Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
How would you define successful homeschooling?
October 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Obviously we all believe in home education however we all have different styles goals and beliefs. I'm curious how you will know if you were a sucessful homeschooler?

Will you judge yourself on your children's sat scores, college or career choices?

Will you judge your family on its bonds and relationships?

How will you know you were successful?

Replies

• SusanTheWriter
    October 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM

If she's equipped to do the things she wants to do, we'll have been successful.

• candiedgala
    October 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I want my child to be an enthusiastic, energetic adult with lots of curiosity and personal motivation. I want us to spend as much time together as a family as we possibly can. I don't care about test scores or what she chooses to do for a living. I'll know it worked if she has frank, lovings relationships with us and is passionate about life.

• bluerooffarm
    October 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I want my boys to have closeknit relationships, tight family bonds, and a career they enjoy.  I want them to see the blessings that are not monetary as well as those that are, and to see that they make choices that get them where they are, not just life cicumstances.  If I see all of that out of them when they are adults, then I will have been a successful parent AND a successful homeschooler.

• paganbaby
    October 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

If she's equipped to do the things she wants to do, we'll have been successful.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I'm in limbo right now about how I'll know I'm successful.  I want my kids to be smart.  They already are, it's nothing I've done, it's who they are.  I want them to be compassionate.  Some days they are.  Is that really something that's specific to homeschooling?  I want us to love each other and not be the biggest frickin' jerks to each other.  Um.....yeah, I'll get back to you on that one....  I want them to know how to find information they don't possess.  I want them to be able to figure things out.  I want them to not give up.  And I want them to know that they are more than others will define them as being.  I want them to gain understanding.  So how do I do that?  And what about all the other junk?  I'm walking through a darkened alley in my life right now and am struggling.  It's a good question, one I'll have to ponder more.  Thank you!

• TidewaterClan
    October 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Before this year (first hs) my girls were both just one step away from being scared of school.  They weren't motivated to learn more than what class and homework dictated.  Now they LOVE to learn, and they're confident too.  If they keep that joy throughout their lives I'll feel like I've accomplished my homeschooling goal. :)

• Leissaintexas
    October 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I'll know I did my job when my daughter is a godly wife and mother, and my son is a godly husband and father who leads and provides for his family. My goal is to raise people who put God first, family second, and are inquisitive, curious and self reliant.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    October 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    I have two goals while homeschooling.

1. Love of reading and books.
    2. Love of learning. Life long learner.

If you can accomplish these goals then you are a sucess. If my kids ever walk away hating learning and reading then I failed them.
  • AnnaBright
    October 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    For me success hs my oldest is that shes not restricted in what and how quickly she learns and that she reaches her goals as she grows into a respectful young woman
  • Molimomma
    October 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM

If we survive :). (Just kidding) I am just starting this journey (my son is only 3) and I am coming from teaching public school so it has been an adjustment in a LOT of my thinking already. I think I will consider us successful if Monkey learns all the basics, thrives, excels in whatever areas are his gifts. If he has a well-rounded education and good social skills. Solid life skills so he can be independent and eventually live out in the world alone and be happy and successful. I hope he goes to college and he'll need a scholarship to get through so I am aiming for that long-term as well. I want him to love reading and books(we are doing fantastic in that respect so far!) I want him to love learning, have interests and goals. I need to teach him how to focus and complete what he starts.. He has boundless energy and some sensory issues so I also hope I can teach him how to deal with those and overcome obstacles. I could probably go on and on. I'm a mom, I want the best for my son. I want him to be healthy, happy, loved, not homeless or jobless :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN