Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Beachmama34
Dangers of homeschool comparisons/ paper project speech
October 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Happy Friday! 

I am currently writing a short essay to turn into a speech for our homeschool co-op.  It's primary focus is on the dangers of comparisons we make between ourselves and other homeschool families.  For some structure I am looking for a few questions we all ask ourselves or that others ask/ assume about us.  

One question that comes up is : am I really qualified to teach my own children? (Uhm yeah)

Another is : Am I doing enough? (Curriculum choices, socialization, extracurriculars, clubs)

what other questions do you ladies ask yourselves or struggle with?

Replies

• ablackdolphin
    October 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    how do I keep from getting bored
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM

"How do I know they are learning?" I have heard that one a lot!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    October 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Question I ask myself is what do I call myself. None of them really seem to fit me. I am somewhere between eclectic and unschooling. There are so many different methods and labels. When people ask what method we use sometimes I am not sure how to answer.
  • KrissyKC
    October 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM

How can I be what each of them needs?

• KrissyKC
    October 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM

How the heck does "she" grow her own garden, can her veggies, make jellies, pies, manage to ALWAYS bring the sought after dessert to all the potlucks, grind her own wheat, make her own breads and grain producs (including granola bars with homemade granola!)... and her house still looks immaculate enough to host the ladies night out... and she has seven kids that she homeschools!!!!????!!!???!!  

• DyslexiaParent
    October 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM

ROTFLOL, KrissyKC!! That's EXACTLY what I wonder??  I can barely keep my head above water just doing the housework and homeschooling.. Our garden this summer yeilded A bell pepper... No time for canning, baking my own bread, hosting anything, etc.!

Quoting KrissyKC:

How the heck does "she" grow her own garden, can her veggies, make jellies, pies, manage to ALWAYS bring the sought after dessert to all the potlucks, grind her own wheat, make her own breads and grain producs (including granola bars with homemade granola!)... and her house still looks immaculate enough to host the ladies night out... and she has seven kids that she homeschools!!!!????!!!???!!  

• KrissyKC
    October 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

OH my!!!   ... a bell pepper...  *snort chortle laugh guffaw*...   I'm sorry...   I'm laughing so hard because I can see me in the same shoes.    

A couple years ago, we dug a garden in one place we lived.   We planted peas, pumkins, carrots, watermelon, cucumber, and a BUNCH of tomato plants.

Tomatoes did ok... and we had several cucumber...  but I never saw a single pea nor did the carrots ever sprout.   My pumkins and watermelon all split open in the sun (and became food for ants) or something so not a single one of them made it to our table.   

Ah... gardening is such a joy they told me.   You can save a LOT of money they told me...   

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

ROTFLOL, KrissyKC!! That's EXACTLY what I wonder??  I can barely keep my head above water just doing the housework and homeschooling.. Our garden this summer yeilded A bell pepper... No time for canning, baking my own bread, hosting anything, etc.!

Quoting KrissyKC:

• kirbymom
    October 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    Here's one...

"Am I teaching this right?" ???
    What do I do when they don't "get it"???
  • TidewaterClan
    October 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM

"Am I missing anything?"

"Some of the other moms seem to do so many projects, lapbooks, and crafts.  Our day is already filled, but maybe we aren't doing enough of those!"

• Beachmama34
    October 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM

These are all so excellent you guys!  Thanks so much for replying!  hope you had an excellent Saturday!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN