from the parent teacher store, online state web site and research plus library resources.

• celticdragon77
    November 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

My oldest daughter went to public school for most of high school, but prior to that, we found textbooks, biographys, and other materials on Amazon. 

• AutymsMommy
    November 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

When my daughter was home, we used an eclectic mix (middle school). She's finishing out her middle school years in a brick and mortar private school, but will be home again for high school.

I haven't decided yet if we're going accredited for high school. We might. If we do, we'll go through either Kolbe Academy or Seton. If we decide to do transcripts and such on our own, we will use a mix of materials from Seton, Catholic Textbook Project, IEW, and online classes from Homeschool Connections.

We are rigorous and college preperatory, so transcripts are important to us. If I don't feel like I can do it adequately, I'll enroll in an accredited program.

• heavensdaughter
    July 25 at 3:02 PM

Thank you for this.  It is so comprehensive.  I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste this info to refer back to?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I found that my students wasted time online doing things that were not school-ish when they were supposed to be doing school. That sort of thing just didn't work for us the few times we tried to do a subject that way.

Both of my teens took at least one college course before leaving high school. They also prepped and studied for using the CLEP test in a subject.

They both won good scholarships, one academic and one athletic. One has dropped out though. He is finding his own path.

to tell me what level they were at, what thier best learning styles were and then curriculum pieces that would work. This one thing helped our homeschooling so much.

Also, we loosened up a bit after reading the Teenage Liberation Handbook.http://www.amazon.com/The-Teenage-Liberation-Handbook-Education/dp/0962959170

I went to a local How to Highschool meeting, twice, as each of my kids hit highschool. I used the general state requirements to get high school done but we did each subject OUR way sometimes using curriculum pieces, sometimes unschool it.

Academic Diploma

Health   1 credit

P.E. 1

Computer 1

Electives: 2 and enough to complete 24 credits depending on math, science and language choices

Total 24

Four in all academics

2 years foreign language

Accreditation doesn't matter to most colleges. What does matter is how your kids did on college entrance exams such as ACT and SAT, in some cases, their essay and recommendation letters count in most colleges that doesn't matter. And you have to provide a transcript but that's easy to do, particularly if you are keeping records all along high school.

Both Students: 

Literature: Movies As Literature, (I have ONE student who hates to read or write so, we used movies quite often for him.)  Wordsmith and Wordsmith Craftsman, Write With the Best volumes 1& 2, Various books to read, Let Authors Speak, Learning With the Movies, (both of which are also good for historical time period studies) Web sites and Writing projects. The Gold Book - British Literature we sometimes watched movies or just read some of the novels rather than the whole thing for my reluctant reader. I added in Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales.  

Each student must read two books on or above their level each year. Required titles were The Diary of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Highly recommended were, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, The Freedom Writers and The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. 

Other resources:

Senior research paper must be done by end of first semester of the senior year, below is a site I used to give my, "I need guidelines and rules" student some structure.

Science: Science complete CD, Alchemy Program, Schaum's Outline Series Theory and problems of Physical Science, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Science and Astronomy, various library books, web sites, projects and labs at local science museum.

Math: Math U See, web sites, and other resources. My students insisted on Math U See when we found it. I'm not completely happy with it though. I'd consider Singapore or maybe Teaching Textbooks.

Life skills these vary.  Generally my husband and I teach them things as we think of them. Sometimes we get someone else to do so as well.  We also have a book, Life Skills for Kids that we use.

Arts: It varies a lot from museum visits, to concerts, from painting to learning guitar and piano but we do this ourselves using library books, our own talent, web sites and local resources.

P.E. Gym, Walking and Biking, 1st student Jujitsu every other day, 2nd student tennis every other day, if not daily. (Not required by law but by parent.) Each student has competed in and won tournaments in their sports. Sports they choose and are very passionate about.

Econ: The Great Economic Mysteries Book: A Guide to Teaching Economic Reasoning, Grades 4-8, Freakanomics book and web site, daily discussions about Economic issues in current events, as well as life long lessons from parents. Tried Penny Candy but the students hated it.

The Weather Underground

Questions:  To what degree (if at all) did members of the weather underground resemble participants in the American Revolution?  What factors account for the revolutionary activity of the weather underground?  What factors explain the failure of the weather underground?

George Wallace and Malcolm X  Explain how the theme of redemption in both politics and one's personal life lies at the heart of either movie.  Do you find this theme a satisfactory one for capturing the significance of either Wallace or X to American political life?

All the President's Men According to the movie did the traditional checks and balances of the Constitution work during the Nixon Administration?  What alternative does the movie offer to these traditional checks and balances?  What are the problems with this alternative?

The War Room Compare the roles that Carville and Stephanopoulos played in the Clinton campaign.  What role is left for political parties in the face of such campaigns?

The Last Hurrah, All the King's Men What are the strengths and weaknesses of the two styles of campaigning depicted in the Last Hurrah?  Which is more democratic?    Which is more corrupt? According to All the King's Men, what are the dangers facing a democratic society in an age of mass politics?  Do you agree that this is a real danger that we may face?

Other political movies that we will discuss in class, but you are not required to view are

Japanese English/ Japanese dictionary, two years of Rosetta Stone free at library web site (not impressed) My Japanese Tutor on Nintendo d/s $50.00, and http://www.livemocha.com/ free. These last two are highly recommended.

ACT prep book, course, and intensive prep course for perfectionist older student. LOL

Drivers Ed: Read in handbook each week; take at least one online prep test a week, drive, drive, drive, Safe Young Drivers a guide for parents and teens, Drivers Ed CD's, DVD's, Web sites and actual driving. Older girl also took an expensive and intensive driving course with a local driving instructor she hated that. Both took an expensive but good course with The Department of Hwy with the "skid monster" they both liked that.

State History: Used fact of the day type of book from the parent teacher store, online state web site and research plus library resources.

• AmyG1976
    July 25 at 3:33 PM

my just finished high-school dd (as well as my husband sister and brother law) used The American School Of corr for high school. For driver ed she used one of the local driving schools she could of used the public high-school though by law at least here any school that teaches dr ed has to take anyone just not during the public school hours if a public school. The dd was in public school for Jr high my next child will be an 8th grader he is using Oak Meadow for middle school with a spanish ASL  and health class added in with whatever the co-op offers for his age. HE may stick with Oakmeadow for high-school too idk yet.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    July 25 at 3:51 PM
    We use Life of Fred, math u see, total language plus, write shop, our own history and science, apologia, and bob Jones life science. My son is going into 7th grade. I probably won't mess with accreditation. I like doing my own thing and I am not convinced accreditation is all that great anyways.
  • Bleacheddecay
    July 25 at 6:41 PM

I don't mind at all but what worked for us (mostly) might not work for everyone.

Quoting heavensdaughter:

Thank you for this.  It is so comprehensive.  I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste this info to refer back to?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Academic Diploma

Health   1 credit

P.E. 1

Computer 1

Total 24

Four in all academics

2 years foreign language

Both Students: 

Other resources:

The Weather Underground

All the President's Men According to the movie did the traditional checks and balances of the Constitution work during the Nixon Administration?  What alternative does the movie offer to these traditional checks and balances?  What are the problems with this alternative?

The Last Hurrah, All the King's Men What are the strengths and weaknesses of the two styles of campaigning depicted in the Last Hurrah?  Which is more democratic?    Which is more corrupt? According to All the King's Men, what are the dangers facing a democratic society in an age of mass politics?  Do you agree that this is a real danger that we may face?

• hipmomto3
    July 25 at 9:54 PM

My oldest is just starting 6th grade. We use Sonlight for history, geography, science, and language arts; Handwriting Without Tears (last year for this) ; Teaching Textbooks for math.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts