Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Dorra
What should a child know
by Dorra
October 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM
What should a child know by the end of the school year ?? Due yo a lot of issues I feel we are behind.

I have a1st grader and one in Kindergarten.

Are there websites that I can go to to make sure they are on track??

Thank you!!!

Replies

• irvinehiker
    October 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    Rock just gave you an excellent resource that I have used for years. Also google "world book grade standards." That will give a starting point.
  • Dorra
    by Dorra
    October 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Thank you. I will be looking at that today.

Quoting RockEducation:

Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp. This gives excellent guidelines for each grade.

• romacox
    by romacox
    October 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • Dorra
    by Dorra
    October 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    Thank you!

Quoting romacox:

Yes, Grade Level Requirements

• paganbaby
    October 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Eh, I don't keep track of things like that. They learn as much as they can. Knowing they're ahead or behind according to someone else's standards doesn't do anything for me.

• somuchlove4U
    October 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    Same here.

Quoting paganbaby:

Eh, I don't keep track of things like that. They learn as much as they can. Knowing they're ahead or behind according to someone else's standards doesn't do anything for me.

• PurpleCupcake
    October 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Have you looked at your state's website? Usually they will have a basic guide. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    October 26, 2013 at 6:36 AM

That is exactly what the article, "Grade Level Requirements", says.  It gives the P.S. expectations, and warns that, because each child is unique, such expectations can do more harm than good. 

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Same here.

Quoting paganbaby:

• almondpigeon
    October 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM

i'm constantly terrified that my 2nd grader is behind.   then she'll say or do something that assures me we are on track, lol.  recently, i heard her explain to her 5th grade cousin (who attends public school) the difference between a monocot and dicot.  

i've found a lot of sites that will help you figure out whether they are where they need to be.  i usually just google.  

• Momof697
    October 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM

There is a book called what your child needs to know in ____ grade. They have different books for each grade.  At this point in their schooling they are not behind because they learn more from playing than doing school. If you are not having fun they will not like school. For those ages school should be fun they should be learning with out knowing they are. Playing games (candy land, go fish, uno, among others all teach valuable lessons that are easier to learn playing than in a book.  My friend told me to use duct tape on the floor do different shapes and sizes of the shapes and ten play like simon says. Simon says go to a small square, go to a big circle." etc      She also told me to put a little flour or corn meal in a dish with a cover and let them "write" in it.  I did this with a boy I was babysitting not too long ago and he loved it. then he used it to make roads for his match box cars. when he was I put the lid on for the next time he came over. 

I have 6 kids % have only been HSed and the youngest is 8 and in 3rd grade.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN