Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Trigonometry ... whodu whadda huh???
October 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Whew! Algebra, I get. Calculus, I can understand..a little. BUT trig is making me wantvto pull my hair out by the roots! *Sheesh*

How many different ways can you 'splain it anyways!?!!?

Is there an easy way to understand trigonometry? If so, please please let me in on it!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    October 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Soh Cah Toa.

Other than converting from Radians to Degrees and back, Soh Cah Toa explains everything.

Then the big numbers for moving from degrees to rads and back it's helpful to use the circle:

• SusanTheWriter
    October 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Ooooh. Look at all the pretty squiggles!

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    Oh yeah! This just might do the trick! At least I hope so.
    Thank You !!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Soh Cah Toa.

Other than converting from Radians to Degrees and back, Soh Cah Toa explains everything.

Then the big numbers for moving from degrees to rads and back it's helpful to use the circle:

• bluerooffarm
    October 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Oh good!  Glad I could help.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh yeah! This just might do the trick! At least I hope so.
    Thank You !!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Soh Cah Toa.

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Ah yes... squiggly lines.
    Do you understand what they are saying? lol

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

• SusanTheWriter
    October 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Some days I wish I did. After all, I didn't do too badly in Russian. How hard can math language be?

It turns out that some people pick up languages because they're logically math-oriented - they both follow rules. I pick up languages because I'm attuned to the culture and the music of the sounds. Math may as well be one of those African clicking languages for all I can figure it out.

Ah well. At least it's something that DH and DD can bond over.

Quoting kirbymom:

Ah yes... squiggly lines.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    Lol - I can understand languages much easier than I can understand trig. Trig is like this secret society and if you don't know the lingo you eon't be getting in no matter how hard you try. bleh

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Some days I wish I did. After all, I didn't do too badly in Russian. How hard can math language be?

It turns out that some people pick up languages because they're logically math-oriented - they both follow rules. I pick up languages because I'm attuned to the culture and the music of the sounds. Math may as well be one of those African clicking languages for all I can figure it out.

Ah well. At least it's something that DH and DD can bond over.

Quoting kirbymom:Ah yes... squiggly lines.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

• 12345abcde54321
    October 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Come up with a game to help the kids memorize the unit circle. That will help a lot. I'm sure Dr Google can suggest a game for you. SohCahToa - when I was a teen I loved the band Nirvana. My Dad called me from work one day and told me that Kurt Cobain's native American name was SohCahToa and I believed him lol. When he came home later he told me it was just a trig memorization shortcut and we laughed about it. Silly, but I never forgot it!

• MammaG08
    October 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

If you understand trig, it will make calk so much easier for you.  Best of luck!

• AnnaBright
    October 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    Www.purplemath.com....got me through college calc and trig. Give ex. And walks you through equations.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts