Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
AnnaBright
how do you grade essays ?
November 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
I had dd write a full essay on animal she researched. She had now spelling or grammar errors (she used computer to write it) and she covered what I asked. What system do you go by?

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    November 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Essays are very subjective. I generally give 10 points each for
    Grammar

Spelling

Neatness

content- animal habitat, diet, description, behaviors, etc.

Layout - opening body conclusion, paragraph indent, not going into margins, etc

I have them write a draft before they type it that I use for the layout/neatness.
  • abuckalew
    November 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    My daughter will be writing her first book report this month and I intend to teach her correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. I plan on being fairly tough (not this time) because I always tell her I have to prepare her for college and they won't be easy on her.

I haven't figured out any grading system, but I'm sure ill find something that works for us
  • TidewaterClan
    November 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I use a rubric like this one.

There are a lot of examples on the internet, but it came from this site.  There are rubrics out there for math, social studies, etc. too but I've just used the LA ones.

Rubrics let my girls and I both know exactly what to do & look for.  :)

• AnnaBright
    November 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    Ty rubric is what I was looking for for some reason couldn't think of the word.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I use a rubric like this one.

There are a lot of examples on the internet, but it came from this site.  There are rubrics out there for math, social studies, etc. too but I've just used the LA ones.

Rubrics let my girls and I both know exactly what to do & look for.  :)

• AnnaBright
    November 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    She would swipe my college writing text on me last year so shes pretty good at essays. Only had her do 200 words this time but think I can easily bump that up for her. She has all the basics even had a cover page, work cited page ,and header all in APA format

Quoting abuckalew:

My daughter will be writing her first book report this month and I intend to teach her correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. I plan on being fairly tough (not this time) because I always tell her I have to prepare her for college and they won't be easy on her.

I haven't figured out any grading system, but I'm sure ill find something that works for us
  • kirbymom
    November 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    With doing reports on computer, you can easily up the word count. And with word/spelling correction, she shouldn't have too many errors in spelling. Does she like doing reports on computer?
  • AnnaBright
    November 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    She did her prewriting note taking by hand but yes she does because of the formatting. Spelling and grammar has never been an issue for her so her using spell and grammar check I'm ok with
  • bluerooffarm
    November 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I give the boys a rubric before they write the essay that tells them exactly what I will be grading.  Usually I grade on spelling, grammar, and a selection of techniques that we are working toward.  Then I use the rubric afterward to grade the essay.

• sha_lyn68
    November 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I c/p into PaperRater: http://www.paperrater.com/

and use the rubric that is included in the program we use (Jensen's format writing)

• paganbaby
    November 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Sounds good.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Essays are very subjective. I generally give 10 points each for
    Grammar

Spelling

Neatness

content- animal habitat, diet, description, behaviors, etc.

Layout - opening body conclusion, paragraph indent, not going into margins, etc

I have them write a draft before they type it that I use for the layout/neatness.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts