Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Chasing3
had my first conversation with someone who "doesn't believe in homeschooling"
November 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I was at an evening activity for ds - fencing classes. Another dad started talking to me. Of course I can't keep my mouth shut or just lie when he asks which school my ds goes to. So, had to explain homeschooling. He was polite, but kept dropping how he didn't believe in homeschooling and he'd be so worried about the socialization piece. Of course, once I mention that I have a MEd and taught in public, it's as if all was right with the world again in his little mind and clearly I'm the only competent exception to the crazy homeschooler rule. LOL!

Replies

• TJandKarasMom
    November 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    I tend to include that I was working on my MEd and worked in ps when I mention we are hsing. I think it's because I am still not confident when telling strangers, lol, like their opinion really matters.

I don't see how someone can't believe in hsing, it's not Santa, lol. It's there, we do it, doesn't mean everyone has to. And shut up about socialization already, how many times in ps were we told to stop socializing and start working?! I didn't send my kids to ps to socialize, I was hoping they would learn something. I thought that's what school was for. And with today's ps youth, I don't want my kids socialized anyway, lol.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Unfortunately there are lots of people like that!

• JKronrod
    November 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I tend to include that I was working on my MEd and worked in ps when I mention we are hsing. I think it's because I am still not confident when telling strangers, lol, like their opinion really matters.

I don't see how someone can't believe in hsing, it's not Santa, lol. It's there, we do it, doesn't mean everyone has to. And shut up about socialization already, how many times in ps were we told to stop socializing and start working?! I didn't send my kids to ps to socialize, I was hoping they would learn something. I thought that's what school was for. And with today's ps youth, I don't want my kids socialized anyway, lol.

Yes, that "not believing in hsing" thing reminded me of that quote (and I'm paraphrasing) from C.S. Lewis, who when asked if he believed in prayer said something to the effect of "Yes, I've actually seen it done."  LOL. 

• Bleacher-mom
    November 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM

AHHH, yes, the big "S" word. I hate that word. I usually tell people that between football, cheerleading, co-op classes, scouts, spending the night at friends houses, church, homeschool day at the library and playing out side with the kids in the neighborhood, they are well socialized.

• bluerooffarm
    November 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

HaHa!  He doesn't believe in it?  Too funny.

• all2gethernow
    November 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    Generally, when the "S" word comes up, I realize they have no idea what we really do and end the conversation. Right before I load 6 friends in my car and head home for a sleepover;)
  • all2gethernow
    November 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Added-I LOVE when my children's friends ask "how do you make friends?" Ummmm?
  • AllThatBabyJazz
    November 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I've seen what goes on in public school and I am QUITE alright with my kids missing out on that socialization :) 

Not to mention... with church and other activities, my kids are around people all the time. My kids will talk to just about anyone... postman, bagger at the grocery store.... ha... my kids love to talk.

• ablackdolphin
    November 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM

DH is pretty funny he'll start asking questions back...like what is socilization?  I tend to be a bit more nasty like asking them if they know how to use an abacus like my 4 yr old or if they were reading at 2.5 yrs old? Or if they can speak French.  I'm not that nice lol

• paknari
    by paknari
    November 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    I think it's funny how you are the first one to ridicule another's opinion when you are offended because they don't like your opinion. Lol guess you are just as bad.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN