Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
romacox
My Last Newsletter To Subscribers
by romacox
October 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I have given introductions so you can pick and choose only the articles that interest you. 

Left Brain Right Brain
1. I have talked much about whole brain teaching.  The following site has an interesting free on-line test to find out which side you or your children use the most:  Sommer + Sommer

2. Psychology Today talks about What Learning Cursive Does For The Brain.

Teaching Reading
As a parent, can you teach your child to read, or help them improve?  If you can read, the answer is yes.  With the right tools and a little information, it is very easy.

1.  The number one cause of reading difficulty is that children are taught the wrong way to pronounce some of the phonic sounds.  It does not effect all children, but because it effects so many, it is important to get the basics right.  Computer games often teach the letters, T,D,B,G,H,C,J,W,K, P and sometimes M,  incorrectly by putting a lower case u sound at the end. For example:  we do not say hu-a-pu-y for happy. 

So it is  recommend the parent teach the phonic sounds to the child, so you know they are getting the basics correctly.  No need to be intimidated.  Following is a free web page that allows you to hear the sounds (video format), so that you can make sure the child has learned the sounds properly.  Learning the sounds correctly has even helped sixth graders who were having difficulty with their reading.  But, of course, it is easier to  teach it right from the start.  Hear Phonic Sounds Free

2.  I use the whole brain method of teaching language arts with the game, Ring Around The Phonics, because children love it, and advance rapidly.  It is also great way to catch children up who are behind in their reading.  It is very economical, because it can be used to teach all sorts of language arts subjects, and can even earn you some extra income.  It makes a great gift too. 

Asperger's Syndrome
Jacob Barnett,14 year old may be smarter than Einstein  .His parents have created Jacobs Place to raise awareness, and dispel myths about Autism.  Jacob is featured on Ted Talks in the following You-Tube video:  Jacob Barnett at Ted X Teen

His mother noticed that Jacob was not flourishing in the public school environment.  She took him out of his school's special ed program, and began homeschooling him.  She noticed that he had a fascination with patterns.  Following that interest,  she began letting him study the things he was passionate about.  He began advancing dramatically. 

German Company hires Asperger Autists AS Software Testers, because they are exceptionally good at it. 

For Business Owners
1.  Many of you may be aware of Pinterest for personal use.  But Pinterest also has a special sign up for business owners. You can actually have a personal account and a Business Pinterest, or convert your personal  account to business account, which has added features and options.
2.  PicMonkey is a free photo editing website where you can create your pins for your Business Pinterest. 

Science Projects

Replies

• paganbaby
    October 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Looks good.

• kirbymom
    October 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    Really? Why? This looks great!
  • romacox
    by romacox
    October 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for the compliment Kirbymom.  You are always an inspiration.  I did not mean I won' t be sending out anymore newsletters,,,I meant to say that is is my latest one. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Really? Why? This looks great!

• bluerooffarm
    October 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Bump!  There's a lot of great advice in here, make sure you all see it before it falls off the front page again!

• romacox
    by romacox
    October 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Thank you bluerooffarm.  You are so validating...just one of the things I like about you.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Bump!  There's a lot of great advice in here, make sure you all see it before it falls off the front page again!

• kirbymom
    October 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    Whew!! Good! :) You have some great ideas and advice.

Quoting romacox:

Thanks for the compliment Kirbymom.  You are always an inspiration.  I did not mean I won' t be sending out anymore newsletters,,,I meant to say that is is my latest one. 

Quoting kirbymom:Really? Why? This looks great!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN