Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Un Acceptable Subjects
October 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    October 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I wouldn't teach abstinence only.

I would teach abstinence along side birth control, safe sex practices, disease and pregnancy prevention in addition to what sex is, and freely answer questions such as "when it's the right time". And a thorough explanation of the human body and reproductive processes. 

Around here a lot of parents only want to teach abstinence...and nothing else. No facts or info. 

I feel doing so is dangerous. I would love to live in a fairy tale land where my daughter doesn't want to gave sex until she is 30 and married. But, the reality (in this current world) is that is unlikely to happen. 

I want my daughter to know everything just in case she is going to make that choice/mistake too early. At least she will be less likely to get AIDS or get pregnant. 

But...as of yet she us not allowed to date...and I don't plan on letting her date for a long time. And if she does date...it will not be alone. And she is not going to go spend the night with a boyfriend. 

In essence, teenagers make some really stupid decisions sometimes. I just want to reduce the chance of a stupid choice becoming a serious, life changing, huge, huge mistake. 

Quoting kirbymom:

I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.
    Why woldn't you teach abstinence?

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Oh. I wouldn't teach abstinence only sex ed. 

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    I really like the way you put your thoughts. And for the most part agree as well with a little difference here or there.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

First I will say I think one can teach both creationism and evolution. In some ways. I don't think we evolved from bacteria...but I do think we evolved from prehistoric people. And the world had to start somehow, even if it was the Big Bang, I believe a higher power somehow made that happen. What are the chances it just happened?!

Anyway...I suppose eventually I will teach my children about anything, but I won't teach them things (like someone mentioned, we will probably learn about witchcraft but we wouldn't actually practice it...just as we will learn more about Hannakuh, but we won't celebrate it in place of Christmas...we are learning about ancient gods and goddesses, but we won't practice those beliefs).

I also wouldn't teach things the way the schools do...history will be factual, not glorified the way it is (DS asked my parents last week if they knew who discovered America..when they said Columbus, he said "nah, he didn't cross the Siberian Land Bridge" lol)..I will not teach homosexuality as a viable lifestyle 'choice' and I won't encourage my kids to not procreate just because some elite think us peons shouldn't grow the population. If they don't want children, that's one thing. I won't teach them that men are morons and need a woman to take care of them, just as I wouldn't teach it the other way around. I will teach that it is more important for them to follow their heart than to follow the herd.

And there are plenty of topics we wouldn't cover at 10 and 11, that we may end up covering at 16 and 17.

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Okay. Gothchya now. That is where my hubby's and I's thought are too. We'd rather there be abstinence but realize kids will make those "decisions" in the spur of the moment. So, we choose to tell our kids about what we'd like and then teach them about the human body inside and out along with the reprocussions of the decisions made. Both positive and negative. I am so grateful that we did too. My almost 18 year old made the decision to abstain until she was ready to fully commit to a relationship 100% and because she didn't want to have to saddle us with the reprocussions of having made that choice. She decided that she wanted to be the one fully and completely 100% responsible if she happened to have gotten into trouble if she decided to have a full relationship. Such a mature and wise decision for one so young. We are so proud. I am so proud. Now if I can get all my other children to make such decisions! *fingers crossed*

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I would teach abstinence along side birth control, safe sex practices, disease and pregnancy prevention in addition to what sex is, and freely answer questions such as "when it's the right time". And a thorough explanation of the human body and reproductive processes. 

Around here a lot of parents only want to teach abstinence...and nothing else. No facts or info. 

I feel doing so is dangerous. I would love to live in a fairy tale land where my daughter doesn't want to gave sex until she is 30 and married. But, the reality (in this current world) is that is unlikely to happen. 

I want my daughter to know everything just in case she is going to make that choice/mistake too early. At least she will be less likely to get AIDS or get pregnant. 

But...as of yet she us not allowed to date...and I don't plan on letting her date for a long time. And if she does date...it will not be alone. And she is not going to go spend the night with a boyfriend. 

In essence, teenagers make some really stupid decisions sometimes. I just want to reduce the chance of a stupid choice becoming a serious, life changing, huge, huge mistake. 

Quoting kirbymom:I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• PurpleCupcake
    October 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Wow! clappingYou must have done something right! 

Right now my 13 year old is saying the same thing as your daughter and I hope it lasts. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Okay. Gothchya now. That is where my hubby's and I's thought are too. We'd rather there be abstinence but realize kids will make those "decisions" in the spur of the moment. So, we choose to tell our kids about what we'd like and then teach them about the human body inside and out along with the reprocussions of the decisions made. Both positive and negative. I am so grateful that we did too. My almost 18 year old made the decision to abstain until she was ready to fully commit to a relationship 100% and because she didn't want to have to saddle us with the reprocussions of having made that choice. She decided that she wanted to be the one fully and completely 100% responsible if she happened to have gotten into trouble if she decided to have a full relationship. Such a mature and wise decision for one so young. We are so proud. I am so proud. Now if I can get all my other children to make such decisions! *fingers crossed*

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting kirbymom:I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• TidewaterClan
    October 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

That's a great idea.  I'll use that here if you don't mind; they'd enjoy that and we'd all understand more (especially from the Creationism side) too. 

We're Old Earth Christians, but have researched New Earth and other religions too.  I want the girls to know what others believe so they can respect their choices, choose a different one if that feels right, but also because learning what else is out there has always strengthened what I believe and I hope the same goes for them.

Quoting kirbymom:

We teach from that same perspective. Only we don't believe in evolution. But we teach it anyway. We even have the older kids write research papers from both sides of the fence proving and disproving both sides.
    We also let our kids make their own choices of what to believe.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We discuss everything: evolution and creationism, religions, cultural beliefs in different parts of the world, etc.  I tell them why evolution makes sense to me.  They're free to choose what they want since I wasn't around 13 billion years ago (my girls may argue differently!) to take a picture of the Big Bang. :)

• TJandKarasMom
    October 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    I feel like I am finally coming into my own, and the 'likes' on my post definitely help me feel confident :). Yay for not being completely insane! ;)

Quoting kirbymom:

I really like the way you put your thoughts. And for the most part agree as well with a little difference here or there.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

First I will say I think one can teach both creationism and evolution. In some ways. I don't think we evolved from bacteria...but I do think we evolved from prehistoric people. And the world had to start somehow, even if it was the Big Bang, I believe a higher power somehow made that happen. What are the chances it just happened?!

Anyway...I suppose eventually I will teach my children about anything, but I won't teach them things (like someone mentioned, we will probably learn about witchcraft but we wouldn't actually practice it...just as we will learn more about Hannakuh, but we won't celebrate it in place of Christmas...we are learning about ancient gods and goddesses, but we won't practice those beliefs).

I also wouldn't teach things the way the schools do...history will be factual, not glorified the way it is (DS asked my parents last week if they knew who discovered America..when they said Columbus, he said "nah, he didn't cross the Siberian Land Bridge" lol)..I will not teach homosexuality as a viable lifestyle 'choice' and I won't encourage my kids to not procreate just because some elite think us peons shouldn't grow the population. If they don't want children, that's one thing. I won't teach them that men are morons and need a woman to take care of them, just as I wouldn't teach it the other way around. I will teach that it is more important for them to follow their heart than to follow the herd.

And there are plenty of topics we wouldn't cover at 10 and 11, that we may end up covering at 16 and 17.

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Thank you! This started when she was 10! She came and asked about periods and we told her what it was, how it affects the body and the mind and then the fact that having a period makes you a woman physically but not emtionally yet. We talked about her being abke to have sex and the types of diseases caused from sex. It ended up being about a 4 or 5 hour conversation.

Your daughter can do make it. If she has that determination and you keep open that door of open communication she do the same as my daughter. Abd lots of other girls too.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Wow! clappingYou must have done something right! 

Right now my 13 year old is saying the same thing as your daughter and I hope it lasts. 

Quoting kirbymom:Okay. Gothchya now. That is where my hubby's and I's thought are too. We'd rather there be abstinence but realize kids will make those "decisions" in the spur of the moment. So, we choose to tell our kids about what we'd like and then teach them about the human body inside and out along with the reprocussions of the decisions made. Both positive and negative. I am so grateful that we did too. My almost 18 year old made the decision to abstain until she was ready to fully commit to a relationship 100% and because she didn't want to have to saddle us with the reprocussions of having made that choice. She decided that she wanted to be the one fully and completely 100% responsible if she happened to have gotten into trouble if she decided to have a full relationship. Such a mature and wise decision for one so young. We are so proud. I am so proud. Now if I can get all my other children to make such decisions! *fingers crossed*

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

• AutymsMommy
    October 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I won't teach literal young earth creationism. We do not consider it valid science. We are theistic evolutionists.

Quoting kirbymom:

Both because I believe that we all teach from our own truths and we also teach from a general perspective.
    This has nothing whatsoever to do with public school teachings.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Teach as truth or general instruction?

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    By all means! I don't own it or anything. :)
    That type of lesson has helped our kids in s..ooo many ways and on s.oo many levels.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a great idea.  I'll use that here if you don't mind; they'd enjoy that and we'd all understand more (especially from the Creationism side) too. 

We're Old Earth Christians, but have researched New Earth and other religions too.  I want the girls to know what others believe so they can respect their choices, choose a different one if that feels right, but also because learning what else is out there has always strengthened what I believe and I hope the same goes for them.

Quoting kirbymom:We teach from that same perspective. Only we don't believe in evolution. But we teach it anyway. We even have the older kids write research papers from both sides of the fence proving and disproving both sides. We also let our kids make their own choices of what to believe.
    Quoting TidewaterClan:

We discuss everything: evolution and creationism, religions, cultural beliefs in different parts of the world, etc.  I tell them why evolution makes sense to me.  They're free to choose what they want since I wasn't around 13 billion years ago (my girls may argue differently!) to take a picture of the Big Bang. :)

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Lol - You definitely have some good advice and some great ideas! :)
    Who says being insane is bad!? That could be why we homeschoolers have such a great track record! lol

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I feel like I am finally coming into my own, and the 'likes' on my post definitely help me feel confident :). Yay for not being completely insane! ;)

Quoting kirbymom:I really like the way you put your thoughts. And for the most part agree as well with a little difference here or there.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:First I will say I think one can teach both creationism and evolution. In some ways. I don't think we evolved from bacteria...but I do think we evolved from prehistoric people. And the world had to start somehow, even if it was the Big Bang, I believe a higher power somehow made that happen. What are the chances it just happened?!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts