mem82
What was your favorite school memory?
by mem82
October 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Tell us about it!

Replies

• TidewaterClan
    October 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Krissy,  I'm so sorry about all of this. That had to be hell all the way around.  You have wonderful insight on parenting & schooling, and I have the greatest respect for you in being able to overcome your past.   

Quoting KrissyKC:

I don't remember very many positive memories.    I was about two heads taller than the other kids and much more solid than they were.   I was also uncoordinated and I was book smart, but slow on the draw with other stuff.   My parents were poor, but always lived on the edge of the "money" towns.   I had a lot of thrift store clothes and Kmart clothes and never had my hair done at a salon when the other girls were getting their nails done too.

My parents moved us often, and they abused me at home verbally, mentally,  and occasionally it went to physical.   Because of this, I was even more emotional, angry, and needy.

I was everyone's target and school was HELL... 

• TidewaterClan
    October 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Sorry you went through that cruelty No_D.  That's a shame those people didn't realize what a gift they had in your kind heart and sweet personality.

Quoting No_Difference:

The only "good" memories of school I have are in high school, except my senior year...which was a joke anyway. I needed 1/4 english credit to graduate so I graduated early...
    Anything related to band - marching at Disney, marching band, and Pep band.
    My Honors Alg 2 class, especially during the "time of the Sir" who was a student teacher while the regular teacher, who was also a great teacher, was out on maternity leave.
    School in general just sucked on a social stand point otherwise.... I was picked on from K-8 for really stupid reasons that were beyond my control. Freshmen and Sophmore year I had finally mad a bunch of friends who I thought were actually friends, but found out the end of my Junior year I was wrong, and still had no friends and went back to being the laughing stock again and instead of being bullied, was just flat out ignored. I honestly don't know which was worse.

• TidewaterClan
    October 25, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I was truly blessed in school and had some wonderful teachers.  My Latin teacher was caring and made her class incredibly fun.  During study hall I worked as a secretary for the two PE teachers; they boosted my confidence and taught me how to have a strong handshake.  My chemistry teacher was the one person who nagged me during my Junior year.  I got a low C on a test because I'd just given up trying.  She looked me straight in the eyes and told me she knew I could do better.  Knowing one person believed in me helped me turn around all of my grades from then on.

• No_Difference
    October 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Thank you :) I lived through it though. The only negative effect it really ended up having on me is I don't go out of my way to meet new people, and I have a really hard time trusting people. I also have no intention of moving "back home" if I can ever help it. Being 13 hours away from that is comforting lol.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Sorry you went through that cruelty No_D.  That's a shame those people didn't realize what a gift they had in your kind heart and sweet personality.

Quoting No_Difference:

The only "good" memories of school I have are in high school, except my senior year...which was a joke anyway. I needed 1/4 english credit to graduate so I graduated early...
    My Honors Alg 2 class, especially during the "time of the Sir" who was a student teacher while the regular teacher, who was also a great teacher, was out on maternity leave.
    School in general just sucked on a social stand point otherwise.... I was picked on from K-8 for really stupid reasons that were beyond my control. Freshmen and Sophmore year I had finally mad a bunch of friends who I thought were actually friends, but found out the end of my Junior year I was wrong, and still had no friends and went back to being the laughing stock again and instead of being bullied, was just flat out ignored. I honestly don't know which was worse.

• TidewaterClan
    October 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    13 hours sounds like a good plan! It would be hard to trust folks again. You always show a great deal of patience and caring in your posts, though, and anyone would be blessed to have you for a friend.

Did you really enjoy band? There's an hs band here. I didn't want to overwhelm my older daughter since it's our first hs year, but it sounds like a good fun group.

Quoting No_Difference:

Thank you :) I lived through it though. The only negative effect it really ended up having on me is I don't go out of my way to meet new people, and I have a really hard time trusting people. I also have no intention of moving "back home" if I can ever help it. Being 13 hours away from that is comforting lol.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting No_Difference:

• MeAndTommyLee
    October 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    Graduating HS. I scored As and Bs throughout, never failed a class or went to summer school, but I actally hated school with a passion.
  • tuffymama
    October 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    My favorite school memories are making my first real school friend in third grade (and she moved away at the semester break! *sigh*), and cutting class in high school. Sorry. School majorly sucked and the best part of it was avoiding it altogether.
  • No_Difference
    October 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Thank you :)

I did really enjoy band. With my high school, marching band was required to be in band. We had summer practices to learn our squads and to "learn to march" properly. My bad directors were all prior military and he would honestly come up to us with a ruler to make sure our feet were so high off the ground, and with a protractor to make sure our knees were bent at ... I want to say 33 degrees... It paid off though, and our band was able to march at Disney and a few other places, which we were only alloud to audition for it once every four years.

We had pit and which we had to audition for, but if we made the cut, we played with the orchestra for concerts, and for the school's plays. We had pep band, which everyone could do and we played at home basketball games and wrestling matches.

My highschool had three bands, Freshman, Concert, and Symphonic, over 300 kids in band in all. After freshman year you were automatically in Concert band and had to audition for Symphonic, and I made it my sophmore year and stayed in it. I also had no real experience playing my instrument (clarinet) prior to Freshman year either so I was really excited making it into Sympho. The director was strict, and expected perfection, but would also award us on days we did really well with doughnuts lol. He would also make "deals" with us. "If we have to start this over one more times, I'll bring in doughnuts." Of course who ever the soloist was wouldn't play so we'd get snacks lol.

Quote:

TidewaterClan:
    13 hours sounds like a good plan! It would be hard to trust folks again. You always show a great deal of patience and caring in your posts, though, and anyone would be blessed to have you for a friend. Did you really enjoy band? There's an hs band here. I didn't want to overwhelm my older daughter since it's our first hs year, but it sounds like a good fun group.

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting No_Difference:

• katzmeow726
    October 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Band days ;-D

My last state comp, I'm on the bottom right with the flute

Me and hubby while we were dating, at band banquet

Goofing off

And we Marched in the Macy's parade!  My parents and I on the way to the statue of liberty.  Best band trip EVER

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN