Homeschooling Moms

Codysmom2106
On its way to being official and
October 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I am nervous as all get out. I applied online to open our homeschool. I'm going tomorrow to fax my diploma. Then I wait for the confirmation email. After that I'm going to be even more nervous walking in to pull my son and completely terrified of teaching him at home. I'm afraid he won't listen and that he will put up a fight. That I will fail him and he won't learn enough. We can't afford an expensive boxed curriculum or even pieces from well known companies right now so we are doing the free stuff. Anyway, I am terrified. I hope I don't mess this up. But I can't keep sending him back either. He doesn't deserve to be treated the way that he has been. 

Wish us luck

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    October 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I wish you luck. Let me say that full boxed curriculums are a waste of money particularly for first time homeschoolers IMO. So that's one mistake you won't make.

Whatever mistakes you might make (and all schools and all homeschoolers will make some) they won't be as bad as the way he is being treated at school now. So everything else is gravy.

*HUGS*

• KrissyKC
    October 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Yes, don't worry about boxed curriculum.   At six you can teach him anything off the internet, library, etc...

This gives you plenty of time to research and seek out the stuff you want to use piece by piece and little by little.

If family is asking what to get you for Christmas, you could ask for Amazon gift cards so you can order used curriculum off them.   I recently bought approximately $600 worth of 7th and 8th grade literature for about $120 total.   You don't even HAVE to buy that, but we had a little extra and were interested.   A couple of the books were a penny plus shipping and handling.

• Codysmom2106
    October 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of your advice and support. 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I wish you luck. Let me say that full boxed curriculums are a waste of money particularly for first time homeschoolers IMO. So that's one mistake you won't make.

Whatever mistakes you might make (and all schools and all homeschoolers will make some) they won't be as bad as the way he is being treated at school now. So everything else is gravy.

*HUGS*

• Codysmom2106
    October 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I'm going to have to get on amazon at some point just to check it out. Thank you for the idea. I appreciate it very much.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Yes, don't worry about boxed curriculum.   At six you can teach him anything off the internet, library, etc...

This gives you plenty of time to research and seek out the stuff you want to use piece by piece and little by little.

If family is asking what to get you for Christmas, you could ask for Amazon gift cards so you can order used curriculum off them.   I recently bought approximately $600 worth of 7th and 8th grade literature for about $120 total.   You don't even HAVE to buy that, but we had a little extra and were interested.   A couple of the books were a penny plus shipping and handling.

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

You will do fine.  You can't do any worse than the school is right now.  You will have good days and bad days, but you can always come here and vent and ask questions.  Good luck!

• kirbymom
    October 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    Hi and Welcome! Mistakes? What's life without a few mistakes? Learning on the job can be so much fun and has it's own rewards. It's how we figure out that what we have either is great or in need of change. It's also how we know what direction to go in when all else fails. As for curriculum, you can utilize your local library for books and use the internet for ideas and websites to use. You can even write it yourself. There is just so much that you can do without having to spend a lot of money.
    Stop thinking that you are going to ruin him. Haven't you been raising him and teaching him hus whole life? Of course you have! Schooling is just another aspect to what you have already been doing. You can do this mama! And if you need some moral support or maybe bounce a few ideas around, come on in here and let us help. You Can do this you know.
    Hugs hugs hugs!
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I'm still on that journey.  I pulled my oldest in January and then never sent my others back after summer break.  Mistakes, check.  Grumpy days, check.  Crying and terrified they'll be morons and still living with me when they're 40, check.  BUT, I have the days when I remember what it was like sending my oldest to school and having a nervous breakdown every time the phone rang.  Or how much I began to hate his teachers and anyone who worked with him, save the few people who were compassionate.  I like me so much better now.  Maybe not everyday, but overall.  :)  And I have to say, some of my favorite things to go through with my kids and learn have been accidental finds in the library.  Good luck to you!

• Chasing3
    October 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM

good luck!

You can do it! The library is full of free books and if all you do is read, read, read then you'll be doing better than public school! 

• debramommyof4
    October 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

You will do great.  No luck needed!

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    You can do this!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts