Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Un Acceptable Subjects
October 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    October 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I agree introducing both perspectives is important. At some point in thier lives they are going to run into people who have the opposite belief than what they were mainly taught. 

And it's important for them to know why the other side believes what they do. 

Quoting KrissyKC:

Yes... I'm just the opposite, we are constantly comparing the two, which means explaining and sorta introducing both.   However, we "teach" more about what the Bible says.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I wouldn't teach Creationism. I would explain it, but not teach it. 

Just the same as someone who believes in creationism wouldn't teach evolution. 

To each his own . 

• PurpleCupcake
    October 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I don't teach from a biblical point of view....but I so agree with teaching "differently" than the public school. 

I remember learning history in school....and then learning in college. Boy the two were different. I felt so cheated by half-truths and down right lies in public school. 

Quoting lucsch:

This question is a bit too open ended for me. If you are asking if there are subjects taught in public school which I will teach differently, the answer is, "Yes." I will always teach all subjects from a Biblical worldview. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Hm, I haven't really ran across anything yet. Interesting topic, though. What wouldn't I teach? hmmmmm 

• No_Difference
    October 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I tend to stay clear of creationism.  We have graced over it, but for the most part, I tend to buy curriculum that doesn't even mention it so it doesn't come up. I prefer having religion and school entirely separated. (this is actually proving to be quite difficult this week for me as I'm looking into different history and science curriculum)

• bluerooffarm
    October 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I can't really think of anything I wouldn't teach.  Also, if they ask about it I answer their questions, so I kind of allow them to determine when they are "ready" for certain topics.  Example: My oldest has asked a lot of questions about reproduction/puberty lately and I have gotten a lot of flak for teaching some things to an 8yo boy, but if he asks I tell him the truth.  Also I think having farm animals brings up those questions earlier than people who do not have intact animals around.  My kids have seen sex and birth from a very young age.

• collinsmommy0
    October 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    Creationism and religion in general. We are atheists. I have no problem teaching the history of religion or teaching my child what others believe in (& letting him decide for himself if he wants to learn more about any religion) but the bible or religion will not be an integral part of our curriculum.
  • Mandallyn
    October 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    My mom has told me the stuff she learned that blew her mind and I find it crazy the ways the truth is twisted and taught to our children.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I don't teach from a biblical point of view....but I so agree with teaching "differently" than the public school. 

I remember learning history in school....and then learning in college. Boy the two were different. I felt so cheated by half-truths and down right lies in public school. 

Quoting lucsch:

This question is a bit too open ended for me. If you are asking if there are subjects taught in public school which I will teach differently, the answer is, "Yes." I will always teach all subjects from a Biblical worldview. 

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    Both because I believe that we all teach from our own truths and we also teach from a general perspective.
    This has nothing whatsoever to do with public school teachings.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Teach as truth or general instruction?

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.
    Why woldn't you teach abstinence?

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Oh. I wouldn't teach abstinence only sex ed. 

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    We teach from that same perspective. Only we don't believe in evolution. But we teach it anyway. We even have the older kids write research papers from both sides of the fence proving and disproving both sides.
    We also let our kids make their own choices of what to believe.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We discuss everything: evolution and creationism, religions, cultural beliefs in different parts of the world, etc.  I tell them why evolution makes sense to me.  They're free to choose what they want since I wasn't around 13 billion years ago (my girls may argue differently!) to take a picture of the Big Bang. :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts