Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
army_5_wife
Need Advice...Dyslexia....
November 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I think my oldest may be dyslexic does anyone in here have experience with this? I could really use the help and advice. I plan on talking to her dr about it on tuesday, I homeschool her and things are becoming very frustrating, I have been doing my own research and so many things she has done over her lifetime, she is only 5, now makes so much since.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I'm sorry. I don't have a lot of help for that but let me give you a bump.

• PurpleCupcake
    November 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Glad you made it! Sorry I don't have much advice with dyslexia, but I know a few of the regulars here do. 

• army_5_wife
    November 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Thank you ladies I appreciate it. We had a much better day today with school but about 5 minutes after we were done, (she was trying to write on her own) she went right back to writing everything backwards. : /

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I know you already know this, but writing backwards isn't all that unusual. My own kids did it. I'm not sure if that gives any comfort or not. 8)

How does she do with numbers?

Quoting army_5_wife:

Thank you ladies I appreciate it. We had a much better day today with school but about 5 minutes after we were done, (she was trying to write on her own) she went right back to writing everything backwards. : /

• Bleacheddecay
    November 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Get her tested and then find out what local resources there are for her issues. I didn't find out about my son until he had won an athletic scholarship to college but I wish I'd known sooner. I'm sure there are ways to help and work around these issues.

• AutymsMommy
    November 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM

How old is she? Until about third grade, inverting, transposing, and writing letters backwards is all considered "normal" on some level.

You need to contact an educational psychologist for a full assessment. I'm not going to sugar coat this - it's pricey. Around here, you'll pay about $1500 for the assessment, and rarely does insurance cover it. It tells you more than just if your child is dyslexic - it will pinpoint strengths, weaknesses, and screen for other issues that may LOOK like dyslexia.

If you have any specific questions about curricula or experience homeschooling a dyslexic child, feel free to ask me. My eldest (age 12) is dyslexic. Until this year she was homeschooled for several years (she is now at a private school for bright/gifted dyslexic children).

• army_5_wife
    November 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

yes, i have read that and heard that a lot but its not just the writing backwards there are more signs I have noticed. And unfortunately looking for rescoures around here wont do any good as we are leaving the country in just a couple of months. We have worked on numbers for awhile and she is just barely able to read them, of course she gets 9 and 6 mixed up but that does not bother me i know that is normal. um, when she talks she is more than not miss pronouncing words i.e. speghetti is pseghetti, there are other words that I can not remember right now. She also has a hard time getting her thoughts out and finishing sentences.

Quoting mem82:

I know you already know this, but writing backwards isn't all that unusual. My own kids did it. I'm not sure if that gives any comfort or not. 8)

How does she do with numbers?

Quoting army_5_wife:

• army_5_wife
    November 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I will be speaking with her dr tuesday to see what our first step is, we are military so everything has to go through her pcm first and will most likely get a refferal. but thank you. She is 5 and i junderstand it is normal to an extent but this is something that seems to be getting worst and she seems to not understand she is doing it backwards when i talk to her about it. she normally does not see the difference.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

How old is she? Until about third grade, inverting, transposing, and writing letters backwards is all considered "normal" on some level.

You need to contact an educational psychologist for a full assessment. I'm not going to sugar coat this - it's pricey. Around here, you'll pay about $1500 for the assessment, and rarely does insurance cover it. It tells you more than just if your child is dyslexic - it will pinpoint strengths, weaknesses, and screen for other issues that may LOOK like dyslexia.

If you have any specific questions about curricula or experience homeschooling a dyslexic child, feel free to ask me. My eldest (age 12) is dyslexic. Until this year she was homeschooled for several years (she is now at a private school for bright/gifted dyslexic children).

• army_5_wife
    November 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM

will be talking to her pcm on tuesday to see what our first step needs to be, we are military and everything goes through the pcm first. unfortunately looking for rescoures around here wont do any good as we are leaving the country in just a couple of months.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Get her tested and then find out what local resources there are for her issues. I didn't find out about my son until he had won an athletic scholarship to college but I wish I'd known sooner. I'm sure there are ways to help and work around these issues.

• AutymsMommy
    November 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM

At 5 this is very normal. Most professionals won't test for it before grade 2. At age 5 they are only JUST learning how to read and write.

Quoting army_5_wife:

I will be speaking with her dr tuesday to see what our first step is, we are military so everything has to go through her pcm first and will most likely get a refferal. but thank you. She is 5 and i junderstand it is normal to an extent but this is something that seems to be getting worst and she seems to not understand she is doing it backwards when i talk to her about it. she normally does not see the difference.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN