Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
AutymsMommy
Help me think this through before I present it to our co-op leaders.
October 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Hypothetically, you were offered the ability to partially enroll your children in a private school for gifted and/or dyslexic children. You could enroll in any of the following subjects (as many or as few as you want): literature/english, OG tutoring, history, science, mathematics, woodshop/3D art, art, music.

You all know about the wonderful school my daughter attends. He wants to reach out to homeschoolers. The school targets children who are both gifted and dyslexic, or just gifted. Other learning disablities are considered - like ADD/ADHD, but not children who have autism or spectrum disorders solely (that isn't what they have the resources for).

I'm going to reach out to the heads/owners of the Catholic co-ops I belong to. The Headmaster had a less than great encounter when he presented this to a protestant group, who appeared to take offense to that he didn't teach young earth creation and that the history is secular. The school is secular, although the Headmaster is conservative and very inclusive/respectful of all faiths. We've yet to run into any issues as Catholics.

What would entice you to take part in this? I'm going to meet with him again to get a price break down (right now tuition is yearly, and he would need to figure out a price breakdown by class/semester/month for this), and because I see some logistical issues (like running your child out daily for one or two supplemental classes) - but I think those could be resolved.

So if this were offered to you, what are some things you would want to see or know? Questions you would ask at a parent session?

ETA: the "homeschool extension" students would have access to the same interscholastic opportunities, camp outs, hiking trips, field trips, etc that the full time students have access to.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    October 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM

That sounds like an awesome opportunity.  What is OG tutoring?  Would the classes be daily or are they block scheduled on an AB type schedule?  Our co-op is done on a weekly basis, so I'd rather not make a commitment to get my kids somewhere every single day, but if the classes were offered M-W-F or T-Th then I would consider enrolling for a class or two.

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What time would the classes be at?  I would prefer morning classes, because mid-day classes mean we would get nothing else done that day.  I also would want a block schedule so we could have full days at home.  What would the cost be?  Would it involve a lot of extra homework? 

That's all I can think of right now.

• SusanTheWriter
    October 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM

What bluerooffarm said. I think block classes would be a huge benefit to homeschoolers instead of everyday scheduling.

If there are any secular or military homeschooling groups in your area, give them the heads up, too.

• AutymsMommy
    October 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM

OG Tutoring = Orton Gillingham Tutoring (for dyslexic children)

That's the big logistical issue - it's a full time school, not university model, so all classes are done every day but Friday (half day). I think it could be worked around because I know new material isn't presented in class every single day, and I think independent research/vocab work/etc could be done at home on "off days".

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That sounds like an awesome opportunity.  What is OG tutoring?  Would the classes be daily or are they block scheduled on an AB type schedule?  Our co-op is done on a weekly basis, so I'd rather not make a commitment to get my kids somewhere every single day, but if the classes were offered M-W-F or T-Th then I would consider enrolling for a class or two.

• AutymsMommy
    October 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Time dependent on which classes you choose - they are skill level based, not really grade based, for skill subjects (math, ELA), so I think only offering content classes (history, science, woodshop, art, etc) would be the only prudent option - and those are blocked to the afternoon.

Quoting kmath:

What time would the classes be at?  I would prefer morning classes, because mid-day classes mean we would get nothing else done that day.  I also would want a block schedule so we could have full days at home.  What would the cost be?  Would it involve a lot of extra homework? 

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I like the classes that would be offered.  There seems to be a good variety and some of those are hard for me to teach so would be nice to have offered.  Afternoon would be ok as well, that would still give us the morning to work on other subjects. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Time dependent on which classes you choose - they are skill level based, not really grade based, for skill subjects (math, ELA), so I think only offering content classes (history, science, woodshop, art, etc) would be the only prudent option - and those are blocked to the afternoon.

Quoting kmath:

• bluerooffarm
    October 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Thanks.

I know most of our co-op families did not want to commit to anything daily when we were discussing classes.  So I think that would be a drawback for many hs families.  But if something could be worked out, it would be a great opportunity.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

OG Tutoring = Orton Gillingham Tutoring (for dyslexic children)

That's the big logistical issue - it's a full time school, not university model, so all classes are done every day but Friday (half day). I think it could be worked around because I know new material isn't presented in class every single day, and I think independent research/vocab work/etc could be done at home on "off days".

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    This would be my same concern.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• AutymsMommy
    October 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Mine as well. Logistical nightmare.

But, as new material isn't presented every day in the content subjects, and some days are more "documentary, research, vocab, writing about what has been learned", I think those logistics could be worked out.

Quoting kirbymom:

This would be my same concern.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• PurpleCupcake
    October 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Since the focus is gifted children I would want to know what would be so different from teaching average children. 

Teaching gifted children is very different than average children. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN