Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
So what age is old enough to babysit in your opinion? (LOL Spin off so we don't take over a thread)
by mem82
November 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM

In Ohio, there is no age limit. It is a gray area that states that a reasonable adult would assume it is okay to leave the child. AKA It's reasonable to leave an 8yo alone while you go grocery shopping but not reasonable to leave them home alone at midnight.

My oldest, 12, watches the younger kids for me when needed. She is also extremely reliable and mature armed with a cell phone and 2 very large dogs. We don't leave her at night except to walk around the block after dinner. If Rob and I go out and will be gone longer than 2 hours or if we'll be gone late, we call my mom to come over.

She has watched herself and the younger three since she was 10 (IF the baby was napping) while I ran down the street to the store for milk but never more than 20 minutes at a time.

What do you think?

Replies

• TatyBear
    November 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    My area its no.age to stay home alone ( common.sense should be used) lol

To take your sibling babysitting course is age 11. DD.is 11 and has hers. She can babysit her siblings up.to.5 hrs. As long as its in the hours of 6am and 8pm. No over nights and her siblings are 3 and up.

That's for siblings.

To watch other kids its a different babysitting course starting at the age of 12. You can watch any age and any time.

But overall MATURITY comes first.

My 11 yr old stays home and only watched her sister at the park or at friends etc.....if I left them home together my 5 yr old would beat my.11 yr old. Lol

Oh IMO. Its totally fine.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    November 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM

LOL Yeah, I have to give a stern talking to my 4 yo and 8yo boys. They'd kill each other if not.

Quoting TatyBear:

To take your sibling babysitting course is age 11. DD.is 11 and has hers. She can babysit her siblings up.to.5 hrs. As long as its in the hours of 6am and 8pm. No over nights and her siblings are 3 and up.

That's for siblings.

To watch other kids its a different babysitting course starting at the age of 12. You can watch any age and any time.

My 11 yr old stays home and only watched her sister at the park or at friends etc.....if I left them home together my 5 yr old would beat my.11 yr old. Lol

• TatyBear
    November 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    Haha.

Once my 5 yr old is a bit older and would see her sister as more in a caregiver role, it will be fine. But right now I.know she would not listen to her.

I have left her with my 21 month old. But only to go up the street for a few minutes in bad weather, getting my 5 yr old on her school bus. Lol

Quoting mem82:

LOL Yeah, I have to give a stern talking to my 4 yo and 8yo boys. They'd kill each other if not.

Quoting TatyBear:

That's for siblings.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    November 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    Here I believe is 12, but personally it depends on the person. I would have trusted Dh's 12 yr old sister before I would have trusted my 19 yr old sister to stay with my children.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    November 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM

LOL I have a few relatives where I feel the same way.

Quoting Dawn07:

Here I believe is 12, but personally it depends on the person. I would have trusted Dh's 12 yr old sister before I would have trusted my 19 yr old sister to stay with my children.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    November 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Here's my take, which is probably unique.  My kids are an average of 1.5 years apart.  I don't leave them for lengthy times, cuz that's just inviting trouble.  Bill and I have gone out on morning walks when no one, or maybe just one, is awake.  They know where we are and we won't be long.  Whoever is awake, is "in charge."  We define this as making sure no one leaves the front door and no one hops the fence in the back (we back to common space and have a low fence that they climb over when we're home so they have more playing space).  To me, they should not be expected to listen to a sibling.  A sibling can remind them of the rules, but there are fewer than 6 years between all my kids, and I can't fathom telling my kids that they're responsible for the others or that the others have to bow down to the commands of another.  That tells you about the maturity of my kids.  :)  BUT, if I were to hire a babysitter, I would expect that there would be interactions, they'd color, read, have fun.  With my own children, it's more an expectation that they all police each other so no one leaves the house and no one does anything dangerous.

I was babysitting when I was 11.

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I have heard of this type of *take* before. I can see certain merits to it, especially if your kids were a little older. Since my kids have such large gaps, I do leave the oldest in charge. We have just recently told my older two, 12 and 8, that the 8 year old is now in charge of babysitting himself. LOL I think he is now old enough for that. My 4 and 2 yo are getting babysat by the oldest, though. Plus, we do leave for longer periods of time.

Quoting hwblyf:

Here's my take, which is probably unique.  My kids are an average of 1.5 years apart.  I don't leave them for lengthy times, cuz that's just inviting trouble.  Bill and I have gone out on morning walks when no one, or maybe just one, is awake.  They know where we are and we won't be long.  Whoever is awake, is "in charge."  We define this as making sure no one leaves the front door and no one hops the fence in the back (we back to common space and have a low fence that they climb over when we're home so they have more playing space).  To me, they should not be expected to listen to a sibling.  A sibling can remind them of the rules, but there are fewer than 6 years between all my kids, and I can't fathom telling my kids that they're responsible for the others or that the others have to bow down to the commands of another.  That tells you about the maturity of my kids.  :)  BUT, if I were to hire a babysitter, I would expect that there would be interactions, they'd color, read, have fun.  With my own children, it's more an expectation that they all police each other so no one leaves the house and no one does anything dangerous.

• debramommyof4
    November 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    I get nervous. I have 4 (7 and under). If they are asleep in the car and we are dropping stuff off at my sisters and my oldest or 2nd is awake I have that child lock all doors and take my cell phone while I run upstairs leaving the car on. They have to stay in their and call their aunt if they feel threatened. I am never out of sight of my truck and never gone longer than 5 min.

But to trust them all to be awake and active alone in the house means my house would be burned to the ground.

Because I have so many young ones I would want no one younger than 21. But for one on one or one on 2 sitting I might let a child between 13 and 16 babysit. But it depends on which of my kids.
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    November 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

And see, if I had a 12yo and a 2yo, there's a definite hierarchy.  Mine's a blurring of the lines.  My mom LOVES to complain about how when she was a kid (seriously, 60 year ago, sigh) she had to watch her younger 2.  COMPLAINS!!!!  So I don't want to set up that kind of relationship with my kids, especially since they are closer in age.  Now, if I had just one kid, I'm thinking 8 would be a bit young to be left alone, but to be on his own in the company of my other kids, totally.  If I said that right.  :)  You should see how excited my youngest (5 today!) gets when he's "in charge."  He doesn't know that it's a teeny tiny bit of responsibility, he just knows he's trusted.  One day I want to leave for a longer period of time.  :)

Quoting mem82:

I have heard of this type of *take* before. I can see certain merits to it, especially if your kids were a little older. Since my kids have such large gaps, I do leave the oldest in charge. We have just recently told my older two, 12 and 8, that the 8 year old is now in charge of babysitting himself. LOL I think he is now old enough for that. My 4 and 2 yo are getting babysat by the oldest, though. Plus, we do leave for longer periods of time.

Quoting hwblyf:

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM

THIS! My 8yo has never been left on his own but he feels like a 'man' now that he is in charge of babysitting himself. LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

And see, if I had a 12yo and a 2yo, there's a definite hierarchy.  Mine's a blurring of the lines.  My mom LOVES to complain about how when she was a kid (seriously, 60 year ago, sigh) she had to watch her younger 2.  COMPLAINS!!!!  So I don't want to set up that kind of relationship with my kids, especially since they are closer in age.  Now, if I had just one kid, I'm thinking 8 would be a bit young to be left alone, but to be on his own in the company of my other kids, totally.  If I said that right.  :)  You should see how excited my youngest (5 today!) gets when he's "in charge."  He doesn't know that it's a teeny tiny bit of responsibility, he just knows he's trusted.  One day I want to leave for a longer period of time.  :)

Quoting mem82:

Quoting hwblyf:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts