Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
aneela
Which is correct?
by aneela
November 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

My husband was asking about the word Fall as in the season Fall and whether we are to write it with a capital F or not.

Which do you do?

Which do you do?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 31% - Fall, capital F always
  2. 5% - fall, never capital F
  3. 47% - Fall, only capital F when it starts a sentence
  4. 15% - other

Replies

• RockEducation
    November 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The F capitalized only if it is used with a proper name/noun. Such as Des Moines Fall Festival.

The F if it starts a sentence is pretty much a no-brainer. LOL

• posh417
    by posh417
    November 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

If it's the first word in the sentence or part of a proper name. Lower case otherwise.

• hipmomto3
    November 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Well I voted never, and then saw the next option. Obviously if it's the first word of a sentence it should be capitalized (any word should be, I can't think of any exclusions to that rule except perhaps a persnickety business which insists on going by a lowercase spelling - even then, it wouldn't be technically correct). Fall, as a season, is not a proper noun.

You would capitalize it as part of a proper noun - name of something - OR if it were used in a headline or title, you'd follow the headline and title capitalization rules.

http://www.write.com/writing-resources-articles/general-writing/miscellaneous/when-to-capitalize-seasons/

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    November 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    Also you could capitalize it if the season is personified with a human trait.
  • paganbaby
    November 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I usually don't unless it's the begining of the sentence. I don't know, is it a proper noun?

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 3, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    If you use it as a proper noun, a name, it should be capitalized.
  • KittyLaRie
    November 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    I always capitalize it
  • KittyLaRie
    November 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    I always capitalize it
  • No_Difference
    November 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM

We don't capitalize winter, spring, and summer, so why capitalize fall? Now if it's being used properly as in it's part of a name of an event, then it should follow proper noun rules, and of course when its at the start of a sentence.

• celticdragon77
    November 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I really love that siggy Kelly.

Quoting RockEducation:

The F capitalized only if it is used with a proper name/noun. Such as Des Moines Fall Festival.

The F if it starts a sentence is pretty much a no-brainer. LOL

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN