Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
jwhit8791
My plan for less stress right now.....
October 17, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I have posted before about being stressed a little with our curriculum with the baby coming and falling "behind" in some things.  And I got a lot of great advice on here about it, but I just couldn't let it go (my bad!  LOL)

Then the other day, I had a plan.  There are certain things that I have to get done before the baby gets here and it seems like with trying to keep up with school, something has to give. About the only subject we are on track with is reading.......everything else is behind by up to two weeks.  So my plan......

When PS started we were 4 weeks ahead.  I know that we don't have to keep up with PS but for some reason that is how DH likes it.  Don't ask me why.  So that gives me a month.  Once baby girl comes, I will probably take a little time to adjust and then we will do one or two things a day.  Just science one day, or a math sheet the next.....the things that have fallen behind.  That  way, they don't fall totally out of doing school and we will get caught back up to where we need to be.

It also means that I can get the things done that I need to with minimal stress.  Only 20 days to go now.....and my list isn't getting any shorter!   

Advice, flaws, anyone else going through this?

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    You can do it!
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    October 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    I would let go of the weeks behind and ahead. I just make goals. On my white board I have Science X3, Math X3, and so forth. As we do them we just mark them off. Remember you can also homeschool lightly through the summer as well. It is what we are doing. I suggest having a lightened schedule when the baby comes. Maybe set up learning boxes and things they can do on their own. Copy work all made up. Curriculum where all you have to do is read together. Find dvd's you can use for certain subjects. How old is your child you are homeschooling? I went through a period where I was laid up for a month but that is probably the closest. I was in a lot of pain in bed. Nothing much was happening. Relax, do what you can and don't worry about what you don't get to.
  • jwhit8791
    October 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I have a 1st grader and a preschooler.  The preschooler's stuff I can make it through no problem, right now it's the 1st grader stuff that is dragging us down.  I always have good intentions of working with him for an hour or two in the morning, but then I am trying to get stuff ready for the baby coming.  Also, I have a 2yo that has decided to give up her morning naps in there also so I can't just ditch her for a few hours at a time.  LOL  It's just a hot mess right now but I know in the end it will work out.

Quoting jen2150:

I would let go of the weeks behind and ahead. I just make goals. On my white board I have Science X3, Math X3, and so forth. As we do them we just mark them off. Remember you can also homeschool lightly through the summer as well. It is what we are doing. I suggest having a lightened schedule when the baby comes. Maybe set up learning boxes and things they can do on their own. Copy work all made up. Curriculum where all you have to do is read together. Find dvd's you can use for certain subjects. How old is your child you are homeschooling? I went through a period where I was laid up for a month but that is probably the closest. I was in a lot of pain in bed. Nothing much was happening. Relax, do what you can and don't worry about what you don't get to.

• paganbaby
    October 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I think your plan sounds just fine.

• KrissyKC
    October 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I appreciate your husbands desires.   However, with three (soon to be four) kids that are 6 (or 7) and under, your homeschool just CANNOT be run like a school or keeping up with the school.   It has to operate like a homeschool.   

You will burn out trying to keep up with DH's ideals.   It's time to sit him down and discuss a realistic approach.  Maybe DH can teach the 6 yr old for a few months (while you adjust) a subject or two.   

Also, maybe your 1st grader is dragging you down because keeping in line with the public school is not how he learns best.

Quoting jwhit8791:

I have a 1st grader and a preschooler.  The preschooler's stuff I can make it through no problem, right now it's the 1st grader stuff that is dragging us down.  I always have good intentions of working with him for an hour or two in the morning, but then I am trying to get stuff ready for the baby coming.  Also, I have a 2yo that has decided to give up her morning naps in there also so I can't just ditch her for a few hours at a time.  LOL  It's just a hot mess right now but I know in the end it will work out.

Quoting jen2150:

• jwhit8791
    October 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I am not sure if that is the case.....with the dragging down.  (and now that sounds bad, it isn't like I don't like to do his school with him).  We do Sonlight and we have LA, reading, science and math everyday.  I am also wanting to add in a little art and a few other things but it hasn't happened yet.  I am not sure if I just have not figured out how to use our time effectively or what. 

I am not sure if he would be able to handle doing school with him honestly.  He might just be less patient than me with certain things.  I don't think with the head start we did get and then being willing to go into the summer next year if need be....that it will be a problem.  It is just going to work out how it does.  I am hoping for the best and trying to prepare for the worst at this point.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I appreciate your husbands desires.   However, with three (soon to be four) kids that are 6 (or 7) and under, your homeschool just CANNOT be run like a school or keeping up with the school.   It has to operate like a homeschool.   

You will burn out trying to keep up with DH's ideals.   It's time to sit him down and discuss a realistic approach.  Maybe DH can teach the 6 yr old for a few months (while you adjust) a subject or two.   

Also, maybe your 1st grader is dragging you down because keeping in line with the public school is not how he learns best.

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting jen2150:

• kirbymom
    October 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Sweety, doing the best you can do is All you should be doing. You're right when you you talk about things working out. You will do so much better if you can stick to that thought of things turning iut alright and relax to the best of your abilities. I was in the same place 4 years ago.
    If you do a little bit here and ther lije you plan, you will do just fine.

Yiu can do this!! Hugs to you. :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts