Homeschooling Moms

paganbaby
I put more value on socializing than I do academics.
November 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM

As crazy as this sounds, for my son, socializing and life skills come well before academics. 

Just yesterday, we were sitting down getting ready to read a book when my youngest dd comes in saying the neighborhood kids are all outside. I immediately put down the book and we went outside to play. My son has a very hard time socially, so any chance I get for him to interact with kids in a comfortable environment, I'm going to take it,lol. The same goes for chores, shopping and meal preparation. Those come first before lessons. The way I look at it, all the reading and writing in the world isn't going to do him a fig of good if he can't strike up a conversation or cook himself a meal.

Replies

• TidewaterClan
    November 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    Yep, there's a super nice boy and his brother down the street. If they want to play I tell the girls to drop their lessons and get outside. We can always do their reading for our night time story.

We take breaks to do laundry, get dinner rolling, etc. nothing wrong with keeping it real! :)
  • paganbaby
    November 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Nice! Good to see I'm not the only one :-)

Also I'm thinking of switching his reading to bedtime to free up more time during the day.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yep, there's a super nice boy and his brother down the street. If they want to play I tell the girls to drop their lessons and get outside. We can always do their reading for our night time story.

We take breaks to do laundry, get dinner rolling, etc. nothing wrong with keeping it real! :)

• TidewaterClan
    November 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Definitely not alone! I figure you only get so many opportunities for unscheduled fun, so grab each one if you can.

I'm thinking if the same thing for reading. We've done it several times before when we had appointments during the day. The girls don't mind at all, and it would let them have spare time or actually do some art or music.

Quoting paganbaby:

Also I'm thinking of switching his reading to bedtime to free up more time during the day.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

• catrig
    by catrig
    November 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    As long as he is still getting his lessons.
  • paganbaby
    November 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Isn't that one of the draws of homeschooling?

And I so need to add more art. I keep meaning too but I just never get around to it. Maybe today. Bubba's been asking to paint.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Definitely not alone! I figure you only get so many opportunities for unscheduled fun, so grab each one if you can.

I'm thinking if the same thing for reading. We've done it several times before when we had appointments during the day. The girls don't mind at all, and it would let them have spare time or actually do some art or music.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

• paganbaby
    November 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM

He is. Just not as much as an average 8yo, I'd say.

Quoting catrig:

As long as he is still getting his lessons.

• ambertreas76
    November 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

That's the way I am.  I think that living life is most important.  

• anony111
    November 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM

BUMP!

• PurpleCupcake
    November 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM

• paganbaby
    November 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting anony111:

BUMP!

Homeschooling Moms