Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
xomrs.chase
my parents....
October 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Are awesome.

They weren't as into the idea of homeschooling when I first brought it up, but after talking to them in depth about the possibilities for ds, they agree that it's his best chance at a well-rounded education. They put a lot of money into my sister's private high school, and while she got a nice scholarship, they feel she wasn't able to get to her full potential until college.

Today, my mother said, "when he's in grade school, we want to give you up to $1000 a year for his homeschool supplies."

O.O uhhhh wow! Thanks!! I am over the moon about this! College text books and science equiptment will now be possible in middle/ high school! (Depending on his level- obv)

My question: would I even need to spend that much before middle school?

Replies

• DyslexiaParent
    October 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM

It's all dependent upon how you want to homeschool and what curricula you'd like to use.  There are plenty of free options, so you don't have to spend a thing.. Or you can buy pre-packaged, full grade level programs.  I tend not to like those because one of the great aspects of homeschooling is the ability to have your child work at his own pace with each subject.  If he's advanced in one subject (say math), then you could work one, two, three.. grade levels ahead of his chronological grade.  Buying a whole package boxes your child into the same grade level for everything.  If he's struggling with one topic a grade-level program might be too tough, and he could be held back in subjects he could excel with.  But yeah.. it all depends on what you decide to do.  Great gift though!!  You can feel comfortable to do what your guy needs without stressing over cost.

• xomrs.chase
    October 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    (To your last sentence) absolutely!

I don't want to do a box. Dh has a ton of history/ anthropology/ mythology books, I have psychology/ sociology, and my dad has things like calculus and mechanics.

Places I plan to spend money:
    Craft/ art supplies
    Field trips
    Science books and equipment
    Language programs ( my French is rusty- I want to introduce Latin as well)

Aaaaand idk! Hahaha!

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

It's all dependent upon how you want to homeschool and what curricula you'd like to use.  There are plenty of free options, so you don't have to spend a thing.. Or you can buy pre-packaged, full grade level programs.  I tend not to like those because one of the great aspects of homeschooling is the ability to have your child work at his own pace with each subject.  If he's advanced in one subject (say math), then you could work one, two, three.. grade levels ahead of his chronological grade.  Buying a whole package boxes your child into the same grade level for everything.  If he's struggling with one topic a grade-level program might be too tough, and he could be held back in subjects he could excel with.  But yeah.. it all depends on what you decide to do.  Great gift though!!  You can feel comfortable to do what your guy needs without stressing over cost.

• KrissyKC
    October 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Have you considered putting some of it toward memberships to educational places?   A local science center, children's museum, etc?

Plus, there are actually classes at the community college for kids.... not just teens, but actual kids... here.   They teach cooking, robotics, languages, etc...

• xomrs.chase
    October 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    Our library has passes to a few places (free!). The big museums are 2 hours away :-/ a membership may not be worth it- but I would put it towards field trips to those museums! Museum of science, children's museum, art museum, and aquarium. (All in Boston)

I will (hopefully) use it for dues if ds qualifies for mensa. That won't be for a few years, though. (Not trying to sound cocky.. or like im bragging.. :-/)

I'll look into our local community college- thanks! :)

Quoting KrissyKC:

Have you considered putting some of it toward memberships to educational places?   A local science center, children's museum, etc?

Plus, there are actually classes at the community college for kids.... not just teens, but actual kids... here.   They teach cooking, robotics, languages, etc...

• KrissyKC
    October 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Oh, and I'm sufficiently jealous of having parents like that.   LOL!   Mine cut everyone out of their lives and refuse to speak to or see us.   They've never seen either of my youngest two and probably don't even know the 16 month old exists.

Be thankful for your folks.   Even the tough times, be so very thankful.

• AutymsMommy
    October 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM

You COULD spend that much for the elementary years - or you could spend half that for those years and set the rest aside for high school... high school, if you outsource any classes or join some more intensive co-ops or take online courses, can run every bit OVER 1k.

• xomrs.chase
    October 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    I am.

We cut off dh's family. (His choice). Their actions were causing him so much stress :(

He says my parents have done more for him in 5yrs (emotionally/ psychology) than his parents ever had. :( kinda sad.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Oh, and I'm sufficiently jealous of having parents like that.   LOL!   Mine cut everyone out of their lives and refuse to speak to or see us.   They've never seen either of my youngest two and probably don't even know the 16 month old exists.

Be thankful for your folks.   Even the tough times, be so very thankful.

• xomrs.chase
    October 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    I guess it will all depend on his progress and interests :)

The $1k will be a supplement. We do plan on buying things on our own as well. (But we are on more of a budget)
    Im happy that they're being so generous! :) it opens up a lot of doors!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You COULD spend that much for the elementary years - or you could spend half that for those years and set the rest aside for high school... high school, if you outsource any classes or join some more intensive co-ops or take online courses, can run every bit OVER 1k.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    October 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    You can easily spend that much and more. Remember you have curriculum, books, kits, art supplies, computers, field trips, local classes, co-ops, manipulatives, ans sports. I spend way more than that per year. Amazon will bleed you dry if you let them. LOL You can spend very little all the way up to a small fortune.
  • Pukalani79
    October 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

That's awesome!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts