Homeschooling Moms

badaskmom
What is your take on nutrition?
October 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I have noticed a lot since I started homeschooling my daughter over the past 2 years. When my daughter was in school I had her eating "healthy" and her last year changed her diet into veg diet. I read studies that said it was the best diet and the healthiest as possible. 

When we started really homeschooling her diet changed, became more relax. Now she is striving in every way, her lessons and her activity level. She was always active but now it seems to be on a different level. She is also picking up her lessons a lot quicker. 

I wanted to know if anyone else has notice any type of change. I would think other homeschoolers like ourselves would noticed this kind of difference. 

Below is a link that leads to a book called Food Ninjas. Its a great book and I believe it explains a lot. I really wanted to know. I am trying to show my friend whose children goes to school who are on a "healthy" diet, that maybe it does make a difference. That a combination of things tribute to educating our children. 

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Ninjas-Eating-Machines-ebook/dp/B00FNXK8SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382404980&sr=8-1&keywords=food+ninjas+how+to+raise+kids+to+be+lean+mean+eating+machines

Replies

• badaskmom
    October 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM

BUMP!

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    So what diet does she do now? You said you relaxed?
  • kirbymom
    October 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    What all are you doing different?
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I believe it! If all you eat is processed junk your body & brain do not develop or work right but if you eat nutritious & healthy foods they will!

• fairymom82
    October 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Now that my kids eat healthy with homeschooling and are allowed to follow their natural eating rhythms they are much more focused and we have less temper issues. When they came home from public school their blood sugar was so low that they were moody and combative. Now that they can snack and graze we see higher test scores, less fights between brothers and a generally happier kid. 

• badaskmom
    October 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

That is just it. She can eat whatever she likes whenever she likes. She hasn't gained one lb and her ped said she is healthy with no cavieties. She eats anything and I mean anything, whatever she wants. People think Im nuts, but there kids are always asking for candy at the store and soda when they are around it, but my daughter isn't. Halloween as no effect because she can have candy anytime she wants it. She just wants to dress up. I started noticed that last year. This week she has been on a fruit and juice kick, and on her birthday she asked for chicken and corn to be served. 

It started with I got overwhemed with homeschooling. Not knowing what to do or lessons. My daughter is also ese. So I didn't have time to "control" her diet. It was easier to go by what she wanted to give me more time  with her lessons. 

I want to post a picture to show how fit, but I am not sure how safe it is to post pics. 

• coala
    by coala
    October 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM

My kids eat pretty healthy, but I have athletes.  Their diet and nutrition on top priority here as well as sleep.  I am a little more relaxed with their intake on the weekends.  I try to make sure they eat at least one balanced meal on Saturday and Sunday the rest of it is kind of as it comes.  We are at the skating rink for the better part of the day on Saturday and half the day on Sunday, so it is a little more complicated to eat decent food then.  I have noticed that with the changes we have made to our diets that my children are focused better and I have one that is maintaing a good weight (actually lost 3 - 5 lbs in the last 18 mos) and one that is gaining (thank my lucky stars - 3 lbs since June).  My kids are healthy and get lots of activity in.  We have gone to a limited meat diet with an increase in fruits and veggies.  My only problem is that my 5 yo starts to SCREAM that she is hungry the very second we walk through the doors at the skating rink.  She could have finished eating 10 mins before, but she is STARVING when we walk in.  I don't get it.  I need to start packing a snack for her on Tuesdays since she eats by 5 and is done skating by 7...with her sister skating from 7-9.  I am going to have to figure it out.  LOL

• badaskmom
    October 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    Maybe since she is younger in age she loses more energy when she skates and needs more food. I would bring crackers to the rink and see if that helps. I love little athletes. My daughter is in swim classes and she is going to take gym. She also wants to do baseball and soccer, lol. Very active. lol. When my nephews play baseball you just see how much fun and the passion behind the sport. Professional baseball isn't like that. :( I always hope kids would keep that passion, and never look at the price tag there getting.
  • paganbaby
    October 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Bump!

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    October 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    My daughter is super thin and has a big appetite as well, she is 8.5. But she eats way healthier now that she is homeschooled.

Homeschooling Moms