Homeschooling Moms

SusanTheWriter
I don't understand :( UPDATE in original post
October 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

DD took her SATs earlier this month. We were psyched. We didn't pressure her, but based on her PSAT, as well as the casual practice tests she took, we were looking forward to something really positive.

Her scores came back yesterday and...we're both so disappointed. I mean, her Math score is actually below the national average. Her Reading and Writing scores weren't bad, but certainly not outstanding.

Honestly, I'm kind of crushed. I know she is, too. I mean, if her scores are going to look like this, I'm wondering if she's really capable of going for that dream career, which is very math intensive.

I can't even begin to imagine what went wrong.

She wants to give it another shot in March, and I think it did shock her into realizing that spending time preparing more diligently will be in her best interest.

UPDATE: Well, all her testing is over for the fall. She seemed upbeat heading in *and* coming out of her ACTs today, so we'll see how far a positive attitude takes her. :)  Thanks for all the support and well-wishes!

Replies

• Silverkitty
    October 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I don't put a lot of stock in a test as to where her dream job should be.  The realization that the test is more demanding is a good thing and should help her for March and for her future endeavors.

• hipmomto3
    October 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Oh that is hard. :( Some people just really don't test well, despite being highly intelligent. My best friend is this way. She only scored 1010 on her SATs, yet today is a very successful scientist for a huge pharma company. 

Is she also taking ACT? I remember from my high school days (eons ago) that ACT was supposed to be a better indicator for those with  more math/science mindedness.

• debramommyof4
    October 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I think now she will do better then.  Now she has a better idea what is going to be on it and how it is going to happen.

• SusanTheWriter
    October 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

It's just odd because both of my kids have always blown the lid off those yearly state tests.

But yes, she's taking the ACT tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Quoting hipmomto3:

Oh that is hard. :( Some people just really don't test well, despite being highly intelligent. My best friend is this way. She only scored 1010 on her SATs, yet today is a very successful scientist for a huge pharma company. 

Is she also taking ACT? I remember from my high school days (eons ago) that ACT was supposed to be a better indicator for those with  more math/science mindedness.

• bluerooffarm
    October 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Awww.  I'm so sorry.  She's got another shot at it and hopefully she'll work her prep-work and improve her score. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • mem82
    by mem82
    October 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM

aw, I'm sorry! I don't really know much about those tests so I'm not really any help.

• kirbymom
    October 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Oh sweety....I'm sure its not as gloomy as it msy first appear. Maybe your daughter taking the test over again will help her to take the test with more confidence and have an insight to how the test is laid out and what to expect. Tests do not always show the truth of how much a person knows. I have a high IQ but fail most tests. But if you give me a verbal test, I shall do great.
  • DyslexiaParent
    October 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

There's a good chance she'll do better on the next attempt at the SAT and on the ACT tomorrow.  The majority of kids do better on a re-take and sometimes a kid just has a bad day.. It's just one test on one  day and not the total picture of her abilities.  Hope she does better on the upcoming tests!! GOOD LUCK to your DD!

• Chasing3
    October 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM

everything I've ever heard is kids should take the SATs many times. I went to a private boarding school for high school in the 80s and the had us take it 4 or 5 times. And they had us take an SAT prep course. It's kind of all about how to beat the test, not your real smarts.

And yes, a lot of good colleges don't even require the test scores. But, I guess I kinda figured as a homeschooler without an transcript from a traditional school, the SAT or ACT would carry more weight and be a little more necessary -- maybe?

The other thing you can do, have her take some college courses on-line. If she can get an A in those, that will mean the most to other colleges!

Homeschooling Moms