Homeschooling Moms

mem82
How does your backyard look?
by mem82
October 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I have to admit, I think people could tell we homeschool if they peeked in our backyard. LOL My boys are building a entire city out there. They've got old wood lean tos against our privacy fence. They've used yarn and aluminum foil to create everything from weapons to axes. Our swing set tree fort has multiple things added on and hanging off of it. It's kind of a mess unless one knew that the lean tos were actually wigwams in Cole's mind and the added things to the swing set are all parts of a pirate ship. It's so much harder to make them clean it up or throw it away when they've built such a whole world out there. Soon winter will really set in here and they'll have to take it down. *sigh* I sort of can't wait because of the mess and am sort of sad because it's always sad to see a world destroyed. LOL

Replies

• KrissyKC
    October 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

My kids don't play in the backyard much.   I have to make them.    : (      

At our last house, we LIVED between the backyard and the family room with the sliding glass door out to the backyard.   We had a garden, pools, patio with bikes, swing set, etc...

But since moving here, the kids won't play in the back yard... They prefer the front and running around with the neighbor kids and riding bikes and scooters in the street.   Plus, we are busy with activities.   We have a huge back yard, but it never gets played in.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Well, at least they aren't just sitting inside! 8)

Quoting KrissyKC:

My kids don't play in the backyard much.   I have to make them.    : (      

At our last house, we LIVED between the backyard and the family room with the sliding glass door out to the backyard.   We had a garden, pools, patio with bikes, swing set, etc...

But since moving here, the kids won't play in the back yard... They prefer the front and running around with the neighbor kids and riding bikes and scooters in the street.   Plus, we are busy with activities.   We have a huge back yard, but it never gets played in.

• paganbaby
    October 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I don't have one :-(

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Well, at least you don't have to clean it up!

Quoting paganbaby:

• AutymsMommy
    October 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

That's so sweet!

Ours looks like a typical back yard. There's a garden on a higher area and just open space otherwise (fenced in). Usually cut nicely if the yard guy recently made a visit, lol.

• paganbaby
    October 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

That's one way to look at it,lol.

Quoting mem82:

Well, at least you don't have to clean it up!

Quoting paganbaby:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

We have a huge back yard but it is filled with puncture vine plants & stickers that we just can't get rid of so the kids only play in the part that is within 40 feet of the house!

• No_Difference
    October 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Ours is a huge mess at the moment. We refuse to put a up a fence because of a stupid utility easement, so we put in two large garden beds with an arbor over them...that project has left the back in perpetual mess :/ The kids hate playing back there anyway, they'd rather play out front...in the street...with the rest of the kids. Good thing we live on a dead end raod in the middle of no where so the only traffic that goes in and out are those that live here and know there are tons of kids and dogs. Hopefully next weekend I'll finally get a chance to clean the mess up and lay down grass seed.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Yikes! Boiling water on the roots might help?

Quoting usmom3:

We have a huge back yard but it is filled with puncture vine plants & stickers that we just can't get rid of so the kids only play in the part that is within 40 feet of the house!

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Oh, the utility easement would be yucky to have in the back yard.

Quoting No_Difference:

Ours is a huge mess at the moment. We refuse to put a up a fence because of a stupid utility easement, so we put in two large garden beds with an arbor over them...that project has left the back in perpetual mess :/ The kids hate playing back there anyway, they'd rather play out front...in the street...with the rest of the kids. Good thing we live on a dead end raod in the middle of no where so the only traffic that goes in and out are those that live here and know there are tons of kids and dogs. Hopefully next weekend I'll finally get a chance to clean the mess up and lay down grass seed.

Homeschooling Moms