Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
unsuspected
Ive lost my groove!
October 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM
This is my first year homeschooling my four kids.

September was awesome.

October was a bust, just BAD. I scheduled one week off after a week of insanity.

They don't listen to me. I don't want to tell them not to laugh and play, but the giggeling is disrespectful and a huge speed bump.

I know I can't give up.
I'm not thinking that.
But ... what do I do to keep us all focused?

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Could you make those *mini office* dividers so the kids won't have as much direct eye contact? That might help.

• unsuspected
    October 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    That's what my hubby suggested too. But it seems mean to me. Especially since we do history and science as a group.

Quoting mem82:

Could you make those *mini office* dividers so the kids won't have as much direct eye contact? That might help.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

You got to do what you got to do, though. What is mean about it? 8) They see each other all the time. 20 minutes with a cardboard divider isn't mean. If you are getting frustrated and upset if the work isn't getting done, that's not pleasant either right? they can take them down but if they have giggle fits, put them back up. 8)

Quoting unsuspected:

That's what my hubby suggested too. But it seems mean to me. Especially since we do history and science as a group.

Quoting mem82:

• unsuspected
    October 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    I'm willing to try it. :-)

Quoting mem82:

You got to do what you got to do, though. What is mean about it? 8) They see each other all the time. 20 minutes with a cardboard divider isn't mean. If you are getting frustrated and upset if the work isn't getting done, that's not pleasant either right? they can take them down but if they have giggle fits, put them back up. 8)

Quoting unsuspected:

Quoting mem82:

• Jinx-Troublex3
    October 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I used dto have to do this with my two younger kids. The youngest is advanced andhte middle child has learning disabilities so they are often at the same level and we do things together. I bought one of those tri-fold project boards to put up between them.  I have one kid on each side of the table, then I sit at the head of the table so they can both see me but not each other.

I still use it at times, mainly for testing so they can't sneak peeks LOL.

Quoting unsuspected:

Quoting mem82:

• WizardOfAhs
    October 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I run into the same problems at least once a week. After a huge discussion (read hour long sermon from mommy) last year, I only need remind them that there is a time for everything. As children, their 'job' is to train for adulthood. Adults have work time, and play time, and we don't always get to choose which we would like to do at the moment. Play is important. Enjoying family is important. But learning and expanding ourselves is just as important. I know some parents have a real problem with words like 'boundaries', 'schedules', 'discipline' etc...but they are a vital part of a child's learning to become a productive adult. I honestly don't think you are doing them any favors by allowing them to drive you into the ground and make you take a week off in despair. Don't get me wrong, I have had some really bad days myself. Pick yourself up, dust off, and set some rules. Begin anew. Be the parent you need to be.

• coala
    by coala
    October 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

This is amazing advice!!

Quoting WizardOfAhs:

I run into the same problems at least once a week. After a huge discussion (read hour long sermon from mommy) last year, I only need remind them that there is a time for everything. As children, their 'job' is to train for adulthood. Adults have work time, and play time, and we don't always get to choose which we would like to do at the moment. Play is important. Enjoying family is important. But learning and expanding ourselves is just as important. I know some parents have a real problem with words like 'boundaries', 'schedules', 'discipline' etc...but they are a vital part of a child's learning to become a productive adult. I honestly don't think you are doing them any favors by allowing them to drive you into the ground and make you take a week off in despair. Don't get me wrong, I have had some really bad days myself. Pick yourself up, dust off, and set some rules. Begin anew. Be the parent you need to be.

• coala
    by coala
    October 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I have been having trouble since we are kind of unschooling before we start again with our curriculum in January.  I have to separate my children into rooms and let them work on things individually so they aren't distracting each other...some days it helps and others they just don't want to do the work.

• paganbaby
    October 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Fourtunatly mine are far enough apart in age they don't really distract each other. Here's a bump though.

• KrissyKC
    October 30, 2013 at 1:51 AM

When they get to being goofy and disruptive, stop all work and then you just sit quietly and wait.   When you have all of their attention, let them know that by not cooperating and getting completed that they are eating into their free time later.   Then simply begin again...   Repeat as necessary.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN