Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Getting ready for the holidays! Yikes!!
October 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I just wanted to share this, someone might find it helpful.  We started it last year with our kids.  I admittedly have a problem buying everything for Christmas.  My kids have been SPOILED.  We have tried to cut back, but I always overspend and get them way more than they could ever need.  Last year I tried this and it worked for the most part, but Santa brought more and my parents and DH's mom get them more as well...that's why this list is PLENTY from mom and dad.  I type it up and print it in red and green and the kids fill it in, I wish I had started it much younger...

For Christmas

Something I want......................................................

Something I need.....................................................

Something I'll wear...................................................

Something I'll read....................................................

And I'd really like........................................................

Replies

• KrissyKC
    October 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM

That is really cool!

We used to go overboard, but a few years ago, we sat everyone down for a family meeting and a discussion on rethinking our holidays.

We decided to use the whole, "Jesus got three gifts for his b-day!"   Each kid gets three gifts under the tree...

However, I guess I sorta ruin part of this because I also put together stockings and they get something small to cuddle or take to bed with them the night before.   One year, I made them all fleece pillow covers, another year I gave them Christmas PJ's (from a thrift store)...  another year, I did a throw...  I'm not sure what to do this year.   They have bibles...  Maybe a Christmas bear???

However, out of their three gifts, one is always practical.   One is helpful or educational, and one is for fun.

This year, we are saving for some Keva planks as the educational gift....  the practical one is pjs/socks/slippers....  the fun one is catered to each kid.

• TJandKarasMom
    October 30, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Last year we did a "Christmas Eve Box" I totally forgot about that!  It was actually my way of getting the visit with my parents shortened because the few years before we would go on Christmas Eve and not get home until basically bed time, so I felt like it was too much, I wanted to relax and read Twas the Night Before Christmas without being rushed.  So I put the box out a few days before, so they wanted to open it for days and it was easy to leave my parents house after an hour ;)  In it was a big popcorn bowl, fancy popcorn, a Christmas movie, a Christmas book and maybe some fuzzy sock/slippers or something.  I can't remember everything, lol...I will have to ask the kids.

But that was just a way for me to still go overboard.  I have got to get that under control.  We don't have a lot of money, but I end up buying stuff at thrift stores or on ebay.  We have been really blessed and able to give our kids things they really wanted and needed, but I still think they are missing the meaning of Christmas.  Maybe we still need to go back another step.

Quoting KrissyKC:

That is really cool!

We used to go overboard, but a few years ago, we sat everyone down for a family meeting and a discussion on rethinking our holidays.

We decided to use the whole, "Jesus got three gifts for his b-day!"   Each kid gets three gifts under the tree...

However, I guess I sorta ruin part of this because I also put together stockings and they get something small to cuddle or take to bed with them the night before.   One year, I made them all fleece pillow covers, another year I gave them Christmas PJ's (from a thrift store)...  another year, I did a throw...  I'm not sure what to do this year.   They have bibles...  Maybe a Christmas bear???

However, out of their three gifts, one is always practical.   One is helpful or educational, and one is for fun.

This year, we are saving for some Keva planks as the educational gift....  the practical one is pjs/socks/slippers....  the fun one is catered to each kid.

• TJandKarasMom
    October 30, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I didnt know what Keva planks were so I just looked them up, those look awesome!  You can do so much with them!

Quoting KrissyKC:

That is really cool!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

That is a great idea!

• coala
    by coala
    October 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

This is an awesome idea BTW.

This year I have set a gift limit.  5 gifts for each child.  I have also asked them to give me 3 things that they want....from that list I will guide their sibling into picking a gift that is budget appropriate.

My youngest: artistic roller skates, skating dress, helmet, barnes and noble gift card, and a hand me down tablet.

My oldest: recreational roller blades, speed skating outfit, barnes and noble gift card, hand me down tablet...not sure about item #5 just yet, but I have a bit of time left.

My MIL has gone overboard....I don't know how to reign her in.  LOL

We are trying to focus on the meaning behind Christmas with them.  We are also going to volunteer our time to help prepare boxes of food for the needy on Christmas Eve.  My youngest decided a few years ago since the meaning of Christmas was to celebrate the birth of Christ we needed to make a cake.  I thought it was sweet so we now have a new tradition.

• AnnaBright
    October 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    We buy them to much...and my parents, dh's parents, the 4 sets of grand parents, and dozen aunts uncles...we're doing 1 big gift and stockings this year. We have 2 w birthdays within 2 weeks of Christmas also
  • AnnaBright
    October 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    I had to also lol

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I didnt know what Keva planks were so I just looked them up, those look awesome!  You can do so much with them!

Quoting KrissyKC:

That is really cool!

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I tend to go overboard because I buy during the year and then forget what I bought already.  LOL, I am working on that.  DS is spoiled by his aunts/uncles and grandparents so at least one of us needs to reign it in.

• TJandKarasMom
    October 31, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    I do the same thing!

DH has been telling me for years to reign it in bc our parents buy them lots of stuff. And they end up with sooo much junk that seems so wasteful!

Quoting kmath:

I tend to go overboard because I buy during the year and then forget what I bought already.  LOL, I am working on that.  DS is spoiled by his aunts/uncles and grandparents so at least one of us needs to reign it in.

• TJandKarasMom
    October 31, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    My DHs bday is ten days after Christmas, he was kind if ripped off as a kid so I always try to make sure the two are very separate. This year is his big 30! Last year for my 30th he was AWESOME, so I'm trying to top that with a motorcycle, but there is no way I will be able to do it on his bday (never mind that there will probably be six feet of snow on the ground lol) so he will probably get a picture and get the actual thing in the spring!

I like one big gift and stockings...but I know I can't do it. So this list helps. I'm kind of looking forward to next year when I think both kids won't believe in Santa anymore, but I think I ruined it too early for DS....but it's too late now. Now DD seems iffy but she's still talking about Santa so I still have to do it! Which just means even more gifts!

Quoting AnnaBright:

We buy them to much...and my parents, dh's parents, the 4 sets of grand parents, and dozen aunts uncles...we're doing 1 big gift and stockings this year. We have 2 w birthdays within 2 weeks of Christmas also

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN