Homeschooling Moms

aneela
Which is correct?
by aneela
November 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

My husband was asking about the word Fall as in the season Fall and whether we are to write it with a capital F or not.

Which do you do?

Which do you do?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 31% - Fall, capital F always
  2. 5% - fall, never capital F
  3. 47% - Fall, only capital F when it starts a sentence
  4. 15% - other

Replies

• RockEducation
    November 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The F capitalized only if it is used with a proper name/noun. Such as Des Moines Fall Festival.

The F if it starts a sentence is pretty much a no-brainer. LOL

• posh417
    by posh417
    November 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

If it's the first word in the sentence or part of a proper name. Lower case otherwise.

• hipmomto3
    November 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Well I voted never, and then saw the next option. Obviously if it's the first word of a sentence it should be capitalized (any word should be, I can't think of any exclusions to that rule except perhaps a persnickety business which insists on going by a lowercase spelling - even then, it wouldn't be technically correct). Fall, as a season, is not a proper noun.

You would capitalize it as part of a proper noun - name of something - OR if it were used in a headline or title, you'd follow the headline and title capitalization rules.

http://www.write.com/writing-resources-articles/general-writing/miscellaneous/when-to-capitalize-seasons/

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    November 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    Also you could capitalize it if the season is personified with a human trait.
  • paganbaby
    November 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I usually don't unless it's the begining of the sentence. I don't know, is it a proper noun?

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 3, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    If you use it as a proper noun, a name, it should be capitalized.
  • KittyLaRie
    November 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    I always capitalize it
  • KittyLaRie
    November 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    I always capitalize it
  • No_Difference
    November 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM

We don't capitalize winter, spring, and summer, so why capitalize fall? Now if it's being used properly as in it's part of a name of an event, then it should follow proper noun rules, and of course when its at the start of a sentence.

• celticdragon77
    November 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I really love that siggy Kelly.

Quoting RockEducation:

The F capitalized only if it is used with a proper name/noun. Such as Des Moines Fall Festival.

The F if it starts a sentence is pretty much a no-brainer. LOL

Homeschooling Moms