Homeschooling Moms

abuckalew
im loving/hating homeschool...rant
October 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM
im loving/hating homeschool...rantroup due to wanting to homeschool my 9yo dd. And somehow I picked up another child :/. My aunt/sitter when I do work now as custody of her granddaughter who needs more help than my dd (she's 11). I would feel bad to say no, but now I have 2 extra mouths to feed and they havent bought one thing to help with school! I diligently went out and bought my dd what she needed (curriculum) and they want me to teach my lil cousin what in teaching my daughter.....which means they haven't bought work books or anything. So now I have to make copies of my daughter's workbooks. Im so irritated right now! I have constantly asked for my aunt and uncle to buy her the workbooks and even said to ask her son to send her child support but that's a whole other story. Now we can't do all the science experiments cuz I have to buy double cuz they can't afford it! I'm thisclose to telling them to go back to public school but I don't want to break this little girls heart or lose my sitter (who babysits for free now). I feel like I have a milillion things to say but can't get them out!

Besides the previous statement I love teaching my daughter, I just wish I could work more :/

UPDATE:
My aunt doesn't watch my 2yo dd and 1yo dd 5 days a week. She will take them a bath in the morning and after breakfast she will go visit with my gma or just sit and watch tv while my girls pull at ky legs for milk, cookies, snacks, etc. Even if I tell her toget it she won't always do it. It's easier for me to just do it. And she's only watching my girls for free when I do work. That's only been 3 days in 2.5 weeks. And she only watched them 2 of the days cuz one day was a sat.

Also I've also asked her plenty of times to bring food. They eat breakfast and lunch at my house and sometimes a snack. I know its just food. But I have 5 kids to feed with only my dh working full time its not easy to just buy for 2 more ppl. I have told her about 5 times to apply for PA but she's unsure if she wants to finish the process cuz they are asking about CS and need my cousins other aunt to call them....she says its too much trouble. I straight told her well, giving up isnt gonna feed anyone or make it easier for you and your dh.

And, i did tell her that they needed to provid half of the supplies for experiments and buy work books before I agreed to HS her grand daughter. I even got online WITH her there to price them. She said they. Were but I've brought it up plenty of times nd now She says she doesn't know when they are gonna be able to pitch in or buy work books.

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    October 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Honestly?

They babysit for free. Consider this a trade off.

• PurpleCupcake
    October 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

It doesn't sound like an even trade off. 

If they babysit for free 5 days a week, I would consider that even. 

However, if it's any less than that...they would get a solid no from me. 

• KrissyKC
    October 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM

how expensive would buying extra stuff for her be?    Would you consider offering this..

In your shoes, to tell you the truth, I would just buy what I needed for her.   One, it's family... two, they are struggling and trying to raise their granddaughter.... three, it makes your life easier... four, they babysit for you occasionally for free.

• AutymsMommy
    October 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM

It would depend on how long the OP is schooling the other child. All day? Not a fair trade off. A few hours a day? Probably. We pay our sitter $10 an hour for one child; $15 an hour for all three children (and it would be more than that if it were for that our eldest is 12 and doesn't need a sitter, really) - which is the going rate. Consider what a teacher makes yearly, break it down by pupil, and I would argue that a few hours a day based on the going rate of child care provided free to the OP's child is, indeed, a fair trade.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• PurpleCupcake
    October 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

LOL.....OP...we need more info to conclude if this equation is equal to, greater than or less than! 

I agree Autymsmommy...more info is needed

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It would depend on how long the OP is schooling the other child. All day? Not a fair trade off. A few hours a day? Probably. We pay our sitter $10 an hour for one child; $15 an hour for all three children (and it would be more than that if it were for that our eldest is 12 and doesn't need a sitter, really) - which is the going rate. Consider what a teacher makes yearly, break it down by pupil, and I would argue that a few hours a day based on the going rate of child care provided free to the OP's child is, indeed, a fair trade.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• KrissyKC
    October 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM

oh, I didn't read the part about food.    Wow... that is a bit much.

I think you need to sit them down and say...  "Hey, I really appreciate being able to do this, and teaching them together makes it better for them both.   However, there are some things she is going to need and our family can't provide it all.

She will need such and such workbooks and supplies that go along with my own daughter's material or I cannot keep teaching her.   I priced it and can buy it for this much..  I can put in this much toward it to help with the costs, but I need some help covering it as well.   You'll need to provide me with $XX.XX so I can continue to teach her.    Also, I need you to chip in some food or food money.   You can decide if you want to send her packed lunches, send some specific supplies, or just chip in with cash... I can watch her and teach her for free, but I just can't provide for her on top of that.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    October 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    Yup...you need to speak up!
    Some is a trade off for child care hut food plus materials plus teaching just doesnt equate.

I had this issue with a friend of mine. She did pay me $100 a week but wanted that to cover food and snacks (for a 12 yo boy who was very large eater- easily twice what my kids ate per meal) and field trips in addition to my babysitting him and teaching him.

I finally had to tell her she either needed to supply groceries and admission for field trips or I would not be able to do it anymore. I never charged her gas since we would he going anyway. She finished out the year and then moved him to working at home alone all day -poor kid.
  • kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    Maybe you could ask if they could help buy some of the loose leaf paper or the pencils or erasers when they can? Just to offset the expense every now and then.
    How often do you need a babysitter? Is it every day?
  • abuckalew
    October 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    I se what your saying but honestly I have too many of my own mouths to feed and clothe. I'm.not trying to be ugly but she needs to tell her son to pay his CS instead if telling me that he can't pay cuz his wife wants to have 2 jobs and have him stay home with their dd.

(If I was able to work full time I would do it in a heart beat tho)

Quoting KrissyKC:

how expensive would buying extra stuff for her be?    Would you consider offering this..

In your shoes, to tell you the truth, I would just buy what I needed for her.   One, it's family... two, they are struggling and trying to raise their granddaughter.... three, it makes your life easier... four, they babysit for you occasionally for free.

• abuckalew
    October 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    I don't need a sitter very often. I will only be working about 3 days a week and I know most of my days will be weekends so she will only be watching my girls 1 day a week on average

Quoting kirbymom:

Maybe you could ask if they could help buy some of the loose leaf paper or the pencils or erasers when they can? Just to offset the expense every now and then.

How often do you need a babysitter? Is it every day?

Homeschooling Moms