Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ablackdolphin
Jury Duty :-
October 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I know evry state is different but I just wanted to see if anyone has ever had a problem getting out of Jury Duty when having the valid excuse of homeschooling or being a stay at home mom?

Yep, as you can tell I got a summons today.  Don't even get me started.....

But, I've already downloaded a copy of a recent bill that was ammended to allow for exemption for primary care providers for kids under 6, which I am.

Still annoying because I'm sure they'll only defer it and not give a permanent exemption so I'll probably be sending letters year after year!

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    October 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    Homeschooling is not a valid excuse here. I had to hqve my.pqrents vome watch the kids when I got called. Luckily, though I was in the case pool, the guy chickened out and plead guilty so I only went 3 days.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I have gotten them before & I have always been able to use the exemption of having young children that can not be left unattended. I have never had any problems with it!

• Beachmama34
    October 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I have used it twice because my little was under 6 with no problem.  we are in GA.

• KrissyKC
    October 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Here in Missouri parenting is not an excuse.   A woman in Lees Summit, MO took a stand about it and brought her breastfed baby in with her after asking to be excused because the baby ONLY breastfeeds and doesn't take bottles.  

They denied her request and she brought the baby to court because she felt she didn't have any options.  He wasn't taking bottles.   They kicked her out of court and held her in contempt.   She faces up to $500 fines and possible jail time.

• kirbymom
    October 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    Never been summoned before.
  • paganbaby
    October 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I don't have a car so I just tell them I have no way of getting down there unless they want to send me a bus pass.

• paganbaby
    October 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I read about that!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Here in Missouri parenting is not an excuse.   A woman in Lees Summit, MO took a stand about it and brought her breastfed baby in with her after asking to be excused because the baby ONLY breastfeeds and doesn't take bottles.  

They denied her request and she brought the baby to court because she felt she didn't have any options.  He wasn't taking bottles.   They kicked her out of court and held her in contempt.   She faces up to $500 fines and possible jail time.

• monkeybunns
    October 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    I have no idea here and no idea how to find out but I'm always scared to death they'll summon me and I don't know how I can since I'll likely be in preterm labor soon then have a breastfeeding newborn and my husband will be gone a big chunk out of next year while he's doing experiments with grad school. He gets no time off at all (absolutely no vacation) and he can't get out if traveling-he may even be gone when our baby is born. We have no family here and I don't have friends that could watch my kids all day for a day or several while I'm in jury duty and we can't afford a sitter.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    October 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Here you can be excused for a child under 6.  I got called this past summer but explained about my job and my son and they deferred it.  I was supposed to be called again in Sept but it didn't happen.  Not sure what I am going to do if I get called during the school year.  I don't have anyone to watch DS and I don't think homeschooling is a valid excuse here.

• hipmomto3
    October 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I also just got a summons a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea if homeschooling is a legal excuse or not, but I'm not sure I think it should be, in any case (or breastfeeding or transportation for that matter). Women want to be treated as equals, yet want an "out" when it comes to performing a civic duty. 

Hopefully I won't be called because of something in my family's past (which makes it very difficult for me to be impartial), but if I am, I'll have to make arrangements for my children, probably to stay with a friend during the day while I go. It will be a huge pain, though. I think only retirees should be called to jury duty. :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts