Homeschooling Moms

tinkerspell
kinda behind!
October 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
she is up to grade on math, spelling,reading she finished her stuff for this year but writing and l.a she still has stuff to do. L.A not to worried its only a few pages but writing is like 250 pages behind. so what do i do know make her finsh that before going on to second grade or do i just incorperrate it into this year as well. im just so confused about what would be the best choice here.

Replies

• QueenCreole313
    October 16, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    Don't worry mama. She's never behind. She's at her own pace. I don't believe in rushing to be on "grade level". That's what leads to frustrations. Grade levels were created to monitor classroom education. She's doing great as long as she is learning!
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    October 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Is she a reader? There is a direct relationship between reading a lot to becoming a good writer. I wouldn't worry about writing until upper elementary. It is more important to develop a love of reading and writing. I have plenty of books we have been working for awhile. We have too many tangents. LOL
  • ablackdolphin
    October 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    This!

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Don't worry mama. She's never behind. She's at her own pace. I don't believe in rushing to be on "grade level". That's what leads to frustrations. Grade levels were created to monitor classroom education. She's doing great as long as she is learning!
  • TidewaterClan
    October 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    My youngest isn't as excited about writing this year. She's in 3rd and was pushed and pushed to write in 1st & 2nd in ps. She's gotten excited about history, science, books, etc., so I've asked her to write a short paper each time instead of using a dictated writing book. She's enjoying it so much more and has covered nonfiction, fiction, small moment, poems, and more this way.
  • Leissaintexas
    October 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Who says she's behind? You're the boss, only you decide if she's behind. Don't let the curriculum be your boss. If she still has 250 pages left, then move on with everything else and finish those pages at your leisure.

• KrissyKC
    October 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

We are always "behind"... LOL!

There's just too much life to experience, learn, and explore right now.   When the weather turns icy and too cold to be outside, we will have plenty of time to snuggle and catch up.

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Yeah, I don't push writing that hard at this age.  Let her go at her pace for it.  Move on with everything else and just do what feels right with the writing.  She will be fine.

• kirbymom
    October 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    Behind? By whose standards? Yours or the systems?

In our school, I do not teach to grade level. I teach to mental and physical ability-understanding. For example I have a seven year old who is learning algebra, knows the multiplication tables through twelve, but is just now getting comfortable with reading. He has learned how to tell analog time as well as digital time. He knows money and how to calculate it. He is all over the schooling map.
    What I am poorly trying to point out is, you teach to what your child's understanding is no matter where that is.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I agree with the other Moms she is never behind if she is learning!

• tinkerspell
    October 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    Quoting kirbymom:

Behind? By whose standards? Yours or the systems?

In our school, I do not teach to grade level. I teach to mental and physical ability-understanding. For example I have a seven year old who is learning algebra, knows the multiplication tables through twelve, but is just now getting comfortable with reading. He has learned how to tell analog time as well as digital time. He knows money and how to calculate it. He is all over the schooling map.
    What I am poorly trying to point out is, you teach to what your child's understanding is no matter where that is.
    wow thaats crazy lol

Homeschooling Moms