Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Dawn07
Homeschooling confirmation on a cereal box.
by Dawn07
October 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Mobile Photo

This was on my cereal box this morning. Maybe I'm still half asleep but that first sentence just confirms my decision once again.

Replies

• coala
    by coala
    October 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Wow!! Way to solidfy your decision first thing in the am.  LOL

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    October 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    I can't get over that it's on a cereal box lol.

Quoting coala:

Wow!! Way to solidfy your decision first thing in the am.  LOL

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Ow! My head...

• paganbaby
    October 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Nice...

• Analugojana
    October 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    They spend a huge amount on crap, that's the problem.
  • KickButtMama
    October 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Icky

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM

That is because most schools care more about the sports teams & test scores then actual knowledge!

• SusanTheWriter
    October 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM

School libraries are drastically underfunded, and either being closed or only staffed part time. They don't have a line in the budget for new books, so those often come from fundraisers like Scholastic Book Fairs, where the library gets a percentage of the monies spent by the students, and can order books with that. But only from Scholastic, which still leaves a large gap.

At least on the middle and high school levels, kids who have a great English teacher also get the benefit of using the teacher's classroom library. DD would frequently get books from her teacher, which helped them build a rapport.

But this is sadly not a new problem. Money gets poured into underperforming schools, but the ones that are doing well aren't necessarily benefitting from those funds - and those funds are often allocated for specific programs that don't include stocking school libraries. Once again, teachers who are highly invested in their students dip into their personal bank accounts to give their kids the literature-rich environment they need to thrive.

Sorry for the soapbox, but school libraries are a pet project of mine.

• kirbymom
    October 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Wait a minute! Wait wait wait just a danggone minute! I'm confused. If HALF the states are spending less this year(2013) than last year(2012), what happened to all the funds that each state was supposed to get for implementing CC compliancy?
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    October 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Makes you wonder huh?

Quoting kirbymom:

Wait a minute! Wait wait wait just a danggone minute! I'm confused. If HALF the states are spending less this year(2013) than last year(2012), what happened to all the funds that each state was supposed to get for implementing CC compliancy?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts