Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kmath
Thinking about next year
by kmath
October 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I know what I am doing for math, ancient history, english and spelling next year.  (At least I am pretty confident on those)  That just leaves science, geography, social studies, american history and handwriting.    I am starting early on research so I can buy bits and pieces at a time and not worry about going broke buying curriculum.   DS will be in 3rd grade and we went pretty lite on most of those this year.   My only real requirement is no religious curriculum.  I am mostly wondering about Science, American History and Handwriting.  If you have recommendations for the other two I am all ears, but they are lower on my list of priorities right now.

Anyone use R.E.A.L. science?  I thought it looked pretty interesting, but not sure how much extra stuff we would need to buy to go with it.

What about Handwriting Without Tears?  I wouldn't mind having him start cursive, as he started learning in PreK and still remembers some of it.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated!

Replies

• ablackdolphin
    October 23, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    Love love live handwriting without tears!!!! My dd cannot sit still and Zi was so worried about this subject turns out it is her favorite lots of variety and lots of fun!!
  • ablackdolphin
    October 23, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    I have real science for kids and although the books are cute i actually like apologia better. I do not hs for any religious reasons etc but the religion stuff is easily skipped over
  • kmath
    by kmath
    October 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Awesome, that is really good to know.  DS can't stand handwriting so I want something fun for him.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Love love live handwriting without tears!!!! My dd cannot sit still and Zi was so worried about this subject turns out it is her favorite lots of variety and lots of fun!!

• AutymsMommy
    October 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Any particular reason why you want to do ancients, american history, social studies and geography in the same year? Not slamming at all - just seems like a lot on YOUR plate, lol.

Geography... hmm... I'm not sure if his age will work with it, but Mapping the World With Art (Ellen McHenry).

Science, same. Ellen McHenry. Her stuff is sincerely amazing. Scientist hubby is impressed :) Each unit takes 10-15 weeks, so you can do more than one in a year. Affordable. PDF or actual book available. Hands on, nice to read, fun, and presents very advanced topics/material in such a fun and accessible manner that they are reachable for even elementary students.

I'm not sure about American history at his age. We use Catholic materials for most of history (and for handwriting).

I'll second pp's suggestion of HWOT though, even if I haven't used it, I've heard it's great!

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Not really sure I will do ALL of them, just thought I would get suggestions for them and then decide what to do from there.  I know we are doing Ancients because we won't finish it this year, but I doubt we will have a full year with it next year so we might start something new when we finish it. 

I will look into the Ellen McHenry science, that sounds just about right for us.  Thanks!

Yeah, I keep hearing great things about HWOT, so I am pretty sure that is what I will go with.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Any particular reason why you want to do ancients, american history, social studies and geography in the same year? Not slamming at all - just seems like a lot on YOUR plate, lol.

Geography... hmm... I'm not sure if his age will work with it, but Mapping the World With Art (Ellen McHenry).

Science, same. Ellen McHenry. Her stuff is sincerely amazing. Scientist hubby is impressed :) Each unit takes 10-15 weeks, so you can do more than one in a year. Affordable. PDF or actual book available. Hands on, nice to read, fun, and presents very advanced topics/material in such a fun and accessible manner that they are reachable for even elementary students.

I'm not sure about American history at his age. We use Catholic materials for most of history (and for handwriting).

I'll second pp's suggestion of HWOT though, even if I haven't used it, I've heard it's great!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    October 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Science: We use online curriculum through simple homeschooling website, and interesting books. My boys love it. This year we are concentrating on physics. We enjoy occasionally using science odyssey especially for the younger years. History: I am very picky about history. US history this year we are building a 9 by 6 foot US map, studying Lewis and Clark. I prefer living books and biographies for history. we reading Lewis and Clark for kids and the Caption's Dog book as well. Both are excellent. Geography we are the trail guide to US Geography. I highly recommend it. We just started it and my sons really enjoy it. I love the map work. It only does a little at a time so it is much easier to learn. I also love the geography through art book as well. Our handwriting is worked into our subjects as they write. Cursive is practiced a few times per week. I plan on starting to use dry erase markers for cursive. I don't stress handwriting as long as I can read it and they are doing their best.
  • AutymsMommy
    October 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Thank God. You almost gave me a panic attack FOR YOU, lol.

I'm fairly rigorous, but there's no way I could pull all that off without coffee all day, prescription anxiety meds, and alcohol for bed time.

Quoting kmath:

Not really sure I will do ALL of them, just thought I would get suggestions for them and then decide what to do from there.  I know we are doing Ancients because we won't finish it this year, but I doubt we will have a full year with it next year so we might start something new when we finish it. 

I will look into the Ellen McHenry science, that sounds just about right for us.  Thanks!

Yeah, I keep hearing great things about HWOT, so I am pretty sure that is what I will go with.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

LOL, yeah, I am not that good!  I would never be able to get it ALL done.  Just not sure what I want to do next year so getting suggestions for all of it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Thank God. You almost gave me a panic attack FOR YOU, lol.

I'm fairly rigorous, but there's no way I could pull all that off without coffee all day, prescription anxiety meds, and alcohol for bed time.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I am not the greatest at pulling stuff together so living books are great as a supplement, but I need a core that I can base everything off of.  I'll look at the Geography you suggested, DS loves the map work we do with our Ancient History this year so he might like that. I was doing handwriting just in the other subjects this year, but his is atrocious!  So I want to really work on it next year.  We concentrated on typing this year and he has gotten really good at it, but next year we need to get back to handwriting.

Quoting jen2150:

Science: We use online curriculum through simple homeschooling website, and interesting books. My boys love it. This year we are concentrating on physics. We enjoy occasionally using science odyssey especially for the younger years. History: I am very picky about history. US history this year we are building a 9 by 6 foot US map, studying Lewis and Clark. I prefer living books and biographies for history. we reading Lewis and Clark for kids and the Caption's Dog book as well. Both are excellent. Geography we are the trail guide to US Geography. I highly recommend it. We just started it and my sons really enjoy it. I love the map work. It only does a little at a time so it is much easier to learn. I also love the geography through art book as well. Our handwriting is worked into our subjects as they write. Cursive is practiced a few times per week. I plan on starting to use dry erase markers for cursive. I don't stress handwriting as long as I can read it and they are doing their best.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM

We have really enjoyed the American History Books, The History of Us.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts