Homeschooling Moms

angelamiles05
Christmas time is coming
November 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

What are you planing to get the LO's? Do you get what they want or what they need? Or a little bit of both? Does anyone else get out there and hit up black Friday? I for one LOVE the sales but I ALWAYS go over board. I need to scale back this year. Any tips? Okay sorry this post is so off topic and a little random, lol. gift christmas tree

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

We try to get them both! I hate black Friday & so avoid stores that 3 day weekend. I do however love Cyber Monday & do a lot of my shopping on line! We are scaling back this year too because there are things that need repairs around the house that we did not know about until recently & so have to delegate some of the Christmas money to fixing them!

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    November 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

The side of our house blew off, so I'm feelin' ya.  We're taking money out of the adults' spending, but trying to keep the kids the same.  BUT, I'm doing things a little different this year and am trying a "book fair" before Christmas where I'll put out the new books that they would die without, but don't appreciate as presents.  Then Christmas under the tree will be smaller, but it won't be stuff that they don't consider presents.  Wow, they sound like ungrateful little kids.  But I remember that feeling of getting soap for Christmas.  :(

Quoting usmom3:

We try to get them both! I hate black Friday & so avoid stores that 3 day weekend. I do however love Cyber Monday & do a lot of my shopping on line! We are scaling back this year too because there are things that need repairs around the house that we did not know about until recently & so have to delegate some of the Christmas money to fixing them!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Yeah we try to get things that they will like & enjoy but that dose not mean just toys!

Quoting hwblyf:

The side of our house blew off, so I'm feelin' ya.  We're taking money out of the adults' spending, but trying to keep the kids the same.  BUT, I'm doing things a little different this year and am trying a "book fair" before Christmas where I'll put out the new books that they would die without, but don't appreciate as presents.  Then Christmas under the tree will be smaller, but it won't be stuff that they don't consider presents.  Wow, they sound like ungrateful little kids.  But I remember that feeling of getting soap for Christmas.  :(

Quoting usmom3:

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    November 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

No, it doesn't mean just toys.  But I think books are like underwear is for me....something you have to have, can't live without it, and it should just always be there.  :)

Quoting usmom3:

Yeah we try to get things that they will like & enjoy but that dose not mean just toys!

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting usmom3:

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    My older three are getting tablets. Everyone will get books, art supplies, toys, clothes, etc. We maybe go a bit overboard but the only time my kids get new toys is on Christmas and their birthdays.
  • TatyBear
    November 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Too much to list now. Lol

But tonight I'm going again to pick up.some stuff. I.already sank in a lot of money since January.

Big hugs Elmo for my 21 month old
    mini kobo reader for my 5 yr old
    Karaoke machine for my 11 yr old

That's what I'm picking up tonight.

I buy them what they need. What they want and what they don't need but I get just because I want to get them it. Lol
  • debramommyof4
    November 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    We were going to buy them each one large present then my husband was in a motorcycle accident. So unless the insurance pays up we may have a late Christmas. It socks but they will get something it just may be late. Now how to explain to kids that still believe Santa brings the presents? And 2 can read a calendar.
  • lovepotato
    November 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

We're scaling back a lot this year too. We have a 6 year old who only wants a DS, so I found him one for $50. I'll get him a couple other things too, and some of it will be necessities. I'll get my 3 year old some dolls, but I have this kitchen set from when I was little in my basement. Its not being used so I want to fix it up for her. For our 16 month old, I'm going to go through our old toys and have the big kids help me wrap them for her.

Everyone else I'm making them something or giving them stuff from my coupon stash. I am going to go Balck Friday shopping, but also for household things we need. I just feel like I'm missing what Christmas is really about. We'll make a bigger deal over their birthdays.

• TatyBear
    November 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    That's sucks :(

One reason why I'm glad my young kids no Santa is not real.

I.hope the insurance comes in on time.

Quoting debramommyof4:

We were going to buy them each one large present then my husband was in a motorcycle accident. So unless the insurance pays up we may have a late Christmas. It socks but they will get something it just may be late. Now how to explain to kids that still believe Santa brings the presents? And 2 can read a calendar.

• Molimomma
    November 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I never go overboard. My SIL has 3 and she goes bananas. Frankly, I only have 1 and he doesn't really want for anything because he has a well stocked toy/play area. He plays with the toys he has daily but I just don't see him needing more. I know my mom has already gotten him some and I told his other grandma the 1 thing he could really use more of(duplos). I think we might get him a bike since he has outgrown the tricycle. His birthday is right after Christmas too(January 13th) so that makes it harder.

Homeschooling Moms