Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Un Acceptable Subjects
October 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

Replies

• mrs.hartman12
    October 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    Quoting TidewaterClan:

We discuss everything: evolution and creationism, religions, cultural beliefs in different parts of the world, etc.  I tell them why evolution makes sense to me.  They're free to choose what they want since I wasn't around 13 billion years ago (my girls may argue differently!) to take a picture of the Big Bang. :)

pretty much this. Plus my 5 yo is learning where babies come from on a basic level since im a homebirther and she will be there for the birth. Ummm I wont teach abstinence only, I think thats it.
  • kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    Do you follow Hebrew precepts? In any way?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I won't teach literal young earth creationism. We do not consider it valid science. We are theistic evolutionists.

Quoting kirbymom:Both because I believe that we all teach from our own truths and we also teach from a general perspective.
    This has nothing whatsoever to do with public school teachings.

Quoting AutymsMommy:Teach as truth or general instruction?

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We discuss everything: evolution and creationism, religions, cultural beliefs in different parts of the world, etc.  I tell them why evolution makes sense to me.  They're free to choose what they want since I wasn't around 13 billion years ago (my girls may argue differently!) to take a picture of the Big Bang. :)

pretty much this. Plus my 5 yo is learning where babies come from on a basic level since im a homebirther and she will be there for the birth. Ummm I wont teach abstinence only, I think thats it.

I had a home birth once. By accident.
    I wanted to have the experience full on but was just too scared that something would go wrong. I even tried to prepare myself on my own. :)
  • AutymsMommy
    October 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM

We're Roman Catholic. The Church doesn't view creation timeline as a salvation issue and supports the view that God created everything and evolution plays a role in that creation.

Quoting kirbymom:

Do you follow Hebrew precepts? In any way?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I won't teach literal young earth creationism. We do not consider it valid science. We are theistic evolutionists.

Quoting kirbymom:Both because I believe that we all teach from our own truths and we also teach from a general perspective.

• debramommyof4
    October 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM

My children learn about everything.  They know I am a Christian.  I believe in evolution, but also creationism.  I believe God created us and that we have evolved and changed, along with the different animals, but have not changed from the kind of creature God first created.  I do believe that there was another kind of animal that could have mated with us, as there have been two proven kinds of humanoid creatures.  But I do think they died off.  I do believe dinosaurs and people were on the Earth at the same time.

But I give my children all that information, I also give them the information people believe that is different, that way they can make an informed choice in what they believe.  There is nothing that if they ask I will not answer.  SO I do not think there is a subject I would not teach.

They have a father who believes only what he can prove.

They have an aunt who is wiccan.

They have a grandma who is Hindu.

We have a friend who is Indian and believes in her ancestrial Gods.

I have had friends who are gay. 

So I will teach them what I believe and about whatever they ask about, but I explain why I believe I am right and let them chose.  At their young ages they all believe what I believe and I hope that continues but at the same time I want them to know as much as they can to choose for themselves.

• tuffymama
    October 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    I teach to expose or illuminate, not necessarily to indoctrinate, and I am not threatened by topics and cultural mores that don't jibe with my ideals. Besides, my goal in raising these people is to turn out independent, productive, sensible folks in the end. We don't live sequestered in a religious community (and trust me, I would be booted out in a split second if I did LOL), so I teach them to protect them, too. Sex, many alternative lifestyles, and the worst parts of history are not the favorite subjects for this God-fearing mama to teach, but I have done okay.
    I think my approach works well for my family; ODS is extremely knowledgeable about a wide array of subjects, and he's a good person. I was a teen mom, and I opted not to expose him to the PS sex ed program in the first round. I have always been open and honest with him regarding love, sex, and personal accountability, and I choose to teach that abstinence is best for physical and emotional health. So far, so good. He will be 21 this Christmas and he has always used perfect judgment in conducting his social life. DH and I have tattoos, we don't feel state-sanctioned "marriage" is necessarily the best definition of marriage, most of our friends are gay, we are fiscally conservative Independents, I don't necessarily think that swear words should always be off limits in conversation or music, but we do pray to God daily as a family. So we aren't the "typical" abstinence proponents, but teaching abstinence works. I would love for more parents to do it.
  • almondpigeon
    October 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

this.  our science books are very christian in nature and are creationism based.  i love the books other than that aspect and still use them....i just skip over the christian stuff.  

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I wouldn't teach Creationism. I would explain it, but not teach it. 

Just the same as someone who believes in creationism wouldn't teach evolution. 

To each his own . 

• TidewaterClan
    October 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    This is an awesome post Sonja. It went much deeper than I expected from last night. It's wonderful reading everyone's views (many of which are unique but extremely respectful).

Thanks for giving all of us the chance to state what we believe!
  • kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    Okay. At least I know where you are coming from. And can even understand your point of view.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We're Roman Catholic. The Church doesn't view creation timeline as a salvation issue and supports the view that God created everything and evolution plays a role in that creation.

Quoting kirbymom:Do you follow Hebrew precepts? In any way?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    October 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Most Christians teaching Creation concepts also teach the world's idea of evolution. So, they are well-versed on both sides of the issue. BTW, I would not accept Creation as science if it did not support scientific principles. People reject it, without really seriously considering it, because it requires belief in the God of the Bible. Of course if you take out that most significant assumption, the only theory which has a probability of making sense is evolution.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I wouldn't teach Creationism. I would explain it, but not teach it. 

Just the same as someone who believes in creationism wouldn't teach evolution. 

To each his own . 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN