Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KrissyKC
Normal???
October 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM

My Abby (whom I think might be ADHD and possibly ODD)...  has a hard time with threes.

One, she skips 13 everytime she counts.   Even though I hit the teens hard and have tried to improve her counting, 9 weeks later, she is still counting about the same as she did when we started.   This is if she is rote counting, counting items, adding one more, anything....

Not a big deal... lots of 5 yr olds skip numbers here and there.

However, she really struggles again when she gets to the thirties.   I'm starting to see a pattern.   She says "firthy free" instead of "thirty three"...  then it blends and mixes up with the forties...   She says 13 wrong, too.....

She confuses 13 and 30... a lot... she blends 13 with fourteeen.

We have used objects, used number lines, measured items, hundreds charts, hundreds chart activities, etc...  I've tried to use money, time, etc...   It's like it's only sorta making sense, and when it does one minute, the very next moment she has forgotten.

Ok.

That being said, I wondered if she is struggling with them so much because she is saying the (three) words wrong.  She's not maybe identifying between the two.  So, I started trying to get her to put her tongue on her teeth for the "th" sound... Only now she's so concerned about saying it that she is even more confused about the counting.

hmmm.

Replies

• Chasing3
    October 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM

maybe start with googling speech therapy techniques on how to get kid to make the "th" sound.

good luck!

• PurpleCupcake
    October 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Mama, she is 5 and she sounds normal to me! Kids frequently reverse numbers and have trouble with specific sets of numbers. 

The only way I would think of this as abnormal is if she has a speech problem, but that still wouldn't be a math problem. If it is a speech problem, have her evaluated by a doc. 

Also consider she may be missing certain teeth which made it hard to pronounce words properly. 

Trouble with "th" is common and probably won't go away for years.

My son confused 51 & 15 for years...Just those 2 numbers. No clue why!

• Bluecalm
    October 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    My son has speech problems and did the same thing at 5. Work on the "th" sound. The tongue goes up behind the teeth for that sound. You can put some peanut butter on the back of her front teeth and get her to lift her tongue to lick it off to give her practice for the correct placement.
  • AutymsMommy
    October 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM

It sounds like a speech problem. My 4 year old cannot say his "th" sounds, so it sounds like he's saying "ferty" (forty) for this thirties, and "ferteen" (fourteen) instead of thirteen. He knows them and in his head, he is saying it correctly.

I was told that this is normal for the 4/5 range and not something usually addressed on its own (as per the speech path next door, lol).

• KrissyKC
    October 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Thank you for the reassurance... this is what I was thinking, but I don't have a ton of confidence in myself and it helps to hear that we are doing thins well.   Since she is the polar opposite of her older two siblings, she's the one that throws me for a loop.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Mama, she is 5 and she sounds normal to me! Kids frequently reverse numbers and have trouble with specific sets of numbers. 

The only way I would think of this as abnormal is if she has a speech problem, but that still wouldn't be a math problem. If it is a speech problem, have her evaluated by a doc. 

Also consider she may be missing certain teeth which made it hard to pronounce words properly. 

Trouble with "th" is common and probably won't go away for years.

My son confused 51 & 15 for years...Just those 2 numbers. No clue why!

• bluerooffarm
    October 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM

look up the Math U See video about counting.  They really stress the patterns that are lacking in the teens.  She is counting fine up to the first "true teen." He talks about how frustrating the teens are because they should truly be onety-one, onety-two, onety-three.... But they aren't.  It really helped my middle boy to start remembering 15.  He skipped it every blessed time for nearly a year until we watched the Demme video on the teens.

• paganbaby
    October 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting Chasing3:

maybe start with googling speech therapy techniques on how to get kid to make the "th" sound.

good luck!

• kirbymom
    October 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    This is normal by all accounts. Just keep doing all the things that you are doing.. More than likely this is just a phase that she will grow out of. I did the same thing when I was her age. I grew out of it. She probably will too.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts